Hi! New Here!

Options
Hello, this is my first post. I'm new here and I'm looking to lose weight. My heavy weight has resulted in a damaged knee which has sharp pain whenever I put any weight on it! Makes walking and climbing stairs a real challenge!. My doctor said I could have knee replacement surgery if I can get down to 280 lbs. I currently weigh 415 lbs. - so, I need to drop 135 lbs of ugly useless fat!

With persistence and dedication I think I can succeed! Good luck to all with your goals!

Regards!

Don't let yourself go...unless you can get back!

Regards!

Replies

• Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And congrats for getting started.
  • SexyJaye
    SexyJaye Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't think! We know you can succeed! Hang on and stay on here ya! Congrats on your 1st step to weight loss
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    If you think you can then that is all you will do. You have to know you can lose the weight needed to get your knee surgery. Welcome. MFP works if you work it. Success is never giving up!!
  • juliewalker1
    Options
    You will and can do it, we are all here to support you. well done on your first step you've chosen the right site i joined just over a week and have so much support I am sure you will,
  • sistersam
    sistersam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water aerobics would be great exercise for you. It's a wonderful way to help get moving.
  • skinnypopgirl
    skinnypopgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good job, just getting started is the hard part. Try a new exercise such as Reformer Pilates, it is easy on the body (especially the knees ) yet a great workout. You don't need luck on your journey just determination.
  • hoffo83
    hoffo83 Posts: 51
    Options
    good luck to you!!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step, that's the important thing.

They say weight loss id 20% exercise and 80% food. If you can't exercise at the moment, concentrate on your daily intake and the weight should drop off, soon you'll be ready for exercise.

If you are looking for friends, feel free to add me.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! And kudos to your MD for sticking to his guns on this. There are some docs that will do a TKA on anyone because all they care about is the $$ in their pockets from doing the surgery, but the outcomes in people who are severely overweight are not good, so losing the weight is the best thing for YOU and your knee in the long term.

I know it may not sound appealing, but I'd highly recommend pool exercise to help you reach your goals faster. If you don't want to go to a public pool, try finding a physical therapy clinic that has a pool. Many times, they can see you for an evaluation and to put together an exercise program for you, then you can get a "membership" to their pool to go in and exercise on your own. And they'll generally let you wear shorts and a t-shirt if you don't feel comfortable in a bathing suit. I don't want to assume anything about you, but those are generally the excuses I hear for people not wanting to get in the pool.

Exercising in addition to dieting will also make you stronger which will make you do better after your knee surgery. The rest of your body is going to need to be strong enough to make up for the fact that your operative knee isn't going to take a lot of pressure at first. Yes, you can put as much weight as you can tolerate on the operative knee right after surgery, but it won't be pain free initially because the surgery itself is painful. Once the surgical pain subsides, you will probably love your new knee, but getting through the post-surgical process will take a lot of strength in the rest of your body, including your arms and upper body (walking on a walker takes arm strength).

Good luck! Here's to your health :-)
    Jen
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! And kudos to your MD for sticking to his guns on this. There are some docs that will do a TKA on anyone because all they care about is the $$ in their pockets from doing the surgery, but the outcomes in people who are severely overweight are not good, so losing the weight is the best thing for YOU and your knee in the long term.

I know it may not sound appealing, but I'd highly recommend pool exercise to help you reach your goals faster. If you don't want to go to a public pool, try finding a physical therapy clinic that has a pool. Many times, they can see you for an evaluation and to put together an exercise program for you, then you can get a "membership" to their pool to go in and exercise on your own. And they'll generally let you wear shorts and a t-shirt if you don't feel comfortable in a bathing suit. I don't want to assume anything about you, but those are generally the excuses I hear for people not wanting to get in the pool.

Exercising in addition to dieting will also make you stronger which will make you do better after your knee surgery. The rest of your body is going to need to be strong enough to make up for the fact that your operative knee isn't going to take a lot of pressure at first. Yes, you can put as much weight as you can tolerate on the operative knee right after surgery, but it won't be pain free initially because the surgery itself is painful. Once the surgical pain subsides, you will probably love your new knee, but getting through the post-surgical process will take a lot of strength in the rest of your body, including your arms and upper body (walking on a walker takes arm strength).

Good luck! Here's to your health :-)
    Jen

Thanks very much for this information. It is very practical for me too since I will eventually have to have knee replacement surgery also.
  • LETTYRP05
    LETTYRP05 Posts: 36
    Options
    I know how you feel