Surviving Holiday Dinner

Options

Replies

• Helenacabral1
    Options
    Great post!!Some people need help to control them self on Holidays!Everyone is different and i thank u for posting this!!Happy Easter!!:happy:
  • valeriecozart
    Options
    Great post! These are really great ideas that I'm sure will help a lot of MFP folks out. Thank you for sharing!
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I for one am very glad you posted this! For those folks out there that got offended or even angry at your suggestions I'd like to point out that...the eating whatever the hell I want and you ain't gonna tell me no different attitude is why we're all fluffy in the first place. So please do go eat, drink and be Merry today. I'll stay with in my calorie count and enjoy my family time. It's not the food that brings us together it's the family.
  • scutes
    scutes Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. One note, a serving of meat is 3 oz. (about the size of a deck of cards)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I for one am very glad you posted this! For those folks out there that got offended or even angry at your suggestions I'd like to point out that...the eating whatever the hell I want and you ain't gonna tell me no different attitude is why we're all fluffy in the first place. So please do go eat, drink and be Merry today. I'll stay with in my calorie count and enjoy my family time. It's not the food that brings us together it's the family.

Thank you...you eloquently said what I was trying to get across.
  • scutes
    Options
    The purpose of this is to help people survive and stay within their calorie goals without completely foregoing something they love.

Question is, "why?" Why care on one single day? It won't make a lick of difference in the long run. Why sacrifice a day where you are with family and great food? I understand you're being helpful but you're advocating for being unnecessarily conscious for no reason. It's a single day. I will never, ever forgo an excellent meal just to stay within my calories. People should learn to eat until they are satisfied. There is life after dieting. If you can't go to a holiday feast and eat until you are content (this means eat until you're 80% full but not to the point of puking like many do) then there will be issues down the road. Easter happens once a year. People should enjoy it without worrying about losing weight. Weight loss efforts won't be stifled. It shouldn't be called a cheat either because that has negative connotations.

Also, I dislike that you imply veggies are some how healthier than eggs. That's simply not true either.

Personally, I've always combated big dinners by fasting beforehand. It works miracles and allows for you to eat more without worrying.

I think the problem some people run into when thinking "It's only one day so it's okay to splurge" is that the same can be said for all of the holidays, birthdays, weddings, baby showers, etc. It's great that you found something that works for you, but some people are still figuring out what works for them and welcome the acvice. Also, to say deviled eggs are as healthy as an egg (cooked over easy, for example) is simply not true.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options

I for one,eat what I want,when I want. I do make healthy choices and exercise everyday. Days like this I exercise more,and eat what I want. I have lost 18 lbs in the last 38 days,so guess it works just fine,to eat what you want,when you want.
    :happy:
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    the eating whatever the hell I want and you ain't gonna tell me no different attitude is why we're all fluffy in the first place.

It really isn't, though. The reason any of us got "fluffy" is because we overate constantly for extended periods of time. Many of the people here have no conception of eating until content. It's either go big or go home.
    I think the problem some people run into when thinking "It's only one day so it's okay to splurge" is that the same can be said for all of the holidays, birthdays, weddings, baby showers, etc. It's great that you found something that works for you, but some people are still figuring out what works for them and welcome the acvice.

Those are, what, 20-25 occasions in a year? Do you really think anyone here got fat from that? Or from the fact that they ate the same way on those 20-25 occasions a year every single day for the entire year? And do you really think those occasions impede fat loss?
    Also, to say deviled eggs are as healthy as an egg (cooked over easy, for example) is simply not true.

But it is true. Foods aren't inherently unhealthy or healthy. Just because I ate a chocolate bar instead of half a cucumber today doesn't mean the chocolate bar was not as healthy as the cucumber in the context that I wouldn't be any healthier if I ate said cucumber. People on here have no idea what constitutes healthy or unhealthy. Foods aren't healthy or unhealthy, only the diet. It's a difficult concept for many to grasp because it sounds so farfetched, contrary to what many have suggested.

Furthermore, it also depends on how you make the deviled eggs, so to say it's unhealthier than a "healthy" egg (whatever that may mean but that is simply arbitrary and ambiguous) isn't true. Similarly, to say that a deviled egg is healthier or unhealthier isn't true either. What matters is context, the entire diet. One day of "unhealthy" eating doesn't make you unhealthy.
  • scutes
    Options
    the eating whatever the hell I want and you ain't gonna tell me no different attitude is why we're all fluffy in the first place.

It really isn't, though. The reason any of us got "fluffy" is because we overate constantly for extended periods of time. Many of the people here have no conception of eating until content. It's either go big or go home.
    I think the problem some people run into when thinking "It's only one day so it's okay to splurge" is that the same can be said for all of the holidays, birthdays, weddings, baby showers, etc. It's great that you found something that works for you, but some people are still figuring out what works for them and welcome the acvice.

Those are, what, 20-25 occasions in a year? Do you really think anyone here got fat from that? Or from the fact that they ate the same way on those 20-25 occasions a year every single day for the entire year? And do you really think those occasions impede fat loss?
    Also, to say deviled eggs are as healthy as an egg (cooked over easy, for example) is simply not true.

But it is true. Foods aren't inherently unhealthy or healthy. Just because I ate a chocolate bar instead of half a cucumber today doesn't mean the chocolate bar was not as healthy as the cucumber in the context that I wouldn't be any healthier if I ate said cucumber. People on here have no idea what constitutes healthy or unhealthy. Foods aren't healthy or unhealthy, only the diet. It's a difficult concept for many to grasp because it sounds so farfetched, contrary to what many have suggested.

Furthermore, it also depends on how you make the deviled eggs, so to say it's unhealthier than a "healthy" egg (whatever that may mean but that is simply arbitrary and ambiguous) isn't true. Similarly, to say that a deviled egg is healthier or unhealthier isn't true either. What matters is context, the entire diet. One day of "unhealthy" eating doesn't make you unhealthy.

I know for me, those occasions do impede weight loss/maintenenace. Everyone is different so maybe the same is not true for you.

As far as foods not being healthy or unhealthy, I disagree. An apple is a healthy food. A Twinkie is not a healthy food. The main ingredient to make deviled eggs is mayonnaise, which is calorie dense and high in fat and has zero nutritional value. Eggs on their own are a more balanced food - yes they have fat but they have a high nutritional value. You are right about the way it's prepared, I'm sure there are healthier recipes out there. I was referring to the traditional way of making them. So, in my opinion, one is healthier than the other. That doesn't mean you can't include "less healthy" foods in to a balanced diet and be healthy. I think the most successful, balanced diets include a variety of foods, including treats and sweets.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    But it is true. Foods aren't inherently unhealthy or healthy. Just because I ate a chocolate bar instead of half a cucumber today doesn't mean the chocolate bar was not as healthy as the cucumber in the context that I wouldn't be any healthier if I ate said cucumber. People on here have no idea what constitutes healthy or unhealthy. Foods aren't healthy or unhealthy, only the diet. It's a difficult concept for many to grasp because it sounds so farfetched, contrary to what many have suggested. Furthermore, it also depends on how you make the deviled eggs, so to say it's unhealthier than a "healthy" egg (whatever that may mean but that is simply arbitrary and ambiguous) isn't true. Similarly, to say that a deviled egg is healthier or unhealthier isn't true either. What matters is context, the entire diet. One day of "unhealthy" eating doesn't make you unhealthy.
    It is very clear you just like to argue and you think you know everything. This is an option for some and not for others, and not everyone is the same. Why don't you leave the thread and go to where people say they are going to eat anything and everything they want over the holidays because clearly that is where you stand. It wasn't a thread telling everyone that they should eat this way, it was a reasonable and healthy option.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The awesomeness of the internet is that there is always something to whine and complain about.

The OP made a good post that was meant to be helpful in helping folks (like me) who tend to overeat and are fairly uneducated about how many calories what carries and tips on how to avoid some of the items.

Yes, its one day. Then there is another day. Then another. I have spent the last 10 years using the next day excuse. Its great that it worked for you but please, dont speak for all of us

In short, awesome post and thankyou very much. Dont let the negetivity get to you
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    The awesomeness of the internet is that there is always something to whine and complain about.

The OP made a good post that was meant to be helpful in helping folks (like me) who tend to overeat and are fairly uneducated about how many calories what carries and tips on how to avoid some of the items.

Yes, its one day. Then there is another day. Then another. I have spent the last 10 years using the next day excuse. Its great that it worked for you but please, dont speak for all of us

In short, awesome post and thankyou very much. Dont let the negetivity get to you

Thanks riz....you are pure awesomeness. So is everyone else who saw this as a handy helpful guide, not the catch-all you must do this or suffer the consequences that others seem to think it is.

Happy Easter All!!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Well, add me to the list of people who appreciate the advice! Yes, I wanted to use today as a "free" day, but not "WILD and free". A few suggestions for how to enjoy the day without overindulging to the point where I feel guilty and discouraged tomorrow were very welcome!
    I really don't see the point to the criticisms of the OP's thread. Her purpose was to help those who wanted, not to convince anyone that they had to think like her. If you don't want to limit yourself in any way on a holiday, that's your business, and I completely understand why you'd feel that way. But why criticize the OP for trying to aid those who think differently, or perhaps are trying to choose a more middle of the road approach?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. There are good tips in here for any holiday not just this one.

If you want to eat like a pig on the holidays and can do it without a problem, then go for it. Not everyone wants to do that. Leave it at personal choice. The post is wellmeaning and has good information.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I shared this with my friends list, but decided it was worth sharing with all!

Going to give you a few hints out of the dreamy rule-book to stay on target while surrounded by delish holiday food:

1. Take no more than two bites worth of those creamy or fat-laden dishes our families love to make. You get to taste the food and not feel deprived, your family is not offended about you being "too good" to eat it, and you won't kill your macros.

8. Don't deprive yourself, but make healthy choices. If there is a veggie tray next to the egg tray, take one egg and fill up on veggies.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!!

Don't deprive yourself but only eat two bites worth of creamy or fat-ladden dishes? You do realize those two contradict each other right? By only eating two bites, you are depriving yourself of something you may really want.. so why not eat a normal portion and not eat something that you are not so crazy about? That makes more sense.

I'm going out to restaurant with my parents and plan on enjoying every bite. I'm sorry but Creme Brule from Flemming's Restaurant deserves more than two bites.. and I plan to give it those two bites and more.

(I realize I prob. will get flamed for my comments.. and I'm ok with that... so flame away :) )

What is the point of this? If you didn't want the advice given in this thread, you can (OH HORROR OF HORRORS) ignore it and move on. Clearly this post was meant for folks who don't want today to be a cheat day not you.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Thank you again for those who saw this post at face value. I hope everyone had a great Easter with lots of fun family time!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I shared this with my friends list, but decided it was worth sharing with all!

Going to give you a few hints out of the dreamy rule-book to stay on target while surrounded by delish holiday food:

1. Take no more than two bites worth of those creamy or fat-laden dishes our families love to make. You get to taste the food and not feel deprived, your family is not offended about you being "too good" to eat it, and you won't kill your macros.

8. Don't deprive yourself, but make healthy choices. If there is a veggie tray next to the egg tray, take one egg and fill up on veggies.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone!!

Don't deprive yourself but only eat two bites worth of creamy or fat-ladden dishes? You do realize those two contradict each other right? By only eating two bites, you are depriving yourself of something you may really want.. so why not eat a normal portion and not eat something that you are not so crazy about? That makes more sense.

I'm going out to restaurant with my parents and plan on enjoying every bite. I'm sorry but Creme Brule from Flemming's Restaurant deserves more than two bites.. and I plan to give it those two bites and more.

(I realize I prob. will get flamed for my comments.. and I'm ok with that... so flame away :) )

What is the point of this? If you didn't want the advice given in this thread, you can (OH HORROR OF HORRORS) ignore it and move on. Clearly this post was meant for folks who don't want today to be a cheat day not you.

And you could have (OH HORROR OF HORRORS) chose to ignore my post and and just support OP.

This is a lifestyle change.. and clearly Easter comes around once a year.. so you should learn to deal with it in a healthy way.

Personally i like my twist on her tips better, but if you want to be eating two bites of all food for the rest of your life, then by all means have at it..
  • InkedInnocence
    InkedInnocence Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I really wish negative people would keep their opinions to themselves... this is a supportive site for people who want to be.. or want to get... healthy. I like this post so I'm commenting... if I didn't, I would just politely pass it up & find something that I could relate to. Any who... kudos on the helpful info. We made all healthy foods this year so there was no temptation & everything was amazing!! I'm full & relaxing before bed. Hope everyone had as good of an Easter as I did. :-)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    And you could have (OH HORROR OF HORRORS) chose to ignore my post and and just support OP.

Still doesn't negate the face that you failed to do exactly that with the OP's post. Your original post was unecessary and unhelpful. People on here are not stupid nor are we children. Some of us don't want to pig out every holiday, and that is perfectly fine. So next time, if you want to go pig out on the holidays, that's fine and great. Not all of us do. Calling out this very helpful post is unnecessary.
    This is a lifestyle change.. and clearly Easter comes around once a year.. so you should learn to deal with it in a healthy way.

This is EXACTLY what the original post was about. Did you read it or just jump right into "eat whatever you want, it's a holiday" mentality? Again, this post was not for people who made the decision you did to eat what you want today so why jump in and make attack the OP for posting something helpful for the rest of us?
    Personally i like my twist on her tips better, but if you want to be eating two bites of all food for the rest of your life, then by all means have at it..

LOL Oh please! OP never suggested eating two bites of your food at every meal, obviously.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Still doesn't negate the face that you failed to do exactly that with the OP's post. Your original post was unecessary and unhelpful. People on here are not stupid nor are we children. Some of us don't want to pig out every holiday, and that is perfectly fine. So next time, if you want to go pig out on the holidays, that's fine and great. Not all of us do. Calling out this very helpful post is unnecessary.

This is EXACTLY what the original post was about. Did you read it or just jump right into "eat whatever you want, it's a holiday" mentality? Again, this post was not for people who made the decision you did to eat what you want today so why jump in and make attack the OP for posting something helpful for the rest of us?

LOL Oh please! OP never suggested eating two bites of your food at every meal, obviously.
    I have so much to say but I'm not going to because it's clear it's just going to fall on deaf ears.

Enjoy the rest of your Easter Sunday.