40, is it really the start?

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Oh and you can now join the 40 And Fabulous group. Silver lining and all that. I say lining, it's really hair that's starting to go silvery grey. :laugh:
    I cant say if life starts at 40 but at 41 I felt like a 60 year old and at 42 I feel like im 20 again.

As a 42 year old, you have a damned good physique. I'm trying to get lean at the moment.

Oh, my 40 year old self is much stronger than my 20 year old self so I feel good about myself. I mean, at 20, I couldn't do a single chin up. Now, I can do loads of wide grip pull ups.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I hate to break this to you, but 50 is really the start!

I am 51, and in the best shape of my life. My kids are almost independent - one still in college. I'm looking forward to retirement and lots of free time. I no longer feel the need to impress anyone but myself. :laugh:

The good outweighs the bad.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @ stevewynjones " a light hearted take on the old adage"

Steve - it can get better ... rode my first 100 mile bike ride at 50, ran my first half marathon at 52, ran my first full marathon at 54, did my first half ironman at 57, and did my first ultra marathon at 59 ... I need no red sportscar, leather jacket ....
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I have another year or so. But I'm doing my best to be my sexiest at 40. Working out like I did in my teens but this time with a mission and not a coach screaming at me. Kind of nice for a change.

...and PLEASE! We all know men age better. (Jerks!) :grumble:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'll be 58 this summer. My wife will be 50. I don't think either of us has any problem growing older, and, honestly, life just keeps getting better.

I guess it might be great to have achieved what we have back in our 20's or 30's, but we're in a great place now. We may not bang like bunnies any more, but, "what we used to do all night long, now takes us all night long to do."

Pretty happy and looking forward to growing older.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In my teen years, I had no money. In my 20's I was married, I had no money. In my 30's, after the divorce, I had no money.

In my 40's I have a solid income, no wife, and while my daughter is in college, I have plenty of disposable income. I'm having a blast! I didn't buy the car, I might have dated a bimbo or two, but now have found a lady about my age that I just adore. Life after 40, like anything else is how you chose it to be. Enjoy!
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options
    Well it happened...:sad: The big 40!

So is this the start? Does life really begin now? :ohwell:

I mean, it's not like I'm going to run out and buy a red sportscar, a leather jacket and date a bimbo.....

( To anyone concerned about this post..it's a light hearted take on the old adage. Nothing deeper!)

40 is the new 30! Im 40 and i love me more today than ever! I bought the sports car lol

40's the ****.. :smokin:
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm going to get a motorcycle. .. I think I'm my husbands mid life crisis.. does that make me a bimbo? Hey.. i'm in my 40's now and I quit smoking, losing weight, getting healthy working out .. and he's not doing any of that.

ahahahahah! "I think I'm my husbands mid life crisis"
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    40 isnt bad its what you make it to be. Im 46 and I promise you I have enjoyed my 40's more than any age i was before. My children are older and own their own and Im living now. Loosing weight eating better, working out alot I love it. BY the way I did go get a sportscar but now I can afford it LOL so do what you want and enjoy life.:smile:
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hope so. I'm 41. My 30s sucked. Hoping the 40s are better.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Turning 40 in September. Hoping it will be a lot like turning 18 was. Anticlimactic.
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    ... I'm still 17 in my head, and I just can't accept that my body is getting older. Dang it. :)

You will always feel that way.....free your mind and the rest will follow!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing about 40 I've found is having a younger guy show interest, then go 'oh, you're 40??' That can be depressing. :)
    BUT I'm better at 40 than I've ever been. Fitter, Happier, with more potential in my life than ever before. I'm not going let a number hold me back.
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm in much better shape now then when I was in my 30's and I have been told I am better looking now as well...since I shaved my head and all...so, maybe it is the start of a new me and a new beginning...I hope so ;)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Firstly-Happy Birthday!
    I am 44 soon to be 45. I'm not sure if this is the start (of anything) but its good knowing who you are-what you want and what you don't want.

Clarity and wisdom!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in January and feel awesome!! I couldn't wait to turn 40!! Best time of my life....
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I got a head start and started my journey after my 38th birthday. When I hit 40 I felt better than I did when I have in 20+ years and havent looked back.

40 is what you make it!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Ya, the day I turned 40 I got... wrinkles, dimples, pimples, & hair where I never even knew you could grow these things! :grumble: Sure~ 40 is great....ROCK ON!!! ~ I am sure you won't have this issue as you are male...lucky you! Maybe I'll get a sex change and it will reverse all this????...LOL :bigsmile:
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love being in my 40's. I started running and have never been in better shape!
  • shcarter67
    Options
    I'll be 45 this year and I feel like I am in my prime.