Exercising Question...

Options
Do you haveo eat your exercise calories?
I have a neice that exercises alot and burns like over 500 to 600 calories a day and is not losing much weight. Can anyone suggest what she is doing wrong?

Replies

• Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Would need a clearer picture of her...her age, height, what she eats.....
  • nevaeh1984
    Options
    My personal experience:

Ever since I started exercising my weight loss SLOWED DOWN. I think in terms of "weight", what you eat is the main factor.

Having said that, I LOVE to exercise, and my strength has increased significantly. The tone of the body is much better, I can move faster and with ease and I would hate to stop exercising even if that meant losing weight faster. The people at the gym I go to are nice, even if I am pretty much the only overweight person there. They are all impressed with my motivation and results. I love the group classes (I rarely use the machines).

With your niece... Is this "exercise routine" new or has she always been athletic? What kind of exercise is she doing? How old is she? Height/Weight? How do you know how much she is burning? More importantly: what and how is she eating?
  • kluvfreddy
    kluvfreddy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    She is 26, 5'7 and eats fairly healthy. eg. breakfast and lunch lean cuisine, fruit and dinner subway or grilled chicken broccoli and red peppes etc,
  • kluvfreddy
    Options
    My neice does Elliptcal Trainer, zumba, spinning, cardio, aerobics, step avg 1 to 2 hours a day in am and pm. She mainly wants to tone but would like to loose a little weight too...who does'nt....lol......Thanks for the help!!
  • methodless
    Options
    I am the same age, slightly shorter and also similar type of diet with the same time commitment in the gym, sometimes more

27 months, no change in any way
    6 weeks ago, I made a few changes in my diet, and the weight started melting off

The main thing I did was increase my protein intake and decreased carbs drastically.

I used to burn 600 calories a day on the elliptical 5 days a week, and once or twice a month, would go over 1000.

Best of luck.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Do you haveo eat your exercise calories?
    I have a neice that exercises alot and burns like over 500 to 600 calories a day and is not losing much weight. Can anyone suggest what she is doing wrong?

yes - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Have a good read of the stickied threads at the top of the page, they are very useful.
  • kluvfreddy
    Options
    Thank you so much Raven. Just what I was looking for.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    because exercise doesn't determine weight loss, diet does.

one can still eat healthy but still eat more calories than what they need.
  • bitesize786
    Options
    hey, since shes doing cardio it also does strengh without realizing it,

i have the same problem right now. but what it most likly is.. is that muscle weighs more than fat, so she may very well be losing fat but may stay the same as she may be getting toned and increasing muscle mass.

i hoped i helped.