Kettle Bells

Options
MFP Family:

Hi, I'm Kate. I love to run, hop on the elliptical, or spend some time on the row machine -- but I need to tone the rest of my body. Push-ups and normal sit-up routines are not working and I was thinking of adding Kettle Bell routines into my workouts. I found this Kettle Works one where it says 20 minutes 3 times a week, but I'm worried that it will not be enough. I would love to go to a gym and do some type of cardio/toning workout there - but I do not have the time. What do you think?

Thanks so much!
Kate

Replies

• oharabears
    Options
    I'm just getting into kettlebells myself, and already seeing results I've never had before! Josh Hillis has an awesome bodyweight/kettlebell program called "System Six" that I'm having a blast with--very short workouts, 3 times a week, no gym membership required! I'd also highly recommend Tracy Reifkind's new book, "The Swing". She lost over 100 lbs. by just doing swings, and she looks awesome! There are lots of videos online showing proper form...very important! (Don't look to Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper for proper form! Ack!) Tracy Reifkind, Lauren Brooks, Sara Lurie...all good. Anyone with an "RKC" certification knows what they're doing. Best of luck! : )
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hijack your post a bit because I'm curious about kettebells as well. I seriously need to improve my upper body toning and strength. I want to buy a kettlebell, but I don't know if I should get the 10lb. one or the 15lb - I worry that the 10lb one won't be useful for long, but then on the other hand, maybe the 15lb one might be too ambitious to start with? Also, are there any good free kettlebell videos on YouTube that are worthwhile/safe? I don't want to follow random ones because I've heard that you can injure yourself if you don't do it correctly.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I started using the Kettleworx system on Feb 2nd. I'm amazed at the results so far (and the word "amazed" isn't a word that I use often or lightly!). My legs are toned and solid, my arms (yeah, even that trouble zone...batwings or bingo wings!) are toning up nicely, shoulders and back losing fat and toning, and my core is SO strong and solid (under the fat that I have!). I do a 20-minute workout, 3 or 4 times a week, making sure to have a rest day between kettlebell workouts. I started with a 5-lb bell, recently moving up to 10 lbs. Would have bumped the weight up sooner, but in late Feb, I had unexpected surgery, so that set me back a little bit. I find the Kettleworx system fun to do. I sweat, my heartrate really gets up there, and it seems to be over before you know it. If there was anything I could change about the system, it would be to have the DVDs allow you to program your workout, such as the Biggest Loser DVDs do. I don't like having to stop the DVD and then enter another workout. But that's on the DVDs that have 10-minute workouts. On those, I wish you could just program 2 or 3 of the workouts to just flow from one to the next. Whether you decide to go with Kettleworx or another trainer/program, I hope you enjoy it and see the kind of results that I'm seeing!!! Wishing you the best!
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    I would suggest you to watch some good kettle bell workouts on youtube. There are some good ones out there, but also, you should change up the types of push-ups. I know for me i do 4-5 different types of push-ups, then also add Hindu push-ups. Hindu push-ups will definitely work your arms, shoulders, and back.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    MFP Family:

Hi, I'm Kate. I love to run, hop on the elliptical, or spend some time on the row machine -- but I need to tone the rest of my body. Push-ups and normal sit-up routines are not working and I was thinking of adding Kettle Bell routines into my workouts. I found this Kettle Works one where it says 20 minutes 3 times a week, but I'm worried that it will not be enough. I would love to go to a gym and do some type of cardio/toning workout there - but I do not have the time. What do you think?

Thanks so much!
    Kate

I just watched the infomercial on this yesterday-looked interesting. I currently do online circuit training with Jillian Michaels and it worked great but I am looking for something to just change things up a bit.
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MelsFitLife
    MelsFitLife Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love Kettle Worx! :smile:
  • Biggusburdus
    Biggusburdus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bought my kettle bell from amazon, it's only a 4kg one and it came with a DVD. Michelle korr I think her name is, it says she trained ballet dancers.
    DVD is good, has basic right up to advanced and I am enjoying them. I also think you can get the Bigger 8kg with it also..
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    i go to kettlecise classes at gym they only last 37mins love it though i started using a 6kg but for swings squats etc use a 16kg now.
  • KateJo84
    KateJo84 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think I will purchase a set.

As for my typical workout I did over 150 pushups in diamond, wide, narrow, and the ones in P90X, and various types of sit-ups -- time for a change up for my muscles (or lack of).