What Meal Replacement/Protein shake to use?

Options
Hey there, I have been using Slim Fast for a meal replacement for the last couple weeks. It has helped me lose some weight but I was just wondering if there is something better out there? These are some of the ones I have heard of: Shakeology, Herbalife, Ideal Shape, and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were? I cant really afford the most expensive one which is Shakeology at $119 for 30 servings. Herbalife is $30 for 30 servings and Ideal Shape is $50 for 30 servings. I was thinking of trying Herbalife. Anyone every used Herbalife? I have done research on each of these and if I had a lot of extra money I would defiantly try Shakeology but since I dont I am thinking I might try Herbalife.

Replies

• DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I use Syntha 6 for breakfast most mornings because I'm a morning procrastinator. It is meant as a meal replacement. 200cals and 22g of 6 differently metabolizing proteins. The chocolate mint also has 5g of fiber and lower overall cholesterol. I do one after long cardio as well, supplemented with glutamine and some other stuff. Vitamin Shoppe has them on sale right now for $29 for a 3# tub. Lasts me two weeks.
  • con326
    con326 Posts: 2
    Options
    GNC total lean. Good flavor and it's cheaper to buy the pre mixed then the powder
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really like Labrada Lean Body Carb Watcher.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I use EAS AdvantEdge shakes, they're like $5 for 5 at Walmart, or $27 for a case at Sam's Club. 17grams of protein and I think 3g of carbs.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with meal replacements. They're expensive and most of the time contain subpar ingredients. I'd purchase a quality, cheap whey protein and simply add stuff to it.

Take the AdvantEdge for example. $1 for 17g of protein, most of which is soy isolate, is pretty pointless. Your Herbalife, for two scoops, is only 13g of carbs and 9g of protein, most of which is soy isolate.

I get, on the other hand, 45g of protein for every dollar from my whey. You see the massive difference? To my whey, I can add a cup of milk and berries in a blender then take a multi-vitamin with it. Taadaa! You have something that is quite similar to these meal replacements for a fraction of the cost. Takes me only around a minute. Sure, it's not 0 minutes like a meal replacement but at least it saves you money on buying mediocre ingredients.

P.S. I have nothing against soy. It's just a cheap filler that you're paying a lot for.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with meal replacements. They're expensive and most of the time contain subpar ingredients. I'd purchase a quality, cheap whey protein and simply add stuff to it.

Take the AdvantEdge for example. $1 for 17g of protein, most of which is soy isolate, is pretty pointless. Your Herbalife, for two scoops, is only 13g of carbs and 9g of protein, most of which is soy isolate.

I get, on the other hand, 45g of protein for every dollar from my whey. You see the massive difference? To my whey, I can add a cup of milk and berries in a blender then take a multi-vitamin with it. Taadaa! You have something that is quite similar to these meal replacements for a fraction of the cost. Takes me only around a minute. Sure, it's not 0 minutes like a meal replacement but at least it saves you money on buying mediocre ingredients.

P.S. I have nothing against soy. It's just a cheap filler that you're paying a lot for.

this is very true. get whey protein
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This.

Try any whey isolate - most of them have less than 1 gram of sugar with low carbs.
    Anything else is a waste of money.
  • Philchang
    Options
    I use a bulk soy protein powder from my grocery store's bulk food bin. I add wheat flour for low glycemic carbs (I'm diabetic). I add a half banana and some blueberries. Gives me 399 calories, 30g of carbs, 64g of protein.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Usually just a whey protein shake, 2-3 scoops with skim milk. This is usually my meal immediately after working out, but I use it on some days when I don't have time to cook fish/chicken as a high protein meal.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If anything check out whey protein like Syntrax, or for a great meal replacement, Shakeology.
  • ems3170
    ems3170 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take the Body by Vi 90 day challenge!! Shakes taste great, lots of variety and you can get your products for free by getting some people to join the challenge with you!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I just tried my first Now Foods pea protein, unflavored, non-GMO. I liked it, and I was not expecting to. 28 g protein for 130 calories, and I got it at drugstore.com for $17, for 28 servings.
  • Marezyy
    Marezyy Posts: 1
    Options
    Right Size Smoothies are delicious. Not too expensive if you mail order from cvs.
  • ashleyregan8
    ashleyregan8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should definetly try LivingFuel SuperBerry or SuperGreens (www.livingfuel.ca) THEY ARE AMAZING! All organic , NOn GMO vegetarian and TASTE amazing. Only 300 Calories a serving loaded with superfoods, protein, vitamins, minerals mmm
    I have had amazing results with my weight, energy and productivity!