Surviving Holiday Dinner

Options
I shared this with my friends list, but decided it was worth sharing with all!

Going to give you a few hints out of the dreamy rule-book to stay on target while surrounded by delish holiday food:

1. Take no more than two bites worth of those creamy or fat-laden dishes our families love to make. You get to taste the food and not feel deprived, your family is not offended about you being "too good" to eat it, and you won't kill your macros.

2. Make sure that there is salad and/or veggies so you can fill the space in your tummy with good stuff.

3. Your typical gravy ladle is about 2 TBSP. For Ham Gravy, that is 180 calories, and for turkey gravy, that is about 60 calories. Think before you drown your food.

4. A serving of homeade mashed potatoes is about the size of an ice cream scoop. This is about 1/2 cup and is 160 calories (unless my nana made them in which case they are made with cream and butter and are about 200 calories per serving)

5. One deviled egg (1/2 of an egg) is 90 calories unless made with light mayo, then it is 50 calories.

6. 14 jelly beans is 150 calories. That is about 10 calories per jelly bean. Remember this every time you walk by the candy dish.

7. 2 oz of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. A 2oz serving of ham is 60-90 calories and a 2oz serving of turkey breast with no skin is 50-70 calories. Turkey is lower in sodium than ham, but both are a good source of protien.

8. Don't deprive yourself, but make healthy choices. If there is a veggie tray next to the egg tray, take one egg and fill up on veggies.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!!

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    you are awesome!!!!! mwah!!!!!!!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how the holiday meals look to you when you start to become aware of the way one eats? We take good veggies and "starch them up" (green bean casserole), make Jell-o into something really calorie laden (don't use sugar free, add in sour cream and sugar laden strawberries - not that strawberries themselves are bad - we soak them in sugar to make a syrup) as in a jello salad, serve TWO kinds of potatoes AND breads, two kinds of desserts, after dinner drinks etc. THEN there is the Easter basket.

Oh, and make sure you cook TOO much so that you are eating leftovers for a week.

Good post, OP and congrats on that wonderful loss per your ticker!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This will help!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Bump!

This will come in handy today! I have to cook and eat with my clients before going home to another dinner. I already plan on loading up on the veggies for the first dinner so that I can enjoy myself at the family dinner and not have to worry too much.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this!!! I think you just helped me get thru this day without "pigging out". I'm working on portion control, but still am having a hard time with it. Thanks again!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Going to give you a few hints out of the dreamy rule-book to stay on target while surrounded by delish holiday food:

1. Take no more than two bites worth of those creamy or fat-laden dishes our families love to make. You get to taste the food and not feel deprived, your family is not offended about you being "too good" to eat it, and you won't kill your macros.

8. Don't deprive yourself, but make healthy choices. If there is a veggie tray next to the egg tray, take one egg and fill up on veggies.

Don't deprive yourself but only eat two bites worth of creamy or fat-ladden dishes? You do realize those two contradict each other right? By only eating two bites, you are depriving yourself of something you may really want.. so why not eat a normal portion and not eat something that you are not so crazy about? That makes more sense.

I'm going out to restaurant with my parents and plan on enjoying every bite. I'm sorry but Creme Brule from Flemming's Restaurant deserves more than two bites.. and I plan to give it those two bites and more.

(I realize I prob. will get flamed for my comments.. and I'm ok with that... so flame away :) )
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am hosting dinner... which is a great way to make it healthy. My potato salad got a makeover. It has 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup light mayo and 1/2 cup regular mayo, then some pickle juice to thin it out. My husband ate some -- can't tell the difference. It has 200 cals per CUP. We are also having grilled Salmon, grilled Asparagus and grilled corn on the cob.

Dessert is strawberry/peach short cake. For a serving of Angel food cake, sugared fruit and real whipped cream (1/4 cup) it is about 300 cals. This dinner is do-able! I HOPE to stay under today, even though the gym is closed.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am hosting dinner... which is a great way to make it healthy. My potato salad got a makeover. It has 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup light mayo and 1/2 cup regular mayo, then some pickle juice to thin it out. My husband ate some -- can't tell the difference. It has 200 cals per CUP. We are also having grilled Salmon, grilled Asparagus and grilled corn on the cob.

Dessert is strawberry/peach short cake. For a serving of Angel food cake, sugared fruit and real whipped cream (1/4 cup) it is about 300 cals. This dinner is do-able! I HOPE to stay under today, even though the gym is closed.

I reaaaaaaally wanted grilled salmon as it is one of my favorite dishes and my Dad is a master griller. We are having Turkey and Ham, but I love Turkey anyway.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

Don't deprive yourself but only eat two bites worth of creamy or fat-ladden dishes? You do realize those two contradict each other right? By only eating two bites, you are depriving yourself of something you may really want.. so why not eat a normal portion and not eat something that you are not so crazy about? That makes more sense.

I'm going out to restaurant with my parents and plan on enjoying every bite. I'm sorry but Creme Brule from Flemming's Restaurant deserves more than two bites.. and I plan to give it those two bites and more.

(I realize I prob. will get flamed for my comments.. and I'm ok with that... so flame away :) )

It sounds like you are using this as a cheat day, and that is fine. That means this post isn't for you anyway. The purpose of this is to help people survive and stay within their calorie goals without completely foregoing something they love. One can enjoy the holiday in moderation and still not completely end up over calories by more than their defecit. So many people have posted that they don't know how they will make it through today as it is their first major holiday since they started trying to lose weight. This post is to help them stay on track.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    i did an 800 calorie burn,this morning,and will do another 800 cal burn,this evening,if I need to. I'm not going to worry about what I eat. Will spend my time enjoying family and friends,instead of counting calories.
    :happy:
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions and tip. Thanks for sharing :-)
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Not from me. I'd much rather have a nice portion of something awesome than 2 bites of stuff that is only OK. I'm also going for a run in just a few. I'd rather lose weight a little more slowly and actually enjoy life.
  • trehamilton
    Options
    Thanks very much for this information!!! Knowing how many calories are in foods helps me choose a little differently so I can lose weight!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Squeeze in a workout of any length you can do today to help offset the anticipated large brunch/dinner.
  • krstal02
    krstal02 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The purpose of this is to help people survive and stay within their calorie goals without completely foregoing something they love.

Question is, "why?" Why care on one single day? It won't make a lick of difference in the long run. Why sacrifice a day where you are with family and great food? I understand you're being helpful but you're advocating for being unnecessarily conscious for no reason. It's a single day. I will never, ever forgo an excellent meal just to stay within my calories. People should learn to eat until they are satisfied. There is life after dieting. If you can't go to a holiday feast and eat until you are content (this means eat until you're 80% full but not to the point of puking like many do) then there will be issues down the road. Easter happens once a year. People should enjoy it without worrying about losing weight. Weight loss efforts won't be stifled. It shouldn't be called a cheat either because that has negative connotations.

Also, I dislike that you imply veggies are some how healthier than eggs. That's simply not true either.

Personally, I've always combated big dinners by fasting beforehand. It works miracles and allows for you to eat more without worrying.
  • missmelissavpk
    missmelissavpk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love your post. Clearly you worked for all 189 lbs you lost. Keep it up mama!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    So to clarify, if you are going to burn 1000 calories today because you have time to workout - great. If you are using this as a cheat day - great. That means this post is not for you. For most people, today consists of shuttling the family to other people's houses and hoping there is something there that is not 500 calories for a single serving. This post was intended to help people who will stress about "blowing it" to de-stress by being aware. Take it as you want, but for those who already have it worked out, awesomeness...you are one step ahead of the majority.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    thanks for the tips
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    The purpose of this is to help people survive and stay within their calorie goals without completely foregoing something they love.

Also, I dislike that you imply veggies are some how healthier than eggs. That's simply not true either.

Ummmm...deviled eggs made with mayo are NOT healtier than veggies...just' saying

Also, if this won't work for you...great. However, many people on here are either recovered or recovering binge eaters. What you suggest about just eating the fatty and creamy foods until you are full doesn't work with everyone. These are tips to be helpful...sorry that I tried.