Prednisone - Weight Gain?

Options
So I went to the allergist yesterday and he said I am having a severe allergy attack. I live in lower Alabama and the pollen level here is off the charts - he prescribed me prednisone for 6 days. I have heard that this will make you gain weight but if I am only taking it for 6 days will it still make me gain weight?

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    You have to take it for a long period of time. A past co-worker has been on it off and on for years at a time and it caused weight gain. Long term use can cause weight gain.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't...not for just 6 days. I often have to go on it for a week at a time and I don't have a problem with it.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I took it for 5 days last fall for asthma/bad cough and if IIRC the scale did go up 5lbs but it went away again after I stopped the pred. It ticked me off but it must have just been water weight b/c it went away fairly quickly and I was not eating anywhere near enough to actually gain that amount.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    My ex-husband whom I have been caring for for the past 7 years is very sick and has been taking prednisone for about the same amount of time. I have also taken a very aggressive dose for 6 months many years ago. If you are taking it for 6 days, I wouldn't worry about gaining weight. Normally, prednisone gives the user a "moon-face" and a big tummy. My ex has both even though he is now very skinny due to illness. Don't sweat it, you will be fine.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Not weight per se, you'll just retain fluids and feel bloated and fat. I've taken it before, the fluid comes off in a few days after taking it.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When I'm on it for very short periods less than 10 days I am okay. But when I had to stay on it for over a month for an RA flare I blew up like a Macy's day parade balloon. And it took me over a year to lose 20lbs. You should be fine. I'm presently on 60mgs today and past two days then go to 40mgs for 3 days and 20mgs for final 3 days for a severe asthma episode due to the flu. How many mg per day did they put you on?
  • baileylm
    baileylm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It may increase your appetite so have healthy snacks at the ready. Be prepared for insomnia as well, which can also increase appetite because you'll feel tired. But for 6 days, I agree with the others -- no worries.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Having dispensed it for many years to patients, I can say that prednisone can often times cause an increased appitite. So long as you keep your calories in check you should be fine.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    My son has taken it on and off over the past 3 months and did gain 6lbs in that time span (he just turned 10).
  • MsBeautifullOne
    MsBeautifullOne Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It a mild steroid...
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I took 30mg prednisolone (near enough the same thing, right?) for 14 days and while I was being very aware of what I ate due to the Dr warning me about an increased appetite and a family history of weight gain using it, I actually felt no more hungry then normal and lost 7lbs despite doing nothing different!
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    It is a 6 day pack, starts with 6 pills today (4 mg each) and then 5 tomorrow, 4 the next day and so on....
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    The reason I am so worried is we are doing a weigh in challenge at Zumba and I am doing really good so far. Every pound counts! lol
  • LixxiLees
    LixxiLees Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off it for 10 years due to arthritis and uveitis. I put on weight but alot of it was bad diet and binging due to depression (caused by them!).

I'm now losing that weight and it's coming off pretty easy, but I don't put on any weight when I do a short sharp dose when it's needed!
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is a steroid so it can cause mild weight gain.
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    It won't cause weight gain if you're only on it for a week. Those of us who have been on it for months on end, yes. If you want to read more about it, check out my blog. I have a whole post dedicated to Prednisone:

www.ronnielee-fightingforit.blogspot.com
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My husband is on it ALL THE TIME, it feels. Right now he's on day 3 of 15, paired with 21 days of antibiotics for a sinus infection.

By day 2, he'd gained 7 lbs on his 6'4", 200 lb frame. Was it all from the Prednisone, probably not. But it seems to make him retain water. So whenever he's on it he increases his water intake from 12-16 cups to double that (I know that's a lot of water, but we don't drink soda, juices, etc....) Normally when it's all said and done, he's up a pound or two, but it comes off easy when he's off it.

My brother, on the other hand, is on a daily dose due to some severe medical conditions and it has contributed to his long-term weight gains.
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    Taking the pack for 6 days you will be fine plus the dose is low. I am on and off pred due to lupus. I gained 4olbs in 2 months, but well worth the return in my health. When I am on 10 mg or less i barely notice the weight gained when paired with healthy eating and exercise. I am fighting now to get back to regular weight but it is a struggle with steroids being part of my daily routine.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So I went to the allergist yesterday and he said I am having a severe allergy attack. I live in lower Alabama and the pollen level here is off the charts - he prescribed me prednisone for 6 days. I have heard that this will make you gain weight but if I am only taking it for 6 days will it still make me gain weight?

i have been on prednisone multiple times; sometimes for longer than a month.

occasionally, my weight shot up fast. however, during the taper down, it fell just as fast. i will say that for me, it increases hunger. however, when i didn't actually eat more than usual, the weight was lost as soon as i tapered down.

my guess is that if you don't take in more calories, you won't experience permanent weight gain.

prednisone is not my favorite medication, but it has helped me out a few times, so i'm grateful that it is an option.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I took a step down dose stera-pack for a sinus infection for six days and I gained six pounds. It makes you very hungry and lethargic. After I finished the medication and got back to my normal fitness routine it came off.