So demotivated :(

Options
Hello everyone,
I joined MFP about 4 months ago. I loved the site and it really helped me lose about 4 kgs. I logged in daily, and exercised atleast 4 times a week.
My goal weight loss is about 10 kgs (approx 20 pounds).
But since the past 3 weeks I just lost motivation, stopped exercising, and returned to my old eating habits (unhealthy to the core).

Today I decided to get back to the gym since not only do I feel unhealthy, I feel fatter. I'm scared of weighing myself and finding out that I may have put on all that I lost, so i'm staying away from the weighing scale.

Have any of you gone through this phase? how did you drag yourself out and get back into a healthier lifestyle?

Please help!

Replies

• yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest thing is getting comfortable and quitting the thigs that you know are good for you...if you really want to get back on the wagon, my only advice is 2-4 days of super healthy eating with good workouts. It will get you back in the frame of mind and ready to go another 12 weeks...good luck!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I do it so my children's children will have a grumpy old grandfather to be embarrassed of. This is why I run, walk, lift etc. :D
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've gone through this phase. I'll make a long story short and just say that I have MORE THAN one hundred pounds to lose now. My best advice is to get on that scale first thing tomorrow morning and face the music. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The less I think about it the better! What I mean is that I just go and do it. I call it "autopilot".

I'm impressed that you recognize and want to get back in to your routine. Good for you!!!
  • tcheryl
    tcheryl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i like the grumpy grandfather!!! anything to keep you motivated:)
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    You have to WANT to change. I have had times when I don't want to work out or I messed up my calories (like today) but I force myself to get up and exercise. I look at what I've accomplished so far and that helps but what makes me get up off my butt and do something more than that is the reasons I do it; for my son, my health, and to freaking prove my dad's friend wrong when he told me that he thought that I was a quitter. You take it day by day.

Something you may want to try is make small goals for yourself. I'm going to exercise this much today or I'm not going to go anywhere near this food.

If you are searching for inspiration, sometimes it can be just looking in the mirror or looking at what you'll wear once you get to your goal. I know that some people give themselves prizes/gifts/rewards once they've reached a goal that may help you to stay motivated.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I cant speak for everyone but i am pretty sure most people go through this....glad to see your back...just start again and try your best...its a learning process....just set yourself mini goals so you feel like your are working for/ and acheiving small things rather than focusing on the goal as a whole its a little easier that way. I have learned if i dont push my self too hard at working out i dont dread it too much (working out is my downfall)...i pretty much try to get in about 20mins rather than push myself to do an hour a day...i figure i will work up to that...and as long as i am waking up everyday not dreading doing it....at least im an doing something :) Good luck!! I know you can do it if you set your mind to it :)
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    "Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward and finding the answer."
    --Denis Waitley
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I went through these cycles for years until I looked in the mirror real hard one day at 450# and DID NOT like what I saw! You can do this as long as you put your mind to it. Step on the scale, update your tracker, and count this as a fresh start on your new life.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Stop being so restrictive with your diet. Restrictive dieting is synonymous with failure.

You want to lose fat? Simple:
    (1) Find your maintenance calories (this is your BMR + activity factor)
    (2) Take 20% off those calories.
    (3) Find your macronutrient minimums then allocate remaining calories how you want
    (4) Eat foods that fit into your calories and macros. This does not mean eat only "junk" but it also doesn't mean not to eat that stuff.

What does this mean? Eat what you enjoy! Make your diet suit your lifestyle, not your lifestyle into your diet. Eat things you enjoy. Let's say you want a chocolate bar and you have 400 calories left over. A chocolate bar is only around 160-200 calories. Eat it. It fits and you'll continue to lose fat just as well as someone who is being absurdly "healthy." Your health will not be negatively effected.

As long as you stick to what I said, you will be more successful than most people on here. Be flexible with your diet. Restrictiveness is statistically more likely to lead to dietary failure than a flexible dieter.

Don't worry about healthy and unhealthy. Just be reasonable in your approach to dieting. It's as easy as that.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that a healthy and realistic way of losing weight is after every 12 weeks of eating at a deficit we eat for 1 week at maintenance. I have always failed at diets at 3-4 months because I have craved things I have denied myself and then just binged, if I do it this way I know that I have another 3 weeks left and I will allow myself that cheesecake or pizza and for the first time ever I am not craving anything.
  • vanilakitten
    vanilakitten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much.
    I'm going to start today, and definitely not give up foods like chocolates etc, just make sure that I can fit them into my daily goals.

Time to get back on that dreaded weighing scale again. :)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    So know how you must be feeling, I have been going through this phase all week! Topped off with Easter eggs and junk food. Now I've had enough of feeling fat, I've made a mental decision to get back on track now. Decision. Commitment. Determination. All those things will get us to where we want to be.