Work out drinks

Options
Second and last discussion for today.

I'm a sucker for a well known brand of workout drinks.... Their "raspberry Body Fuel. Yum! Given the fact that there is about 135 calories per drink... anyone got any alternatives? Obviously water... but i kinda like to have something with more flavour... And i do enjoy and feel like i need the boost the the Body Fuel gives me....

Thoughts? Views? Alternatives?

I'm guessing water is best for working out?

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like Crystal Lite. Lame, I know, but water does get boring. I also like True Lemon in my water. They're little packets of powdered lemon. Much more portable than lemon wedges. It comes in lime and orange, too.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish with your workout drink? I think that's the first thing to look at before collecting answers.
  • ecward75
    ecward75 Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't think I've evr really thought about that Sidesteal. I suppose something to remain hydrated (obviously) with a little bit of an energy boost. I do more cardio than weights
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Spark is quite nice for that.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've evr really thought about that Sidesteal. I suppose something to remain hydrated (obviously) with a little bit of an energy boost. I do more cardio than weights

First of all I don't think there's anything inherently BAD about using a supplement for energy, but I DO think that it might be in your best interest to look at your pre-workout nutrition first (experiment in this regard as this is completely personal preference).

There's a reasonable chance that you won't need to supplement at all. Drink water to hydrate.
  • ecward75
    ecward75 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks both
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like powdered gatorade used at half strength when I'm sweating a lot, but not enough to warrant a full serving of gatorade. It's cheap, tasty, low calorie and has 14 grams of simple carbs to keep me going during long or hard workouts. But plain water should be fine for less intense activity. I do TurboFire and Insanity, so I'm doing pretty intense cardio.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Recipe for homemade Gatorade/ Powerade:

1 part 100% Juice
    1 part water
    dash of salt

:)
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options

It also depends on how long / Intense your workouts are.

Personally I use a mixture of 1 part apple juice (same quality which is listed as "Apple juice - Canned or bottled, unsweetened" in the food database) and 2 parts of water when I do my biking workouts (2-3 times a week) which are quite intense and last for at least 1 hour (average HR at ~80-85 max pulse).

I'm not sure that the added apple juice really does much for my performance - my performance depends much more on how well I've eaten during the day and the day before the workout - also it depends on how well I've hydrated in the 4-6 hours leading up to the workout. But as I train late in the evening it is a good way for me to ensure that I replenish some energy without having to interfere too much with my normal eating patterns.

When I run (~30 minutes) or in general work out less than 45 minutes or at low intensity I prefer pure water for re-hydration only - if I even bother to drink during the work-out.

If I was doing endurance training (for me workouts at /above 70% max pulse average for more than 2 hours) I would probably be much more concerned with my energy intake/salt balance than I am currently.

But as I don't know the length / intensity of your workouts it's somewhat difficult to give any real advice.