Cardio Help

Options
Hi. I am hoping someone out there can offer advice - or at least some understanding of why I struggle here. I am large. 280 lbs at the moment. I have worked up to the elliptical machine and average a 15-16 mile with some days making 13 minute miles for an hour or so. I tried the treadmill today and had flashbacks of why I always hated running. I can walk at 4.0 mph and get a bit winded, but do okay. I decided to push myself to 5.0 mph (a gentle run) for 1 minute and (6 hours later) I am still struggling off and on to catch my breath. It is like my neck and throat tighten and then close. I recovered enough to finish my workout without stopping (went to 3.5 mph for a while, then after 20 minutes went ahead and moved to the elliptical for an hour). The weird "tickle" and cough that were left over in the back of my throat is what has lingered.

I remember this "closing up" reaction from clear back in elementary school. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? Why does it not happen on the elliptical - or in Zumba? Is there that much more "weight impact" on the treadmill? Is there anything I can do to try to get past this? I hate the feeling - and the fact that it lingers so long after I have "recovered". Yet, I feel kind of whimpy - especially after reading so many posts about how anyone can run.

(I do plan to talk to my doc next time I go, but I didn't figure this required an extra call!)

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Don't go for one minute at first. Start with really short intervals....15 seconds with a 45 second slower period and work your way up.

I'm not sure about the trouble breathing thing. I'd call and talk to a nurse about it and possibly make an appointment.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get mild exercise-induced asthma (or that's what I've been told it was). It only occurs when I am pushing cardio right to my absolute limits. Feels like I can't breathe, chest is tight, etc. It's not a problem when I am in good running shape.

Just take it slow and keep working on the running. As mentioned before, do shorter intervals and slowly increase your endurance. These symptoms will hopefully start disappearing, but if they don't, consult with a doctor.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It could be a few things. I get something similar, when I'm pushing my progress in cardio work, so at the point where I'm doing more than I've done before.

It could be mild exercise induced asthma, like others of said. For me I used to think it was panic/anxiety caused by fear of failure due to hang ups around exercise. That whole "I cant do this" thought.

Now I'm fairly sure it's mild exercise induced asthma, because I think I've managed to fight the psychological demons more now.
  • likli71
    likli71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is possibly an asthma reaction. Jogging is much more cardio than the elliptical. You can get a great workout on the elliptical without the impact on your joints that jogging will cause. You had mentioned your weight was up. I wouldn't push yourself to run before you have dropped some pounds from the elliptical and other exercises. I recently injured myself jogging because I wasn't conditioned appropriately and had me resting my cardio for over a month. That is so frustrating when trying to lose weight!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It could be a few things. I get something similar, when I'm pushing my progress in cardio work, so at the point where I'm doing more than I've done before.

It could be mild exercise induced asthma, like others of said. For me I used to think it was panic/anxiety caused by fear of failure due to hang ups around exercise. That whole "I cant do this" thought.

Now I'm fairly sure it's mild exercise induced asthma, because I think I've managed to fight the psychological demons more now.

As an addition to your comment, I would point out to others that exercise-induced asthma is not always the same as the asthma that many people suffer from. It can occur in people who have absolutely no history of asthma or no medical condition. The anxiety of either past experience or the sudden increase in exertion can also be a factor--as you mentioned.

Running has many benefits but it is not some miracle exercise that people should feel compelled to do at any cost.

For weight loss, incline walking can be very effective--it can improve fitness as well.

I recently suffered a lung infection that meant zero exercise for two weeks. To build myself back up and to just burn some calories after sitting around doing nothing but eating for that time, I started off with some incline walking workouts. I was able to go 60 minutes of a random hill profile -- which I could have never done running--and actually burned about 750 calories in an hour. By the third workout, I was up to over 900 calories in an hour --averaging about 3.7 mph and 9.5% incline (no handrail support). As I started getting my conditioning back, I tried pushing the effort, starting running again, or going hard on the stairclimber. The result: struggling to complete 25-30 minutes and only burning 400-500 calories total.

You can always pick up the effort after conditioning increases and weight decreases, but you can also achieve a lot of success with a "slow and steady" approach as well. It just takes a little more workout time.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like i was not getting enough air when running, to the point when i pushed myself, i'd end up with a sore throat and cough for a week.
    i started with c25k, and am still doing run/walk intervals, working up to 10k now. but even in the first two weeks, i learned to pace my breathing with my steps and have no problems now.
    try inhaling through your nose for a certain number of steps, then out through your mouth for the same number. 2 works for me, others swear by 3 or 4...
  • mariajae
    mariajae Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks. I was diagnosed asthmatic when I was 9, but as an adult my peak flows are so high they were doubtful of the original dx. Maybe it is exercise induced the way you described. Thanks.
  • mariajae
    mariajae Posts: 18
    Options
    Ha! I just realized that the replies all go to the end of the chain, not right after the comment made. :-) To those who suggested breathing through my nose. I know I am supposed to, but it doesn't work well. Could be the deviated septum, or the fact that I am allergic to everything they've ever tested me for. :-P Whatever the reason, if I keep hydrating, I actually get more air and have less trouble with my mouth slightly open. (Even though I probably look like a dufus!)

I really appreciate all the feedback. I just felt like a wimp that I couldn't do the 1 minute. Goodness, that is designed to go from the COUCH! I have been working out regularly 4-5 times a week for well over a month. Guess in the eyes of c25k I am still a couch potato. I will keep working on the elliptical (I played around today with increasing tension and incline) and chat with my doc when I see her next month if I am still having trouble on the treadmill.

Thanks again. It is nice to have a network of sorts out there for this kind of thing. :-)
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    My mom always told me I have a smaller than normal trachea (she said half sized but I don't really know) and I know running for me is HELL. I can barely do it at all. Maybe a light jog for short times. Yet I can do 4mph on the elliptical like it's nadda. I just have given up on running. I have bad knees anyways. But I do understand how you feel. I remember one time in HS I don't remember why but I was trying to prove something to someone and I ran in gym class to beat these girls behind me and I ended up feeling like I had 100 daggers stabbed in my chest.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and what happens to you is similar to what happened to me.

Maybe a visit to the doctor would ease your mind. I use my inhaler 1/2 before I start any exercise and I dont have any problem now.

edited to fix spelling