Why does 35 lb seem so impossible????

Options
I LOVE seeing all of these success stories. They are so inspirational and MFP has definitely helped to keep me motivated so far. But I just feel like the stupid 35 lbs I want to lose is sooo far off and that I will never reach it. I know that sounds so pathetic compared to all of you who have lost so much more than that and I am absolutely amazed by all of you who have done so well. I really look up to you all and I hope I can reach my goal like all of you have. Am I the only one feeling this way? Is it because I am just starting out?

Replies

• itsawarinthere
    itsawarinthere Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of "35 pounds", but just tackle one pound at a time. You can do it!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's probably because you're just starting out, like you said. Hopefully you'll be making some sustainable (key word here) changes in your eating habits. That should give you some initial motivation to get started, because you'll see some immediate and tangible differences between "then" and "now".

The weight loss is going to be slow, no doubt about it. For that reason it might seem hopeless, because it's human nature to hope for immediate results. In a couple weeks however, you'll start seeing some differences. That will be assurance that you're making the right choices and heading in the right direction. Keep up with the new eating habits (the reason "sustainable" is so important here), and you'll make it.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    When I first started out, I never thought I could do it. But I promised myself that I had to keep at it and give it time. I originally only wanted to lose 30 pounds - and have now lost 40, with a goal to lose another 10 because now I know that I can. You can too! Just keep at it, don't get discouraged by little setbacks, and it will happen. Your mind has to be in it, 100% :)
  • ilvmykidz
    ilvmykidz Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks! I am already seeing a difference actually. Only lost about 2 lbs (haven't put that on here yet) but I am noticing pants fitting better already and definitely a big difference in my endurance and strength. So that really helps.
    I will have to do it one lb at a time like you said. I must say everyone one on here is such a big help! I love this site! lol
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options
    Make mini-goals and set your sights on those. It's much less daunting that way!
  • OngaFish
    OngaFish Posts: 5
    Options
    Eat healthy in moderation and get good exercise.

The weight will take care of it self.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    how do you eat a large watermelon or a huge roasted turkey? all at once? all by yourself? probably not, although some growing teenagers would disagree with me here... Like anything else in life, it is better to cut the larger goals into much smaller units :) you will always feel good because your goals will be more realistic and you will be able to achieve them one at the time.
  • gaj87
    gaj87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No, you are not the only one that feels that way. I have lost 58 pounds with 8 more to go and I feel the same way about the 8. I agree about making small goals and not looking at the "big" picture. It does feel impossible but you can achieve it. I celebrated when I hit a new decade in my weight, new clothes size, or new percentage lost. I also had a lot of encouragement from friends and family. If you need or want encouragement feel free to add me as a friend. Choose the impossible mission....you will feel wonderful when completed and along the way.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you think it's impossible, then it will be impossible.

If you think it's achievable and don't give up no matter how hard it gets, then you will get there.

That simple.
  • carinaut
    carinaut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm feeling EXACTLY the same! I also want to lose 15 kg (=34 lbs) and I'm just getting started. Could really use some motivation for exercice :-) If you want to, feel free to add me, I think some mutual support from people who feel the same would be great.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am already seeing a difference actually. Only lost about 2 lbs (haven't put that on here yet) but I am noticing pants fitting better already and definitely a big difference in my endurance and strength. So that really helps.
    I will have to do it one lb at a time like you said. I must say everyone one on here is such a big help! I love this site! lol

It is definitely easier to see and take on at 1 or 5 lbs at a time rather than the lump number! I tend to go by 10s because I want to reward myself at 10s, but every half pound on that scale counts!! :laugh:
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I'm right there with ya!!! I want to lose a little over 20 but just can't seem to get myself moving and motivated and focused. Keep at it, we'll both get there.
  • OhioMade
    OhioMade Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When i started i had 43 lbs to lose, and yes it did feel overwhelming, but as the weight comes off, you will start to get motivated and excited. I look at it one week at a time, and i try to reach my weekly goal each week. Now iam nearing the halfway mark, and i cannot believe what i have achieved. Feel free to add me. Best of luck to you.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I had 170 pounds to lose, and I used to think, "what's the point?" I never thought I'd be able to lose that much weight. Now, I have less than 100 pounds to reach my goal. Sure, that's still a lot of weight to lose, but the point is- you CAN do it. Yes, it takes hard work- losing any amount of weight, big or small, takes work and dedication, but you have it within yourself to do this.
    The way I look at it is, time is going to pass by, whether I try to lose weight or not. It's already April! I figure I'll look pretty decent by Christmas, and I am fine with that...it'll be here before I know it!

Just keep at it and the weight WILL come off- it's all up to you :)