feeling disheartened

Options
In need of some serious motivation.. started at 154 lbs, went down to 146 lbs, was doing so well! Felt really proud.

THEN, gone back up to 150 lbs in the past week because of going off track. I know this sounds minor but its knocked my confidence that I can get to my goal weight of 134 lbs.

I need some words of motivation from you guys please!! I'm starting fresh today.. healthy eating and starting running..

Replies

• Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're here then that must mean you still care! You can do it! Find your support system (feel free to add me if you'd like). It's such a hard road and it will always be hard. Don't give up because you deserve better than that. :flowerforyou:
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In need of some serious motivation.. started at 154 lbs, went down to 146 lbs, was doing so well! Felt really proud.

THEN, gone back up to 150 lbs in the past week because of going off track. I know this sounds minor but its knocked my confidence that I can get to my goal weight of 134 lbs.

I need some words of motivation from you guys please!! I'm starting fresh today.. healthy eating and starting running..

If you only fell off track for a week then that's simply water weight, glycogen, and other stuff. It's not permanent weight gain. You have to realize that you can't diet forever. At one point in time, you'll go on maintenance and as soon as you do, you'll gain some weight back but it's not fat. You won't ever gain a ton of fat in one week or two weeks. It's rare unless you're eating at a buffet everyday.

Also, scratch healthy eating. Eat to suit your lifestyle. The difference between you eating during a diet and you eating in a normal life is simply calories. That's it. This doesn't mean eat only chocolate and such but simply be reasonable.

In the end, think of losing weight as a temporary, difficult endeavour to reach a desired body. It's just a few months away. What is a few months? Nothing.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not giving up!
    I see you plan to start running. That's great.
    Don't let things get dull.
    Keep switching it up. Find something you really have fun with :)
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad! Just stick with it and good things will happen :) I have problems like this all the time lol. For example, Friday morning I weighed 136.5 pounds and this morning I weigh 139.8 pounds lol. I went out drinking Friday night and this is the result. But I know if I just keep at it the weight will come off. Never give up! The days and weeks will pass anyway, and if you give up, then you will accomplish nothing. But if you stick with it then you will see a change!

Here's how I'm looking at it: my hubby works away from home, he's gone for weeks at a time. Right now, he's home for his spring break, so he'll be here for another 4-5 weeks (and he's already been home for three). When he's gone, I find it very easy to eat healthy and workout, but when he's home we party and he eats nothing but crap so I find myself partying and eating some crappy food too. Last year, when he came home, I gave up and gained most of my weight back. But this year I'm still "trying" to workout daily and eat mostly healthy. Since he's been home for three weeks, I haven't lost any weight, but I haven't gained any either. So, for myself, this is an accomplishment! It would be so easy to just give up and have a repeat of last year, but I don't want that so I'll just keep on trying to lose weight and I'll be happy if I manage to maintain until he goes back lol.

Do these weight gain setbacks suck? You betcha! But if you give up then you'll continue to gain and be even more disheartened than you are now.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Based on your photo, you appear to be a tall person. I'm petite and have the same weight issues as yourself. My goal weight at the moment is 140lbs. Got my weight down to 148, had a mini spring break earlier in the week and didn't exercise like I should have. Usually when I do work out, I'm bring it on and try to burn at least 500 -600 cals. Checked the scale this morning and my weights back to 151. I'm not happy at all about this but I'm not quitting. I'm going for a walk and count my blessings that I can enjoy this day. We all want to lose weight, but don't stress or make a big deal if you have a set back. This is all a part of the process but you have to get back up swinging.
  • luce262
    luce262 Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for the comments :) I've defintely over eaten on calories in the past week and its annoyed me because the weight will go on so easily but if I am strict with calories and eat healthy, it doesn't go off as easily! I did have a slight binge eating session the other day and I used to do this when I was younger- I'd eat and eat junk food until I couldn't eat any more.

16 pounds seems like so far to go but determined to get there.

I've found a place to go running so I'm gonna force myself to go, any ideas how often I should start off? I'm aming to eat around 1400-1500 cals if I'm exercising regularly.

One other thing I have a problem with is weighing myself constantly! I've told myself I'm not allowed to weigh myself for a week but it scares me not knowing if i've gained or lost.. the feeling of not weighing yourself for a week and seeing results must be so good though, I've never known what that feels like because I'm never off the scales, its a bad habit!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Luce,
    Get off the scale!!!! You're gonna make yourself crazy (I was there, I know!) Any way, what was suggested to me when I started running was this: Get a stopwatch (doesn't have to be fancy, just counts up/counts down-whichever works for you) start out walking on a known walking distance, walk for about 5 minutes to stretch your legs out, start jogging and time yourself to jog for up to a minute then drop back down to walking. Just keep doing this back and forth. Once this starts getting too easy, start adding 30 secs to your jogging time. Just keep working your way up until you can jog the whole distance (I was walking 3 miles so I used that as my known distance and was jogging 1.5 miles when I upped my total distance to 4 miles and jogging 2 and started working towards the 4 miles (I had to stop due to an injury caused by another activity.) The other thing that I would recommend is make sure you have good (not necessarily expensive, but good) jogging shoes and make sure that you replace them approximately every 6 months to prevent injury.
    Good luck, don't worry about the set back, you'll bounce back asap!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    That is normal. I was stuck at 190 lbs for nearly 2 months, then one day, boom, I started falling a pound a day right down to 184lbs. It was great. Now, I am back up to 186-188lbs, but when I started I was at 203lbs, so it is a big success. You are already ahead. Just keep doing what you are doing. Eventually, the weight will start shedding. it just takes time. You can't expect results in a week or two.