Anyone else doing couch to 5k?

Options
I just started, and I'm looking for some motivation/friends who are also doing it :)

Replies

• scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am, I'm going out for week 2, day 2 in a little bit! So far so good - feel free to add me. Day 1 of week 2 I found considerably harder than the week before, but that might have just been because it was really cold, who knows. I can't say I can imagine running more than two minutes at a time yet though! Good luck, :)
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    saw a post about this yesterday and there are some groups for C25K - check the groups section. I started it last year but hurt my ankle - need to think about getting started again now ankle is better.
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes! And I'm loving it!! I'm on week 5. I repeated weeks 3 and 4 a couple of times until I was comfortable enough to move on.
  • k2sul
    k2sul Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 2, and starting week 3 tomorrow.

I'm considerably overweight and thought the whole idea at times was a bit fanciful, in that I was thinking my body couldn't cope with the stress. But I have to say, the slow, controlled approach has seen me enjoy the programme so far, and I'm actually looking forward (read as can't wait) to get on the treadmill for day 1 of week 3.

As other people have said, it may be a case that I have to start repeating weeks to build up strength/fitness/technique etc, but for now I'm loving it, and am sure you will too.

I've found tremendous satisfaction in going from being a lazy, lethargic over-eating health risk, to being an improving, focused, willing and eager beginner runner who can see small but definite improvement in every session.

Keep at it, and add me as a friend if you want some support along the way.
  • hoffo83
    hoffo83 Posts: 51
    Options
    where can i find information about couch to 5k? sounds like something i would like to try.
  • Emnee
    Emnee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I HATE running and always have, yet I have this sudden urge to do a 5k. I want to eventually run a marathon. It's one of my life's goals to accomplish at least once! I have been running (on the elliptical) everyday for at least 30 mins and I am hoping to eventually like the idea of running. I never knew there was an actual plan for the 5k, so I'm glad you brought it up. (: I will be more than happy to motivate you! & hopefully vice versa! There are a few 5ks happening in May around my area & I'm hoping I'll be prepared to do one by then! Good luck to us both! :bigsmile:
  • Emnee
    Options
    where can i find information about couch to 5k? sounds like something i would like to try.

This is my first time hearing about it too! I just googled it & found this website:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

^ Hope that helped!
  • hoffo83
    hoffo83 Posts: 51
    Options
    thanks very much. good luck to you with your 5k. feel free to add me if you think i can help in anyway.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have always hated running....unless it was TO a beverage BUT I LOVE C25K........WEEK 6 D3. I cried after my first 20 min straight because I could not believe I did it. This program is like no other and I can't wait to reach the final goal. While I am not geared towards a full marathon...the continued version is the 10k of the program and I totally plan to strive for that goal as well.

Feel free to add me if you like, I would love more motivation and am certainly your cheerleader!

Best of luck to all of you!

Cheers.
  • danystormborn
    danystormborn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback :) Added you all!
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did it a couple of years ago. I struggle to increase my fitness and could never manage to run for more than about 10 minutes, but this worked really well for me, and got me running 5K for the first time. Not running just now because of an injury, but since I did this programme I've found it much easier to pick up running again and up the time / distance a lot more quickly. Plus, because I've done it before, I know I can do it again - a lot of it is mental with me ;)
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    On Week 6 and loving it! Feel free to add me :)
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just started it last night!! Day 2 today :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love C25K. I was about to start week 6 when the bursitis in my hip flared up. I'm starting back at week 5 and going strong. My last 5K time was 38 minutes and I hope to improve it for Hero Rush on June 2nd.
  • givnthanx
    givnthanx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have attempted to do the couch to 5k several times but I always seem to give up and have never gotten past week 2 day 1. I have started it again after 6 months of coming up with excuses. I completed W1D1 yesterday and I am hoping that by being on MFP and putting it out there, I will be able to press on this time.

I have to be honest with you, yesterday was beautiful here in Georgia and I thought the run would be easy, but it sucked. It was hard. I have lost almost 30 lbs since I first started the couch to 5k last summer, and I thought it would be easier to start over. Boy was I wrong. I have to build my stamina up again just to get through the first week. But, just the same, I felt exhilerated when I finished. I did it! Only day 1 of week 1 but I did it and then walked an extra mile when I finished.

When you start, just don't give up. Feel free to add me if you want, we could encourage each other!
  • lemsiptoothpick
    lemsiptoothpick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started doing it a few weeks ago, but my sciatica has been quite bad, so I haven't been out running for a week or so - I went this morning and managed 7 mins of it before having to limp home! I'm not a natural runner, but it's a good way to get into it definitely.

Once the old back sorts itself, I shall join you!
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    just done week 2 day 2 and loving it i actually look forward to going out and doing it, i even did it running around my house today because the weather is horrible today

also here are a few groups aswell

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4081-c25k-friends

and for those who like to follow along with a podcast, here is a link to the free version i am doing

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/nhs-couch-to-5k/id394384987
    you just stick it on your mp3 player or phone, press play and away you go and it tells you when to run and when to walk

feel free to add me :smile:
  • Emnee
    Options
    Anyone know if it's possible to do the C25k program on the elliptical/treadmill? Should I be doing this outdoors on real ground? Is there a major difference in results between the two? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (:
  • danystormborn
    danystormborn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Finished W1D2!
  • lizo11
    lizo11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For the treadmill, I have found a couple of variations, http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html and http://www.5ktrainingschedules.com/treadmill-2/couch-to-5k-treadmill.html . I hope these help.

I also just finished week 7, day 1 this morning. Feel free to add me. :)