Does Everyone Count Calories?

Options
I am wondering if anyone uses this site for only tracking their workouts? Or does everyone track calories as well?

Replies

• AkaJenna
    AkaJenna Posts: 5
    Options
    I track my calories as well as work outs. I've found out it is not as hard as I thought it would be :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In Soviet Russia, calories count you.
  • elyshaS
    elyshaS Posts: 21
    Options
    I have been counting my calories but honestly I hate it!! I like keeping track of my measurements, weight and workouts. I am just not a fan of the calorie counting.
  • Emnee
    Emnee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I track both my work outs (calories burned) and my food (calories consumed). It gives me a better idea of how much I have eaten/should eat. I'm currently trying to lose weight so it is beneficial to me to keep track of everything. (:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss stalls, you might want to count calories. Therein usually lies the problem.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you're not overweight (and maintaining), I guess you don't really have to count calories, If you are trying to lose weight, I would count them because you can REALLY error on the heavy side just guessing. In the long run, whatever works for you. :smile:
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I track my calories and my exercise, and yeah it can be a bit daunting and as my bff said "it takes the fun out of life!", but I really needed to do it. It's opened my eyes to all the terrible things I had been eating. I used to look at myself and be like "I have no clue how I gained so much" and on my first day I logged everything I ate in a normal day and I was just stunned. For me, I need to to help me make the lifestyle change. I want to be healthy and fit long after I lose my weight and this is a tool to help me do that. Personally, after I hit my goal, I'm going to keep logging everything. Probably not for the rest of my life, but until I can be assured that the changes I made will be permanent.
  • lisaellenpratt
    Options
    Yes
    My intention the first week or two is to not change what i'm currently eating. I think i'm eating healthier and in moderate portions. Tracking it on this site will allow me to see what I'm really doing.
    Then, I'll modify how much and what I eat.
    I hope I'm not too far off.
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I only really use this to count calories. I almost never do any actual cardio workouts, so my strength training exercises serve no purpose to track. I was quite surprised to find out that I consume 3000-4000 calories/day just to maintain my weight.
  • MrsCanuck
    MrsCanuck Posts: 16
    Options
    I track my calories and my exercise, and yeah it can be a bit daunting and as my bff said "it takes the fun out of life!", but I really needed to do it. It's opened my eyes to all the terrible things I had been eating. I used to look at myself and be like "I have no clue how I gained so much" and on my first day I logged everything I ate in a normal day and I was just stunned. For me, I need to to help me make the lifestyle change. I want to be healthy and fit long after I lose my weight and this is a tool to help me do that. Personally, after I hit my goal, I'm going to keep logging everything. Probably not for the rest of my life, but until I can be assured that the changes I made will be permanent.

Me too. Well said.
  • elyshaS
    elyshaS Posts: 21
    Options
    I am not over weight and not trying to lose weight. I am trying to tone my body, therefore I am counting calories out but I eat healthy and do not eat huge portions. I am looking to maintain my weight, unless working out changes that. I just want to keep track of what my measurements are and my workouts.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I use this site for calories in /out.
    I use fitocracy to track my workouts.
    Their system is much easier to use.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I count both calories and exercise here and also use endomondo.com for tracking exercise.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I use another site to track my food intake because I think it has some better tools. But I like the message boards, advice, and support that I get here.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    Tracking workouts and calories. And weight I guess too! I've never attempted to count any of this crap ever, and I find that this site works well. I use the mobile app as well as computer to do whatever I gotta do.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started out gung-ho counting calories only. Then I went to counting calories and tracking workout calories. Then I went to tracking calories and workout calories minus default calories burned, etc. Then, it all just got too tedious and time consuming. It was taking me almost two hours a day to add in my food, etc. I burned out big time. I found that it got so tiring and tedious to track every little thing I ate. Like a teaspoon of this or 2/3 cup of that. Plus, I do not eat the same things everyday so I can't just plug and play with my numbers. I eat different foods everyday, and that means looking up all of those different foods and double checking calorie content, etc. My family was starting to go super crazy because I wouldn't let them throw away food containers, wrappers, etc. because I needed the nutritional info from them.

It's been almost six months since I really tracked my calories and honestly, it shows, especially on the scale. I have gained back 15 lbs that I worked so hard to lose. I'm going to try to get back into it this week. Even if I don't track every little bite, I will still have a baseline of my calorie intake.
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In Soviet Russia, calories count you.

Hahahha, thank you for this reply! Made my night! :)
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I started out gung-ho counting calories only. Then I went to counting calories and tracking workout calories. Then I went to tracking calories and workout calories minus default calories burned, etc. Then, it all just got too tedious and time consuming. It was taking me almost two hours a day to add in my food, etc. I burned out big time. I found that it got so tiring and tedious to track every little thing I ate. Like a teaspoon of this or 2/3 cup of that. Plus, I do not eat the same things everyday so I can't just plug and play with my numbers.

this ^

at the end of last year I was micromanaging the calories (was that carrot 110grams of just 95?...45 mins of exercise or 42.5?) It was just too much effort! I took a break of 2 months hovering about the same weight before I decided to start again. Now I use whats already listed. I use roughly the same proportions every time for the usual things ('about enough' in a stew is 100gms per vege, in soup its 200). I am not going to quibble about 50 cals here or there, and I must say, I am FAR better for it. YMMV.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I count the calories. Sometimes it's a pain, but it really does help keep things on the right track, especially since I eat back my exercise calories.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i track calories and exercising