Diagnosed with high cholesterol...What to eat?

Options
Looking for anyone who has suggestions on recipes for weight loss that take into account having high cholesterol. My doc says I need to change my diet. I can't eat seafood of any kind, so fish is not an option. Help?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol, my doctor told me not to eat any fats that are solid at room temperature.
    He included cheese in that list.

---edit:Add

Dietary intake of cholesterol doesn't necessarily correlate to high blood serum cholesterol.

^ good fats (omega 3s, plant sourced fats (nuts, avocados)
    v bad fats
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    niacin(nicotinic acid) reduces cholesterol and so does red yeast rice.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Looking for anyone who has suggestions on recipes for weight loss that take into account having high cholesterol. My doc says I need to change my diet. I can't eat seafood of any kind, so fish is not an option. Help?

Any product that comes from or is made from an animal contains cholesterol. Try to eat as many veggies, whole grains and fruits as you can. And enjoy animal products in moderation.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol, my doctor told me not to eat any fats that are solid at room temperature.
    He included cheese in that list.

this.

also, cholesterol is only found in animal products so if you can stand it I would up your fruit, veggie, and nut intake as well as a lean meats and decrease or completely eliminate red meats, fried foods, and high fat foods in general.
  • mignon83
    mignon83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try oatmeal for breakfast.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is meant to be good for reducing cholesteral. Also walking is said to help lower cholesterol. Good luck.
  • themoodymoose
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I also had high cholesterol but my last blood test earlier this year came back at lower that average levels. I found just losing weight by eating healthy and exercising did the trick.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol as well - the familial kind. It's not the cholesterol in food that you eat that's the problem, it's the cholesterol your body produces for itself from the fats you eat, so you need to eat low fat. Soluble fibre as is found in oats is supposed to help mop up some of the cholesterol. I keep an eye on saturated fats, but don't obsess about them.

What to eat? The usual good mixed diet - veg, fruit, some carbs especially oats, lean protein (= white meats, beans & peas, low fat dairy). Avoid spreads like butter & margarine, cream, cheese, don't overdose on red meats.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had this and managed to successfully lower my cholesterol. Few things I did that worked for me.

1. No fried foods. You could do in moderation but once you successfully lower that cholesterol.
    2. Veggies veggies veggies (and fruit too)
    3. Lean meats only
    4. Make all your own food, baked chicken, BBQ chicken, ground turkey lean ground beef. Everything lean and or grain fed etc.
    5. Egg whites, they are ur friends (egg yokes are not bc of the cholesterol)
    6. Coconut oil and olive oil, you can look up how to ingest these.
    7. Cardio. Improving your cardiovascular health improves your heart and lowers your cholesterol. (weight train too, feed the muscles, burn the fat etc etc).
    8. Whole grains for variety, spelt pasta (better than whole wheat), hemp, quinoa etc.
    9. Try to stay away from hydrogenation, sweets like donuts etc, if you are going to eat sweets stick to fruits. Basically try to avoid anything that has no nutrients (including alcohol).

It is possible to do you just need to be strict and really focus. Diet and exercise are equally important. You don't HAVE to eat like this forever but training yourself proper eating habits is what works!
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Atkin's diet with daily doses of Coconut oil, Cayenne pepper, Garlic, Aloe Juice, fish oil, one glass of red wine, Macha Green Tea, and Hemp Seeds will work. It worked for me fastest.
  • beattie1
    Options
    The Atkins diet may work for weight loss, but it's definitely not recommended for anyone who's worried about their cholesterol.
  • Anisima
    Anisima Posts: 16
    Options
    My cousin with similar problems told me that he found on http://cholesterol-lower.info/ the help for his problems.I heard the tips from here are very goo to combat cholesterol problems.
    I hope this helps.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The Atkins diet may work for weight loss, but it's definitely not recommended for anyone who's worried about their cholesterol.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options

you can't eat fish? Most fish has less fat than lean red meat. the higher-fat fish like salmon is the one with the greatest heart benefits -- they are high in a substance called omega-3 fatty acids, which protects against heart disease.

i have the high cholesterol, family type, but I was advised just the opposite: to eat fish at least once a week.

bump?
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A few things I have done that have helped me:

* I eat cheerios every day. If I run out (like I did this morning, gah!!) I eat something like bran flakes.
    * Eat more fruits and veggies.
    * Drink water like it's going out of style!
    * Exercise at least 30 min every day. Even a walk will help you.
    * I cut out eggs pretty much completely. I know it's "extreme" but that's what I did/do.
    * I now buy whole wheat/whole grain/multigrain whenever possible.

Good luck!!!!
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term

Thank you. Most wont do any kind of research. It worked for me and there are many studies that proves that it does. I wouldn't recommend them drink bacon grease everyday. I bet they think Leasing is still bad too.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    OP, I messaged you some information I was given when I was diagnosed with borderline high LDL and overall cholesterol and low HDL.
  • beattie1
    Options

you can't eat fish? Most fish has less fat than lean red meat. the higher-fat fish like salmon is the one with the greatest heart benefits -- they are high in a substance called omega-3 fatty acids, which protects against heart disease.

i have the high cholesterol, family type, but I was advised just the opposite: to eat fish at least once a week.

bump?

"I can't eat seafood of any kind, so fish is not an option. "

I assumed the OP was allergic as fish is good for a cholesterol-lowering diet - even oily fish as they have "good-for-you" type fats.