Over eating to under eating...ugh

Options
So I am getting my health and fitness back on track except when the night time hits, like around 9 I feel like I am starving every night . I have no idea why my body does this. I barely stay under my calorie limit too. Does metabolism do something different around that time??? Also it makes me depressed and I won't eat until 11am the next day.

Replies

• Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That's a really long time with out food, (14 hours) have a healthy snack some nuts or Hummus and celery before you got to bed, you are running on empty for a long time, have something light at 7am.

Your body is trying to tell you something if it's growling at you it means something!

Good luck
    Alli
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What's your height/weight/goal/cal goal?
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    What are you eating? Are you eating things that aren't satiating? Are you drinking enough water? Maybe try saving calories for around 9pm?
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You could try saving a few cals for a mid evening snack. I usually go nuts if I can't have one. Or maybe eat dinner a little later?
  • greyrealm
    greyrealm Posts: 12
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories a day and I try to eat every hour or two from 7am until 8pm. I usually reserve 150 calories for a shake made with skim milk, unsweetened cocoa, unsweetened coconut, and almonds, that I drink before bed to keep from starving. I also found that when I eat caolrie and carb heavy in the mornings and drink a lot of water, I don't get hungry int he evenings. I did have to change my dinner time from 6pm to 7:30pm though. Good luck!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. I have always been a night time eater. I am one to forgo breakfast, because I am not hungry any way until like you said- about 11 am ish. All of us have metabolisms that run differently so I really don't think there is anything wrong per-say with the way you get hungry. I don't know your calorie goal for the day, mine is 1200 plus my exercise calories. I also don't think it matters when you eat your calories. My schedule for eating is kind of lke this, I have coffee in the am for my "breakfast", then I eat about 300 for lunch, then 500-600 for dinner, that leaves me 300+ for snacking at night when the hunger bug seems to hit me. I eat what I may have had for breakfst then, like yogurt and granola, bananas and cereal, protein bar or shake with fruit, sometimes a skinny cow ice cream or popcorn and some hot tea. It's what works for me based on my hunger schedule. I think you just need to find what works for you and eat when your hungry rather than trying to force a set schedule because it's "what you should be doing". This has worked great for me so far. I don't think it's held back my weight loss at all so far. Good luck!
  • melissafranks90
    Options
    My height is 5'2 and my weight goal is 120. I will shoot for below if possible but I am puetro rican so my curves seem like they are fighting with me to come off!! Right now I weight 166 pounds so i am pretty over weight.
  • melissafranks90
    Options
    What are some healthy nuts to eat? I saw a big selection at the grocery store but I didnt know which ones are healthy. Because when I eat them I eat alot so I want to make sure they are atleast healthy for me.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    What are some healthy nuts to eat? I saw a big selection at the grocery store but I didnt know which ones are healthy. Because when I eat them I eat alot so I want to make sure they are atleast healthy for me.
    I've heard that almonds are the best although I think it depends on your own personal preference. Pistachios and almonds are really good, imo.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. I have always been a night time eater. I am one to forgo breakfast, because I am not hungry any way until like you said- about 11 am ish. All of us have metabolisms that run differently so I really don't think there is anything wrong per-say with the way you get hungry. I don't know your calorie goal for the day, mine is 1200 plus my exercise calories. I also don't think it matters when you eat your calories. My schedule for eating is kind of lke this, I have coffee in the am for my "breakfast", then I eat about 300 for lunch, then 500-600 for dinner, that leaves me 300+ for snacking at night when the hunger bug seems to hit me. I eat what I may have had for breakfst then, like yogurt and granola, bananas and cereal, protein bar or shake with fruit, sometimes a skinny cow ice cream or popcorn and some hot tea. It's what works for me based on my hunger schedule. I think you just need to find what works for you and eat when your hungry rather than trying to force a set schedule because it's "what you should be doing". This has worked great for me so far. I don't think it's held back my weight loss at all so far. Good luck!

This. Your body tells you when it is and isn't hungry so if you're starving in the evening your body wants you to eat. He's right about it doesn't matter when you eat but whether or not you hit your calorie and nutrient goals.

*further reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you're starving, you aren't eating enough.