help! I ate too much. Don't want to throw up

Options
This might sound weird but I have emetophobia. An intense fear of throwing up. I had a huge meal today. Now I regret it. I stopped around 730pm. It's now 1245. I felt better a few hours ago but it felt like my anxiety kicked in. I had 2 tums. I think I'm in the clear. There are no cramps and I didn't eat anything funny (trust me it was a good meal). Can large meals kickstart anxiety also? I can't sleep and I'm usually passed out in no time.

Replies

• LillyMosley
    LillyMosley Posts: 166
    Options
    My friend suffers from this and definitely gets anxiety about it too. All I know of is to try and distract yourself and think of something you find reassuring and pleasant, like a really fond childhood memory.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Your stomach empties to the right. Lay on your right side and bring your knees to your chest. It helps, trust me...went through that too many times before. As far as anxiety being brought on by big meals - you bet. Excess anything is foriegn to the body. Too much sugar can spike your endorphins. Too many carbs can spike your blood sugar which can cause anxiety. Coffee and liquor can do it too. Lay down on your right and breathe deeply while imagining that separate parts of your body are floating away. Start with toes, then feet, then calves, thighs, fingers, hands, arms, then torso and finally head...you should feel light and ready to nod off.
  • cookiemonster4403
    cookiemonster4403 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks! I know deep down it's the anxiety. I read that big meals can bring it on. wild. again thanks for the support :) my emetophobia is pretty bad. I don't even drink alcohol because of the fear of vomiting.
  • cookiemonster4403
    Options
    189 pounds lost. amazing by the way!!
  • LillyMosley
    LillyMosley Posts: 166
    Options
    My friend questions anyone at work who has been sick as she is paranoid about catching anyones tummy bugs. When her husband was really sick and she had to call the ambulance, she made them go in the room with him, she couldn't do it as he was being sick. Hers started as her sister threw a bucket of vomit over her when they were kids.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    iddreams had really good advice. Listening to music or getting lost in a good book can help calm anxiety, too.
  • cookiemonster4403
    Options
    wow. mine started in childhood as well. my aunt was an emetophob and always talked about it. people don't realize it can take over your life. these stories are sad but comforting to know I'm not alone. thanks
  • Monti_e_lmt
    Monti_e_lmt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Idd is a very smart and kind lady, I'd take her advice. Yes you are not alone, I am scared of throwing up too bc it hurts so bad. There is something wrong with my diaphragm (a sliding hernia) so when I eat too much it is a big deal to me too and getting sick is very painful. I also know that the only 3 things that help me is laying on my right side (just like Idd said), sucking on a peppermint, and most of all ginger ale. Ginger is an old world remedy for nausea. So if you like Canada Dry, that is the best in my opinion. If not, you can get ginger capsules at your local supplement place and I think walmart carries it too, I get mine at GNC and carry it with me so I have something to take. My fear started when I was little too because I have chronic anxiety and when I am under too much stress I throw up, have insomnia, and diarrhea. When I was in elementary school, I had a first grade reading teacher that picked on me until I threw up and she would lie and say I made myself throw up which my parent knew was a lie because I would get sick every morning before school because I was so stressed out about her class. What it was is that I was ahead of my class, my mom taught me how to read when I was in kindergarten and I would get done with my assignments too fast and instead of admitting it and putting me in a higher reading level class (like my second grade teacher did) she just yelled at me and made me do the assignments over. She retired that year. She was an awful lady. But to this day I am afraid of throwing up because the kids in my class were so cruel. I have had digestive problems since I was a baby, I had colic and chronic flatulence that could peel paint and believe me I got made fun of for that too (my second grade teacher didn't help that bc if I tooted she made a scene in class and the kids were mean about that too which only aggravated my disorder). Come to find out I have diverticulitis/ibs and I didn't know until I was an adult. So you are not the only one that has this type of problems.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    :smile: I felt like I had gained back all the weight I lost all in on meal! I'm afraid to wake and and see the old me! Just get some sleep and in the morning is a new start.
  • timhoffg
    timhoffg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start anew with the next meal, get back on track, and don't give up.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about all too well. I have that soooo badly that I wont go outside of my house in fear that I will get sick, hear someone get sick or see it! People think I am crazy, maybe I am but it is taking over my life. I can't work because of it or go visit my family. I will delete people off fb if they complain about being sick.....like I am going to catch something off the computer lol It really sucks that I cant be normal. I took my kids out of school and now I am teaching them (hopefully to not be like me though) instead. That one was a smart move thankfully :) I hope you are better today!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever got about trying not to throw up was to imagine yourself sipping cool water. It seriously helps me so much.
  • cookiemonster4403
    Options
    Thanks guys. Felt better today :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I also have the same. It doesn't rule my life, perse, as I am not in contact with vomit a lot, but it really affects. E when it happens.