30 day shred any good?

Options
I've seen this mentioned a few times on mfp and elsewhere, but i just watched the video for level 1 and realized i do about twice that at the gym 4 - 6 times a week (cardio, weights, strength, swimming, classes, boxing)!!!!! But even with calorie counting and healthy eating alongside exercise, i have only seen very small and very slow progress in 2 months, so how can this program work in 30 days? i don't get it..

Anyone done it and lost inches quickly?

Replies

• momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    just started it 2 weeks ago and just finished level 1. I have lost a total of 8.5 inches and 2 of that was off my belly! So yes it works for me. I was also doing shorter than normal and less frequent ( 2 miles instead of 3 and 3 days/week instead of the usual 5 days a week) runs in the evenings while I was doing level 1. I was getting discouraged b/c I didn't lose any lbs at all and finally got brave and measured last night. needless to say I was pleasantly shocked! I start level 2 tomorrow and am looking forward to it. It took me 2 weeks instead of 10 days because of a crazy schedule but I still got results! Good Luck.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    I'm currently on Level 2. I like it a lot... Level 1 was much better. Level 2 is a ***** and I sweat lots but I get a pretty good workout in. I also love Jillian though but I suggest everybody try it. It's only 20 minutes a day for 30 days anyway.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: bump
  • HBL2012
    HBL2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have done 30Day Shred before I had my son and got amazing results, In the 30 days I lost about 5lbs which isn't HUGE but cm wise I lost HEAPS, I toned right up and dropped a full dress size. I think the low weight loss results is simply because of the muscle your gaining..
    Most important thing about it is to make sure you don't have any "catch your breath" breaks while doing it. if you want results just perserver right through it. It's only short though like 26minutes or something..
    Good luck..

I am starting it again too..gained heaps while pregnant :(
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    yes lordy lord!! lol i couldnt finish cause i had to move but i fully intend to finish once im settled!!! loooove Jillian!!
  • jeangirl928
    jeangirl928 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have done Jillian's 30 DS and then Ripped in 30. I thought they were both good quick workouts but personally were not enough for me. My heart rate usually only stayed in range for about 10 minutes and there is definitely not enough cardio in my opinion. I would usually only burn about 150 -200 calories per session. I like to be more in the 300 calorie burn range. After each workout I would add in my own extra cardio- running in place, jumping jacks ect. and then do more ab exercises on my own. I do think it helped strength and tone my body some. I only lost a about 2 pounds total. I think it is a good workout for more of the beginner crowd in my opinion.
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just finished all 30 days and loved it. I lost 12 pounds and everything is a lot more toned. Level one is not representative of the entire program, it gets way harder. The idea behind it is to work out smarter and force your body to change quickly. I do think it is better for beginners than people who already active and excersing.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am on D13 L3 (total 27 days) Love it. Done in 22 minutes plus added 15 min mile on treadmill walking.

Love it
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have done Jillian's 30 DS and then Ripped in 30. I thought they were both good quick workouts but personally were not enough for me. My heart rate usually only stayed in range for about 10 minutes and there is definitely not enough cardio in my opinion. I would usually only burn about 150 -200 calories per session. I like to be more in the 300 calorie burn range. After each workout I would add in my own extra cardio- running in place, jumping jacks ect. and then do more ab exercises on my own. I do think it helped strength and tone my body some. I only lost a about 2 pounds total. I think it is a good workout for more of the beginner crowd in my opinion.

I'm in this crowd. It's a good way to get in a quick work out especially in the morning. If you're more towards the start of your fitness journey it will be a great work out for you, but if you've been working on strength and cardio for a while it may not be as challenging as you would like. I use it as a supplement to other things I am doing, not as a replacement. For example, I run at night and I have command PT in the mornings MWF, so T/TH in the mornings I do this before work. Or if I'm looking for a little extra oomph. Personally I prefer Jillian Michaels "No More Trouble Zones" as a longer (45ish minutes) and somewhat harder workout for people who have been working at this for a while.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks for all the tips on other programs guys. I've never done a full video/ dvd workout before, i'm more of a gym person tbh but looking for something i can challenge myself with that i don't look a fool in front of the guys at the gym haha
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're a gym rat but you need some variety/inspiration/guidance I suggest this book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

I just started it and it's great. I've had so many people recommend it to me I lost count. It'll give you a lot of ideas/tips/exercises for the gym. In my experience if I FEEL like I know what I'm doing I don't care what other people think, but when I'm trying to figure something out or try something new that I don't know if I'm doing it right I feel like everyone's watching/juding me haha. Knowledge is power!
  • choilap
    choilap Posts: 5
    Options
    I love level 3. I. Do add 30min of walking or swimming to the 30daydvd. Think you need more than 20 min especially if you are over 40
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I'm 31, only have 15lbs to lose but really looking to speed up the rate of loss now. I just read that 30 day shred is def better for weight loss than ripped in 30 which is mainly about building muscle? Anyone done both and can comment?
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 31, only have 15lbs to lose but really looking to speed up the rate of loss now. I just read that 30 day shred is def better for weight loss than ripped in 30 which is mainly about building muscle? Anyone done both and can comment?

I def disagree...I just finished Ripped in 30, and it is somewhat similar to 30 day shred. I did the Shred a few times in college, but never completed it. However, Ripped is def for weight loss too. The strength moves are more advanced in ripped in comparison to the 30DS, plus there is 4 weeks in RI30 which is more than 30DS. I did ripped for weight loss, but I got stronger, loss inches, AND WEIGHT! The concepts of both workout is similar though!
  • jeangirl928
    jeangirl928 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ok so I have already chimed in but if you are considering getting a Jillian video I would suggest getting her No More Trouble Zones which is 45 mins of total strength training and alternate that with her Blast Fat Boost Metabolism DVD which is about 45 mins of straight cardio- it is a exhausting workout! Both of these workouts are way more intense than the 30DS or Ripped in 30. I think you will be happier than these 2 since they are definitely more hard core and for the person who is already in pretty good shape.