Healthy Choice/ Freezer meals?

Options
Hey ya'll, i was just wondering how everyone felt about the "healthy" freezer meals. I have been eating them as my lunch with some greek yogurt, but I still feel extremely guilty because they aren't clean. I ate clean for about 2 months, but my schedule got way too hectic and I don't have the time to prepare clean meals.

What are your favorite, and do you feel that they are still considered healthy?

Thanks! (:

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally at work with a salad, but they're very high in sodium so I tend to watch my sodium the rest of the day. Plus they don't really fill me up so I tend to just make lunch for the next day during dinner the night before. It's become part of my routine now.
  • CountryGir33
    Options
    I normally eat them for lunch, but often feel hungry in a few hours
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ive heard that fiber and potassium can help counter act some of the bad effects of high sodium, so I look for ones that list the potassium on the lable, and try adding a salad with lots of leafy greens and carrots to get some extra fiber in. I also make sure I drink plenty of water. Yes, they are high in sodium, but they are still better in a pinch than grabbing fast food! I like Smart Ones steam bag, and the Lean Cuisine veggie pizza.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I eat them occasionally at work with a salad, but they're very high in sodium so I tend to watch my sodium the rest of the day. Plus they don't really fill me up so I tend to just make lunch for the next day during dinner the night before. It's become part of my routine now.

+1

Used to eat them for convenience, but they had to go when i started watching sodium intake.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I do not seem to be as sensitive to sodium as many people are, now in saying that, I also do not eat these on a regular basis, but if my husband is out of town, heck yea I will eat several of them and not feel one ounce of guilt.

Some of my favorites are:

Morning Star Farms Sesame chicken
    Tortilla crusted fish buy lean cuisine
    The lean cuisine chicken, artichoke and spinach sandwich, mmm, so good.

I make sure to also supplement these meals with more fresh fruits and veggies. Batch cooking greens always helps. I will make a big pot on the weekend and pull out a cup of kale to add to my frozen dinner, or a sweet potato. This give me more substance and some really good nutrition too.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I was using those meals, but now I realize they are not all that healthy. I always try to cook a serving or 2 extra, and freeze, to use when I cannot cook.
  • KateJo84
    KateJo84 Posts: 25
    Options
    I hear ya! LIfe can get so busy -- I sometimes eat these meals and always have a few in the freezer just in case life takes over (normally about twice a week).

I like the steamer meals. Lately I have been eating just the veggie mixes that you can steam (very low sodium) and throw some 90 second brown rice under, and low sodium soy sauce.

Good luck!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I don't have them everyday, but as a college student, I resort to them for cost and time. :) I like the Lean Cuisine and Smart One steamers.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I've had them for lunches, and more recently we've had a Fresh & Easy store open near us. I love their pre-packaged meals, because they're as close as you can get to home-cooked nutritionally. But they're still higher in sodium than I want to eat. When my girls were young, I used to cook on the weekends and package my own "t.v. dinners" - I think I'm going to return to that way of doing things.

Good topic - thanks for posting! :flowerforyou:
  • emilybrokaw
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll start dedicating my Sunday to preparing and freezing my own meals for the week ahead.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll start dedicating my Sunday to preparing and freezing my own meals for the week ahead.

I do a great deal of batch cooking, do not forget that you can keep things like pasta, quinoa, sweet potatoes and greens in the frig for 3 to 5 days. You do not need to freeze them. You can also bake or grill chicken breasts up but I would only keep 3 days worth at a time in the frig as they can go bad quick. Ziplock makes plastic plates with lids on them, they are worth the investment.

But then again, in a pinch, one of those healthy "style" frozen dinners is still better than fast food any day of the week. :)

Take care and good luck.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They aren't evil (i'm currently eating Safeway's Eating Right Chicken Enchilada). And I don't have blood pressure issues, so I don't care about sodium. They just tend to be boring. I almost always have fresh cilantro or parsley on had to freshen them up. Put cilantro on the asian / mexican options and parsley (flat leaf) on everything else. It's pretty much calorie-free, and super tasty. I also have fresh chives in my garden (and freeze-dried in my pantry). They go with most meals too.

Dont' be afraid of freezer meals. Just don't live off them.
  • emilybrokaw
    Options
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I've been scanning pinterest for healthy freezer meals I can prepare ahead of time.. Jamie Eason also has some protein turkey muffins I found, that you can freeze and microwave when needed. They're basically like a meatloaf in a muffin.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine meals. Some are really tasty. Love the lasagna one especially when you are in the mood for some Italian food.
  • summerlove0617
    Options
    My favorite is the Lean Cuisine BBQ chicken pizza. Its is soooooo Good! But I try to eat it once a week only & not close to the day I weigh in(Wed)cuz of all the sodium. And when I do I drink tons of water afterwards!! I try to eat something fresh with it like some apples or grapes or sometimes a veggie like asparagus or a sweet potato that way I am fuller a longer.
  • navstone
    navstone Posts: 30
    Options
    I make large quantities of casseroles and such on the weekend and freeze them. You can usually do enough for several weeks at once. I only do the frozen ones once in a great while
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Marie Callendar's has several under 500 calories, and they taste better and seem more satisfying than the "diet' dinners.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat these for lunch on my work days pretty regularly (so three days a week) but I definitely supplement with fresh fruits and veggies. With my job as a nanny, finding time for lunch is challenging due to the kiddos, and I don't always have leftovers that I can take with me. I do try to keep an eye on my sodium intake a bit, but for right now at least, Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals are a necessity with my work and life schedule. I figure they're definitely better for my budget and my waistline than going out and grabbing lunch on my little break while the kids' mom is home for lunch.
  • BOATS52
    BOATS52 Posts: 46
    Options
    Marie Callenders are ya kidding never seen anything healthy in that line...... SODIUM is like Sky High !
  • frenchgrapes
    frenchgrapes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Back in the old days I really liked some of the frozen dinners marketed as healthy. I look at them occasionally now as they would be easier and offer more variety to my diet. However, they are generally too high in carbs and sodium for me. I control my blood sugar and blood pressure through diet and exercise so the sodium and carbs are really important.