women - prednisone help?

Options
if anyone out there knows a lot about prednisone, i have a question for you. just comment/message. thanks girls.

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    What's the question? I don't know if I can answer it if I don't know what it is.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I have chronic bronchitis and they always put me on it to help. Whats up?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was on Prednisone for about a month after a very nasty lung infection pretty much destroyed my lungs. It worked for my lungs but I gained a 8lbs of water weight in a month. I was bloated, tired, sleepy, cranky, and just not happy.

Ask your doctor if there is an alternative you can try instead.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    its a steriod that can reduce inflamation so making the body more comfortable
    often used in severe asthma can be used for arthritic pain
    can be used by those who have had transplants to help with rejection
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    i have been on prednisolone for 6years for poly myelgesia rheumatica
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 10 days and it really messed up my hormones. My period is still irregular because of it.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been on prednisone for about two years now, for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. It worked really well when my flare-ups were really bad, now that I've somewhat stabilized on other medications, my rheumatologist has been decreasing my doses, to hopefully get off of it entirely. I'm currently I'm on 4 mg a day. I've gained weight, and I've swelled up in my ankles/feet. I'm hoping to get off the medication soon.

What's your question??
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I take prednisone when my asthma goes out of control. I'm actually on it right now because I came down with bronchitis last week and my asthma couldn't handle it.

Prednisone can cause an increase in appetite and also can cause water weight gain. If you're diabetic it can make your numbers skyrocket through the roof (like running double what you normally would). I had to be switched to insulin for my diabetes this week after the prednisone sent my numbers way too high for someone in the last trimester of pregnancy.
  • Blueeyed1985
    Blueeyed1985 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use a product called Young Living Essential oils for all different uses. I love them and I'm sure there are some oils that can help with the issues you are having. Let me know!
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am on this medication right now. I have taken it plenty of times before but I feel terrible this time. I am starving all day long, nauseated, my period is super late, I am dizzy, and feel really weak. I do not know if the difference is in the fact that I am still trying to stay within my calorie limit while taking this or what. but I did notice that last night after I ate my pulse regulated and became stronger (it was pretty faint before I ate) not sure what to do.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Been on that for chronic bronchitis/pneumonia or for a severe allergy attack. If I can help message me.,

It is known to cause temporary weight gain and increases your hunger level. If it is for a specific problem, ie bronchitis, asthma attacks and such, its usually given over a period of 5 to 7 days with a decrease in dosage every day. If you have 7 pills on day 1, you should take all seven at the same time and so on. Be sure to finish them and dont stop even if you start feeling better.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking them for arthritis. Only for 7 days. My children have taken them when they have had acute asthma attacks. Sometimes the benefits out weigh the risks.
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been on prednisone quite a few times myself. I have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) and it is sometimes used to control my flareups. I don't like taking it because of the side effects but it does fix my flare ups. It def depends on what diosage you are on also - very low doeses havde less impact of course........you need to taper off it over a period of weeks.
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    I also have IBD (ucerative colitis), and this is the third time I've been on it in the last year. If you want to read all about my ups and downs with it, check out my blog. I have a whole post just dedicated to Prednisone:

www.ronnielee-fightingforit.com

Good luck!
  • Ksbyrneuk
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on prednisone off and on for last 10 years. I'm currently taking 15 mg daily, down from 20 mg due to huge flare. Prednisone can be a wonderful drug used to reduce inflammation. I know it makes me gain weight, especially in face and belly fat (called cushing syndrome ) but I would rather have those side effects and be able to function for my kids then be flat on the couch with a flare. Short term use like a medrol dose pack will make you bloat but should not cause much in permanent weight gain other than it increases your appetite so really watch calories. let me know if I can help answer any other questions:)

Anyone else with RA/ autoimmune diseases trying to loose weight?
  • squirrelygirl82
    Options
    I am a nurse, I can try to help, what is your question? Feel free to send me a message if you don't want to post it publicly.
  • Skye259
    Skye259 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been on prednisone several times, all I have to do is at the pill and will gain weight, this time I need to lose 20 lbs. i am on a high dose 50mg /day ~ have to stay on it for 6 days and than 1/2 for 6 days and so on, I find it super addicting meaning even if only on it a week, takes weeks to get off of it; terrible side effects ~ thins your skin, bloated, tired but hyper can't sleep, and yes, hungry, hungry, hungry. Hopefully this is it for a long time.