Foam roller

Options
Does anyone use a foam roller to loosen tight muscles? I was thinking about investing in one for my IT band soreness but don't want to spend the money if it really isn't any more useful than stretching.

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have one, it's amazing! I can't live without it now! I always use the roller and stretch after exercising.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The thing changed my life.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do! It's about 14-16 bucks and it works great. I did use it every day when I started working out. Now since my muscles are more looser, I dont use it as much.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    i have one, and it's the only piece of home fitness equipment I use daily.
    It works miracles!
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love my foam roller!! That and taping saved my IT band. It is worth the money. I wish it could help my ankle now.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    It's worth it. I bought mine at Walmart for $20. Start there and then if you like it you can get a rumble roller or something like that.
  • knitchals
    Options
    I love my foam roller and recommend them whenever someone tells me they are having IT band issues. I am a marathon runner and had an issue with my IT band during my first full marathon training plan. That was several years ago and I wouldn't be without one. It will hurt like nobody's business if you are using it correctly, but it's a good pain! Other than having another trainer stretch my IT band, this is the only way to do it. I also use it for tight hamstrings, quads, lower back, calves...you name it! It is definitely worth it.
  • diannemlk
    diannemlk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I got one for my husband and now we both use it. Definitely helps you recover faster. Also used one a lot during physical therapy for hip pain. Husband uses it for his IT band. He bikes 4000 miles/year.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I love my foam roller!! That and taping saved my IT band. It is worth the money. I wish it could help my ankle now.

How do you tape your IT band? Do you use that sports tape? I have chronic hip that causes pain in my IT band so wondering if taping might help me.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have one too. Not pleasant in the beginning ...

If you have IT band issues - make sure you see a health professional (physical therapist) who can give you advise about exercises and the use of the foam roller - 'first do no harm'
  • fitnessbudget
    Options
    Where can I get instructions on how to use a foam roller??...I see them in the gym - but don't know how they are used.....:huh:
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I got one and use it after every workout! REally good tool to aid in recovery.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They have one at my gym that I use but I don't usually get that sore from working out. I think my body has adapted so I don't really notice the difference.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X2, Tony Horton swears by the foam roller. I had not purchased it at the beginning because I was a skeptic. After seeing that Tony spends 20 minutes avarage pretty much in each workout using the foam roller, I decided to buy one... I should have never doubted Tony. "They" say that if used properly, the foam roller is as effective as a sports massage.... I used it and I am a believer. It is remarkable how it helps with soreness and it allows you to stretch and concentrate on pressure spots. I bought mine at fitness depot, it was a very well spent $28.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Where can I get instructions on how to use a foam roller??...I see them in the gym - but don't know how they are used.....:huh:

We have one at the gym I go to and I wasn't sure how to use. Fortunately, our gym also has a computer so I looked it up on youtube. :laugh: Depending on what body part you want to use it on, you should do your search for that.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm about to invest in one. My trainer begins and ends my sessions with one and it's the best feeling ever!
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Saw this thread, and am having IT Band issues right now. Not major, but just bought new running shoes today to try to correct the problem (my right foot rolls inward slightly when I walk or run), and I have been doing stretches, RICE and my own hand massages and laid off the running a bit.

I'd like to order a foam roller online ASAP, as the guy at the running store told me it would do wonders for my IT Band and is great for runners in general, and thought I could get them cheaper this way. I don't know the right size to buy, though. Do I need to get the full long one, or can I go with a shorter one?
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

How do you tape your IT band? Do you use that sports tape? I have chronic hip that causes pain in my IT band so wondering if taping might help me.

I get my IT taped by a physical therapist at a workout place I go to. It's called kenisio (I probably spelled it wrong) tape and you can find it to buy it on your own. If you have a knowledge of anatomy you can apply it yourself. My IT tape runs from my lower back, over my hip, down to my knee and then we place bands perpendicular at places where it really hurts. You might be able to find someone near you who can tape it for you. It is a bit odd, different from sports tape, but it works.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. Great for ITB. There are many sites that give you instruction on how to use them - just google myofascial release. I've seen dvds with full roller sessions on them. Be warned - it is painful at times and tiring to use if you're sore from working out.

I made a small "roller" out of two tennis balls tied in a tube sock for my achilles and calves - magic!

My physio recommends them to all his runners (and I'm sure anyone working out or athletic).