Don't know what to do...

Options
Hi everyone! So I've changed my lifestyle since 2 weeks, trying to eat very healthy and making some exercices almost everyday for 40 minutes of high intensity. Last year I lost 20 pounds and maintain it until now with the Dukan Diet. Now I have my last 20 pounds to lose, but nothing moves on the scale, and I don't feel better in my clothes too. I'm trying to eat between 1250 to 1400 calories/day + my exercises calories back. I have a BMR of 1400 and a TDEE of about 1750. . I also think that maybe this diet had decreased my BMR and now I really don't know how many calories I should eat for reaching my ultimate goal of 130 pounds. What do you think I should do?

P.S: Sorry for all the mistakes in the text, I'm a french canadian!!!

Replies

• kevinwk
    kevinwk Posts: 77
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

I was given the above link to look at to go about recalculation what I should be eating and still lose weight. Found out I was totally messed up and not losing weight. Good luck to you and congrats on how well you've done so far!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi,

First, it's only been 2 weeks, so good for you for starting, but you sometimes need to give it time. It's hard to say what you should be doing based on the info you provided. I'm no expert by any means, but I can give you my opinion...
    1. How tall are you?
    2. What exercises do you do? (cardio, weights, frequency per week and duration for each)
    3. Are you logging your foods daily? (calories, cards, sodium, protein, fiber)
    4. How much water do you drink daily?
    5. How many meals a day do you have and which is the largest one? (ex: do you eat 3times a day? 6times a day? Biggest meal dinner or breakfast?

I have no clue what the Dukan Diet is, but I'll try to help any way I can. By the way, no worries for the spelling, as I'm French Canadian too :)
  • cammm87
    cammm87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First, thanks everyone for taking your time to help me!
    villene 79, I'm 5'4 and I'm doing mostly cardio (treadmill and Turbofire DVD) and I'm logging my food daily. I drink usually 6 glass of water per day and I eat 3 times a day but with 2 little snacks. My biggest meal is usually the dinner... When I eat 1200 cal/day, I'm starving, and from what I read on this forum I know now that it's not good to eat only this amount of cal. So I really want to eat at least 1400 cal/day which is my BMR...But I don't know if it's right! I guess I'm wondering about the scale because usually when people decide to make a lifestyle change it's during the first few weeks that they are losing the most of the weight!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    use the link provided above..

bmr is what you need if you were in a coma

you need to figure your tdee (explained in the link)

good luck hun
  • LillyMosley
    LillyMosley Posts: 166
    Options
    Things I found helpful to kick start things during a plateau, green tea, and lots of fresh broccoli, cauliflower or brusell sprouts, not overcooked. Also watch you are not overestimating how many calories are burned in your exercise, I found that MFP sometimes gives you too many back.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    give it some time to show up on the scale. i noticed with me for the first month or so of eating at a deficit my body was like "yeah right, i dunno what THIS is, but I'm holding on to the weight " :laugh:

after that it caught up.
  • chloe112679
    Options
    I really think your best bet is to eat in proportions and eat small snacks through out the day, and eat as natural as possible, even down to cutting out fake sugars like splenda, activia, all that. cutting out soda, coffee, and energy drinks. energy drinks are the worst. I'm sure youve heard all of this 50000 times but it's really just the way to lose weight, fad diets might make you lose weight, but what if you were to go off them, you"ll gain it back! Ive been trying to lose wight since i was about 7 or 8 (im 13 now), and this has been the way to do it with me. hope and hugs!
  • cammm87
    cammm87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! I have an HRM for tracking the calories burned from exercises and I have a food scale for the meat.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You should at least be eating 1400cal a day + whatever you burn in your workouts (depending on if you have a desk job or one where you move, you may want to add a good 100-200cal. So yep, no point in trying 1200cal, it's normal you feel like you're starving, you would be!

Based on what you posted, you are doing what you need to do, so give yourself credit!! Small changes you can make include:
    - Having your biggest meal earlier in the day
    - Making sure to keep your cardio workouts at high intensity, but for max 30min (anything more at high intensity will start burning muscle instead of fat (fact I learned through my trainer this year). You're better off doing cardio 6 times a week for 30min than 3 times for 1hour.
    - Incorporate some strength training to your workouts. No need to go bodybuilder crazy, but muscles burns fat even when you rest. Don't have a gym membership? Doing planks, sit-ups, push-ups, squats, etc to start is a good start!
    - Watch your sodium intake if you don't already. Since you log your foods, this should be easy and you want to make sure you are always at or bellow the recommended mg.

Keep it up, and give it time...we all react differently at different times in our lives. Just don't give up!