Has anyone just surrendered a day to a binge?

Options
Long story short: I'm having a very drama-filled, emotionally-terrible week. I've been resisting the sad-binges, the angry-binges, the I-will-eat-anything-so-I-will-stop-thinking binges, but I'm rather at that point where I throw my hands up in the air and just do it.

I've eaten well for the first two meals of the day, but I cleared the rest of my plan for the day. I'd only be going over my calories by about 100. It's not a massive binge, it's just some soul food.

Anybody just...let go to the feel-good food once in a while? :ohwell: I'm trying not to feel like a failure.

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    *Hugs*

I am in the midst of an upsetting situation myself, and have just ordered pizza. However, I have made sure to stay under my cals (well, it will be once I do my workout).

Don't beat yourself up over any binges, sweetie, but try to keep track. Eat **** all you like, but try to still stay under/just a little bit over if you can, or exercise it off.

Good luck x
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    NOPE! Never.
    But 100 over OR under isn't a big deal.
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, I did that yesterday. I devoured an oozing, chocolate, peanut butter filled cake :-/ I think everyone needs a cheat, make yourself feel better day!! One day isn't going to hurt, and you can just make up for it tomorrow with an extra hard workout!!!
    You are definitely not a failure...Treat yourself! Especially since you will only be going over a small amount of calories...
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that I would not succeed on any kind of diet plan without a cheat meal. I've read it also helps reset the metabolism so to speak. I'm all about it!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Control your CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE, and you won't WANT to binge.

Try reading "Life without bread". You'll be glad you did !!!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    :drinker: My hands are up...Guilty as charged...

Been a total pig today...and totally enjoyed it..
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

awesome advice!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    It's my life and I'm here to enjoy it. If I occasionally binge, bit whoop.
    If it happens more often than not, then there'd be an issue.

Obviously you've thought about the reasons why you are binging, maybe finding an alternate outlet would suit you better. It can be a vicious cycle, binge due to emotions, then get upset because of the binge, then binge because of binging.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

awesome advice!

yeah binges suck if you cant eat food you like...
  • lookinglasslass
    lookinglasslass Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did yesterday.
    I have been realy unwell with a chest infection after a nasty cold so was pretty much feeling sorry for myself :sick:
    The kitchen was a complete tip as I had not done any housework for close to a week, so I surrendered to my boyfriends request for takeout and we ordered far too much pizza for two people to possibly eat!
    Then to make it worse we cracked open the wine with the excuse of "it's Easter"!
    So yes, yesterday was my day of binge! Fun while it lasted, until the guilt sank in :embarassed:
    But I am not going to let it make me a failure or let it set me back.
    Today I have been really good, cleaned up the houes, made a really big yummy salad for tea and even managed an hour in the gym.
    Feeling much more back on track.
    We are all human, the main thing is not to give up, its a lifestyle change after all, not a fad diet!:flowerforyou:
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes, and the WORST thing you can do is let it derail you.

Everybody has days like those, Wednesday is my birthday, Thai food is my weakness, you do the math. The trick is to get up Thursday morning, and continue the diet, you might set yourself back a day, or a week, or hell two, but nobody is on a two week plan. This is a long term change and dealing with long term changes is the goal.

To quote Cheap Trick

"Surrender, Surrender, but don't give yourself away."
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    100 cals over is not a binge.

I have had a full on binge about 5 or 6 times since last summer when I joined MFP, and this includes Christmas and Boxing day. I don't log it, and I just get on with it the day after.

I am not advocating doing this, its not ideal behaviour, but I am only human.
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Provided you don't find yourself finding excuses too often, there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting loose - we're humans, not machines, and I hold emotional health very highly. You're not going to get fat in one sitting - even if you exceed your cals by say 500(!!!!!!!) for they day, big whoop.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes, but most of the time I try to connect with my emotion first and avoid the kitchen (and I'm usually pretty successful), but there have been some days where I was emotionally stressed and just said SCREW IT and went for the candy and/or cake sitting in my kitchen or whatever because I knew IN THAT MOMENT, I would feel a hell of a lot better about my situation.

and along with what other posters have said--if you surrender to it, just make sure you get back on track the next day. What actually helps for me is starting the next day with a workout--for some reason when I exercise I eat a LOT better (just crave the healthier foods) than on days I don't workout.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I agree, at least it works for me. But, that is just me. :drinker:
  • aheartbeatsos
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself :)
    If you end up eating over your calories you just accept that you wanted to/needed to and you'll be back on track in no time :)
    I gave up 3 days once and while I had to kick myself to get back in gear I regretted nothing.
    It's taking a break, not giving up - remember that :)
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    As a short answer.... see my post
    "It's only 10 in the morning and the day is a loss...."
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options
    It's 3:30pm here.....I haven't even eaten yet. I'm kinda afraid to because I'm not sure how the rest of the day will turn out.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    100 calories over is NOT a binge.
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    Hmmm... i can't honestly say i do? however, i suppose it depends on how someone defines what it is, it varies per person i would imagine. I just have my days where i feel like i'm not gonna get anywhere no matter how much work i do. Some times i give in and have garbage fast food, other days i'll still eat healthy and still feel like poop :/

Still though! don't give up on yourself! days will always get tougher than the next, just keep your head up high. acknowledge your accomplishments and give yourself positive affirmations, and speak them to yourself outloud! it may seem a bit cheesy, but you would be pleasantly surprised how well the little things work.