Running tips?

Options
Once you started running how soon after your first run did you try to improve your distance/time?
I have been trying to run for ages with the problem that I would always get stitches and have to stop.
I ran 2km's in 15 minutes yesterday, may not seem much to you but was to me and really want to improve but not burn myself out.

Also, any other good tips? :)

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    my tips are to have long distance sessions where you focus on endurance, only using 1 or 2 incline at an easier pace. and have some interval/sprinting sessions on other days for speed. with the distance sessions, set yourself a goal of time or kms, when you reach it, slowly increase your pace but not incline (also include some hill running sessions in your workouts, i personally have one day hill running, one day distance and one day sprints.) and with your intervals, dont go longer than 10 or 15 minutes and focus on increasing the length and speed of your sprints. hope i helped el <3 ask if any of that didnt make sense...
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of couch to 5k? Its a great training programme! Google it if you want. You don't have to start at the very beginning if you feel like you'd be up for more :)
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I worked on time, not distance. So, if you can run 15 minutes straight, do that a couple of times, then add two minutes, repeat. After I was able to run for more than 30 minutes, I began tracking my distance and worked on meeting those goals. Now, I'm in training for my second 10K.
  • Gr8mudassir
    Options
    (1).The best running tip is that, when you go for run you must count your running time and every day run on this time...
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    (1).The best running tip is that, when you go for run you must count your running time and every day run on this time...

:S what do you mean?
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    do not worry about speed, just focus on endurance. The stitches will go away as you build your strength and endurance. Make sure you are working your core muscles; that may help the stitches as well. You can try lifting your right arm as you run if you get a stitch, that may help to alleviate it. A really great way to start running is by following a structured program; Couch to 5k is a very popular one. Make sure you are wearing good shoes or it can cause injury down the road.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Forgot one thing: one of the rules of running is do not increase your distance more than 10% per week. Every week add distance, but don't go over 10%. You will find the longer you have been working on your running, the faster your speed. After you have been running for longer, you could start playing around with speed work, but I would think at this point you should just focus on endurance. Good luck!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great.

I personally have two methods for when I start back running, each spring.

1. Increase distance slowly. I gradually get to about 5 miles every other day. 3 miles normal days.
    2. Intervals. 30 seconds sprint, 15 seconds rest(walking).
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of couch to 5k? Its a great training programme! Google it if you want. You don't have to start at the very beginning if you feel like you'd be up for more :)

^^ this

Just started this myself and I struggle running for a minute, but it's helping
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I concentrated on endurance at first. I set a goal of 25 minutes straight at first, then upped it to 30, then 35 etc and didn't worry too much about the speed I was going at or anything. I just wanted to show myself that I could finish what I had started. After that I set goals of 4.5km, 5km, 5.5km and let go of the time aspect - again just used the endurance I had built up to show myself that I could reach the goal I had set for myself. After I had gone through all of those stages I felt confident enough in myself to start stretching myself speed-wise. It's a really personal thing I think. For me it was simply more motivational to not worry too much about speed/distance at first as it boosted my confidence (and therefore sparked a desire to head out again) more to see that I could keep running for longer and longer periods of time in one go at the beginning.

Oh and I used to get stitches all the time, but I never get them now.
  • Ms_Lassie
    Ms_Lassie Posts: 24
    Options
    Once you started running how soon after your first run did you try to improve your distance/time?
    I have been trying to run for ages with the problem that I would always get stitches and have to stop.
    I ran 2km's in 15 minutes yesterday, may not seem much to you but was to me and really want to improve but not burn myself out.

I have just completed the couch to 5k and it was fantastic for getting my running times longer. For me it was about being to run for those longer periods first (and that was over 10 weeks). Now that I can confidently run for 30mins (or longer if I wish) I am now concentrating on increasing my distances over that time. For that I am going back to the start of the c25k and doing sprint/jog intervals rather than walk/jog intervals. For me when sprinting I lift my legs & push harder so I want to use when jogging - and not my comfortable little shuffle that I have!!

For stitches, I've been told (as Sarafil said) about lifting your arm... I don't necessarily lift my arm but I have noticed that when I stitch up I've started slouching in my running. Straightening up (really through the spine/core) and breathing deeper into the diaphram really helps me keep going.

Just keep at it & you will get there! =)
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    Forgot one thing: one of the rules of running is do not increase your distance more than 10% per week. Every week add distance, but don't go over 10%. You will find the longer you have been working on your running, the faster your speed. After you have been running for longer, you could start playing around with speed work, but I would think at this point you should just focus on endurance. Good luck!

This, exactly. It is tough because you feel so much stronger so quickly, but it is VERY easy to burn yourself out or injure yourself if you increase distance too rapidly.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great post, I'm getting pumped for my run tomorrow just reading this xD
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is awesome. And if you're getting stitches, it's because you're running too fast for now. Go a little slower.

If you don't want to do C25K, intervals are still a great way to increase endurance. Run for 5 minutes, walk for two, run five more, walk for two... repeat for a half hour. Do that three times a week. Then try running 8 minutes, walk for two, repeat. Keep increasing your running time and decreasing your walking time until you can run as long as you want. And even if you have to keep adding a minute of walking here and there, that's perfectly fine, too.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    What speed did you all start running at?

I'm on 8km/5miles per hour... is this too fast to begin or just right?

I don't want to injure myself or burn myself out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I started at 5mph, but I know others that run at 4 or 4.5. If you're on a treadmill, start walking and keep nudging up the pace until you have to start running.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options

When I started, I set small goals along the way. I can run to that mailbox. When I got there, I can run to that tree, etc. I never run to a certain time. You must know this going in; your body will fail you long before your mind will. Have a strong mind & it will carry you to your goal. REMEMBER..., YOU GOT THIS!!

ps.., I ran 8.5 miles yesterday.