Someone please help me w/ my calorie intake? Am I taking in

Options
I am really worried that I am taking in too many calories.

Here's the deal, every day I cut down to 1630 calories. I am pretty good about staying on track.
BUT then I exercise, I have currently started P90X (through my cousin's DVDs, I do not have the nutrition plan). According to what everyone says, websites, etc, P90X burns approximately 400 calories a session.
Then, I eat back 400 calories, 1600-400 = 1200 + 400 = 1600, but actual FOOD CALORIES = 2000
This puts me at 2000 calories a day--that's about normal intake!
Can someone pleeeease help me understand if this is right, or is this too much? This is normal intake for me and I do not want to keep my current level of weight, I want to lose it!
Someone from calorie counter. com (or something like that, on a different forum) said that after you eat 1600 calories, if your exercise puts you below 1200, eat back calories to get back to 1200, but not necessarily back to 1600. That makes sense to me.

Please help!!! :)

Replies

• maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to check out my food diary, be my guest!
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your caloric defeceit is already built into your MFP 1600 calorie goal. You're doing it correctly!

Just make sure you're realistic with your workout estimates, and your portion estimates and the math will take care of itself.

-- If you search, there are a ton of threads on this subject.. "Should I eat my exercise calories".. General concensus is, yes, eat all or almost all of them for best overall results.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. You may be consuming 2000 calories, but you are burning off 400 through exercise, resulting in 1600 net calories consumed. Your calorie deficit would be exactly the same if you'd only eaten 1600 calories and not exercised.

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust online estimates for calories burned; they're often too high. I would invest in a heart rate monitor if possible.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, and age? Also, how often do you do P90X or any other workouts in a week? What do you do for a living? Do you have any health issues such as PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease, or thryoid conditions?
  • azcat1281
    azcat1281 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think it is too much to eat myself !! I am glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing !:smile:
  • maddiey
    Options
    What is your height, weight, and age? Also, how often do you do P90X or any other workouts in a week? What do you do for a living? Do you have any health issues such as PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease, or thryoid conditions?

174lbs/5'6"/19yrs
    Well I just started the Lean p90X Yesterday, and this is my second day (tomorrow April 9th being the 3rd). Currently I do not have a job anymore, but on top of exercising P90X I ride horses at least twice a week, work on a farm, and go to the gym. And no health issues :)
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. You may be consuming 2000 calories, but you are burning off 400 through exercise, resulting in 1600 net calories consumed. Your calorie deficit would be exactly the same if you'd only eaten 1600 calories and not exercised.

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust online estimates for calories burned; they're often too high. I would invest in a heart rate monitor if possible.

agree with all that, especially the HRM.
  • maddiey
    Options

Yes, I agree with you! I am looking into getting one... haha. That's just generally what people are saying about this particular program
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am also doing p90x (starting my 3rd week) and eating 2,000. My goal is to preserve as much of my muscle as possible and lose slow and steady. I'd say stay that high for a few weeks and see what happens, then reassess. The nutrition guide actually recommends a min cal level of 1750 if I remember correctly. :)
  • maddiey
    Options
    I am also doing p90x (starting my 3rd week) and eating 2,000. My goal is to preserve as much of my muscle as possible and lose slow and steady. I'd say stay that high for a few weeks and see what happens, then reassess. The nutrition guide actually recommends a min cal level of 1750 if I remember correctly. :)

I really, really wish I had the nutrition plan! Are you seeing results with it? So far I really like the work outs, but I am only on day 2 haha.
  • cincymomof3
    Options
    A little off topic, but if you'd like some support from fellow p90x'ers you should join our group... P90x challenge. :)
  • Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I couldn't figure out why my HRM was showing significantly lower numbers than the projected cals on MFP. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong while exercising or slacking too much during my aerobics classes!
  • cincymomof3
    Options

I really, really wish I had the nutrition plan! Are you seeing results with it? So far I really like the work outs, but I am only on day 2 haha.

Yes, I think I actually am! I have finished 2 weeks and a couple family members commented on my body looking firmer (especially my butt lol) today. :) I really love the weight lifting and Ab ripper!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

174lbs/5'6"/19yrs
    Well I just started the Lean p90X Yesterday, and this is my second day (tomorrow April 9th being the 3rd). Currently I do not have a job anymore, but on top of exercising P90X I ride horses at least twice a week, work on a farm, and go to the gym. And no health issues :)

With your routine, you are Moderatetely Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) - by MFP standards this is "Active". Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2530.84 calories per day. For a 1.5lb per week average loss (which would be healthy), you would cut 750 calories per day and not eat back your exercise calories. This puts you at 1780 calories per day and again, do not eat back your exercise calories. If you only want a 1lb per week average loss, then you would only cut 500 calories per day for 2030 and not eat back your exercise calories.

Given that you have no health issues and are active, then a 35%carb/35%protien/30%fat setting is fine. Put your fiber to about 35g though...MFP settings are way too low. Soluable fiber helps slow the digestive process and helps you feel full longer.

I know that I am going to get some hate for saying not to eat back your excercise calories, but these numbers are reflective of your activity level, and eating them back would defeat the purpose.

Good luck!!
  • maddiey
    Options
    Pu-239, Iddreams--thank you very much for the break downs! That is very helpful, and exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to do this so bad, but I feel almost like I need a nutritionist just to understand what I'm doing here, thank you!

I would say though for someone who has looks nearly 200 pounds, you know what you're talking about! ;)

Thanks!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Pu-239, Iddreams--thank you very much for the break downs! That is very helpful, and exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to do this so bad, but I feel almost like I need a nutritionist just to understand what I'm doing here, thank you!

I would say though for someone who has looks nearly 200 pounds, you know what you're talking about! ;)

Thanks!!

You are welcome! I am not a "nutritionist" per say, but I do counsel nutrition as a living. I have set up plans for dozens of people and almost all of them are losing, so it works!
  • maddiey
    Options

Thanks!!

You are welcome! I am not a "nutritionist" per say, but I do counsel nutrition as a living. I have set up plans for dozens of people and almost all of them are losing, so it works!

It's a relief to finally just understand how to do this ,haha. I know "burn more than you eat", but gosh, isn't that generic??
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

174lbs/5'6"/19yrs

You are the same height and a similar weight as me, but a good deal younger. It sounds as if you are active if you work on a farm. Just to put it into perspective, I eat 1745 on non-workout days and on workout days I eat most of my calories back (not all as I have to use the machine/MFP estimates which are oftern high). I think your non-workout calorie burn should be higher than mine as you are a lot younger *sigh*. So, anyway, the numbers you are using do not sound out of whack but look a little on the light side (not by much).
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" 31 years old cw 165 sw 190. You're doing it right. My diary is open too.