Ab exercises (standing up)

Options
So i'm looking for an exercise that I can do for abs but standing up. I have a problem with my lumbosacral area as the bones don't align properly and the sacrum actually kind of creates a drop off and when I do normal crunches anything that as a rolling up down motion it creates ALOT of pain very untolerable and it is then quite irritated afterwards.

So I'm just wondeirng if any one had some suggestions so I could avoid this problem?

I'm going to be getting this checked out in a couple weeks by a doctor once I'm back home from school to recommend some options but until then suggestions please :)

Replies

• blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump...same here...would love to know.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you mean any rolling of your back against a hard surface? If that's the case, then try some Standing Band Crunches.
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    1. Stand with a weight about 15 to 20 lbs in one hand at your side and the other hand on your head like your doing crunches on the floor, only your standing up, slide the weight up and down your thigh, but don't actually touch your thigh, just keep it close. Contract your abs as your sliding the weight up and down. Feet hip width apart, slight bend in the knees.

2. Put your hands in the air like your going to do jumping jacks, but bring them down to your waist, moving your arms from side to side, you'll look kinda funy, but you'll feel a great oblique workout.

3. Boxing, is a great ab work out. Punch ( jab) like your going to punch someone in the nose, using both arms, really twist your core side to side as your punching, great all over ab workout

These are 3 different ab work outs.

Good luck! Have fun with it!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    jillian michael's does a few...i dont remember the exact name but you stand legs shoulder width apart and raise your left leg and touch with your right arm, than switch and do a set of 15. If you can't touch that's fine you'll be better with time. You tube might have a few
  • sandinicole
    sandinicole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is also a machine I've heard called the roman chair you stand up with your back against a pad and hold on to bars you then lift your legs. You can either lift them straight out, lift and bend at the knees or bend your knees and pull your legs up swinging them in a figure 8 motion. It's really good for your lower abs sorry if my explanation is confusing!
  • darkmouzy
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! These are great!

And yes when i'm doing motions like that on hard surfaces I even have a yoga matt but it doens't really help much.

Thanks for these awesome exercises!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have some fire wood that needs splitting. That can be intense. Have a go, if you want.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a cable machine? Pallof press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcH0UsXRVw
    Planks, farmer's walks or waiter's carry with weight in one arm as heavy as you can. Do heavy squats too-that will give you strong abs as well. One more -hanging leg raises.
  • asphyxiac
    asphyxiac Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do standing pulldowns! They are great, and all you need is a resistance band.

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/physicaltherapy/a/shoulder_joint.htm
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Cable crunches are a good alternative as a standing up exercise as well as hanging leg raises and dumbbell side bends.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises, squats and deadlifts. Nice thing is that the latter two work out a lot of other things at the same time. Compound exercises FTW.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I blogged about a few of the workouts I have been doing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jadedone/view/standing-ab-workouts-skip-crunches-211823

There are three workouts in the post, with and without weights. I feel them all, and now I just mix up all the moves. The self workout has a couple of moves that are really hard. Also standing abs really help your balance.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner has an Ab workout dvd and half of the exercises are standing up...They work wonders!!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Try stationary planks. Can also add in a twist where you start in plank and bend one knee and twist to the opposite side. Those should work your abs and obliques without causing back pain.
  • darkmouzy
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions these are great!
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump this one for later
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    IMO, the captain's chair is one of the best "no crunch" abs exercises. If you don't have a gym membership, or your gym doesn't have one, you can purchase one for around $150.00.

I did a search on Amazon for "standing abs DVD" and quite a few ab workouts popped up. (I love ab workouts and saw several I'm putting on my wish list.) And kickboxing can give your abs a standing workout too.

Good luck!
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Stomach vacuums are a great exercise that can be done anywhere in pretty much any position.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    These aren't standing, but they aren't crunches.

Try Planks and Mountain Climbers.