Weights used for 30-day Shred

Options
dilemma - so i'm doing 30-day shred and i'm using 7-pound weights and i'm fine for most of the "strength" segments, except the last one where you raise your arms up parallel to the ground while doing side lunges and i can't manage the whole 2 sets ... should i go down to 5 pounds? Does it make sense to do all of the moves w/ a lower weight or use the heavier weight and do as much as i can do?

I was thinking that maybe i could go up to 10 pounds on the two strength sets i find easy (the bent-over rows and the flys) ... thoughts?

Replies

• Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used 5lbs weights...can't imagine trying to do some of those w/ anything higher (at least not yet)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think you should use multiple weight depending on your strength and comfort level. Don't strain trying to use the 7s on ones that hurt, and don't just use the 7s on the exercises that are too easy for you.
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I struggle doing this part with 2.5kg weights!
    My arms are so weak :[
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I use two different sizes of weights (although mine are lower LOL) but IMO more reps work better for building up than more weight. I started with 5s, couldn't do it so I went down to 3s... now I can do all but one exercise (the same one as you have trouble with) with my 5s and I'm considering bumping a couple up to 7s.

I found that when I was trying to do more weight/less reps I just kept getting tired instead of building up. I like this way much better! =D

Good luck! =D
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    I use 3kg, but you are right the last one is a killer at these weight, so for this move only i reduced to 2kg.

I think what acdchica said is very good advice.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I use 5lb weight for the move you are describing. But 8lbs for the rest.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I can do the rest of the workout with 7s, but that move KILLS me. I use 3s.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb weights for some of the harder moves and 5lb weights for the easier moves. I'm working on upping them gradually x
  • Annabel1985
    Options
    Hello,

What is the 30 days shred?

Annabel xx
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do Kettleworx and moved up to 8kg (17.6lbs) which was fine, except for a couple of the moves and so I got a 5kg (11lbs) one to use for those. Personally, that's what I'd recommend doing, using a higher weight for what you can and then a lighter weight for the more difficult bits. If you can't do that, I'd say stick with the higher weight as otherwise you're not really pushing yourself. Then you can adapt it so that you can do it - either do less reps or change between arms more often, just find what works for you. Hope that helps.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, and my arms thank you also :)

Annabel - it's a workout video from Jillian Michaels (of biggest loser fame), 20 min + of circuit training.
  • 3audkids
    3audkids Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i"ve been using 3lb..because thats all i have. Not sure if I could do any heavier!
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use the 4kg because they are the only dumbbells I have. A little heavy for the lunge/arm raise but if I get really tired I alternate arms for a few. did use a pair of 1kg plates a while back but those were too light for me.