any new ideas for working out?

Options
I am not one to get on the floor to do anything just yet, so push ups and the like are not my thing. I'm more interested in a work out session that i can move aerobically but not have to do any up downs or whatnot. I don't want to kill myself just yet. any suggestions i can do anything as long as it's standing up..lol.

Thank you.

NO NEGATIVITY. please and thank you.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have never tried them but a lot of my friends on MFP like the Leslie Sansone DVDs. I believe it is mainly walking type stuff but you get a good workout and are upright!

http://www.walkathome.com/
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    as far as losing weight, walking is probably the best low impact thing you can do. Until you can physically move around a little better, that is what I would stick with.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Have you been introduced to Zumba yet? I am addicted to it. It combines Latin, hip hop and middle eastern dance styles for a high aerobic workout that can burn up to 1,000 cals an hour (for really intense sessions).

I started Zumba last June, when I plateaued at a 20 lb weight loss and couldn't get any smaller. I started taking classes once a week for a few months, then bumped it up to twice a week. In December, I became an instructor and bumped it up to three times a week. I'm now down 30 lbs and 4 dress sizes.

It is the MOST fun I have ever had exercising (I'm one who won't work out if I don't enjoy what I'm doing). I always leave feeling happy and relaxed.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

The Nerd
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It can also be modified for those who aren't ready for the full intensity workout. Just move the best you can, and if you can no longer talk, laugh or breathe regularly, then back it down.
  • swt0pie
    swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    try fitness blender on you tube..they are awesome workouts
  • bellaxept
    bellaxept Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i would try zumba, its really fun :)
  • tracy1971x5
    Options
    ive started by playing games with the kids on the wii .... and have added in some step on the wii too
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Zumba. it's fun you'll burn alot of calories. nothing but dancing
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lettie1955
    Options
    I am joining Curves, it worked for me in the past and it will again, 30 minutes to do the circuit, full body workout and stretching, easy but effective.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I have become a big fan of "bodysquats." Place your feet at around shoulders apart, kneel as low as you can, then come back up. I like to do sets of 10. They are great for your thighs and posterior (booty). The results can be amazing and its an area we all seem to need some work on.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Walking is always awesome. If you throw in some jumping jacks, or even walking up and down stairs gives you an added boost. You can walk/jog in place if you can't get outside. Zumba, Wii Country Dance is fun. Good luck!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell...check out some videos on you tube. No matter what your fitness level you can do it and it's a great all over body workout that icorporates strength and cardio!! And plain & simple....it's FUN!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Walking is really good. Once it becomes to easy for you add walking weights. And try to keep track of your time for the amount you walk. Then try to beat it .

Also I can't do traditional push ups right now due to a injury I suffered. So I do wall push ups. They still work my back and arms. Also reverse bench press is also good for that.

I haven't tried Zumba yet but want to so can't tell you about that. But if you don't have any exercise workout video yet and don't want to invest a lot I suggest looking at your resale shops. This is the type of year when everyone is "cleaning house" of exercise stuff and you can pick up stuff for a good price.
  • ShevelleBurr
    Options
    TurboJam omg soooo much fun its awesome =)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW & I started with getting FitBits and tracking how much we walk each day. For a while we just tried to get more and more steps in. Now we are starting our second week of Power 90 and I think that had we tried to go straight to Power 90, we would have burned out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree with Zumba. It's so much fun that you want to do it. If you choose classes over the DVDs or games there are many levels to choose from. If you go for the video games, you work your way up the levels. The DVDs just have one level and you just modify it to your level until you work up doing it all. There is not much jumping and nothing on the floor, at least in the DVDs.

Walking is great exercise also, and it's always good to get out on a nice day.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I recommend starting/trying incline push ups. can incline against steps, the couch any stable surface- even just lean against the wall. But if you DON'T start working your arms, they will get saggy & flabby as you lose and pushups DON'T get easier by NOT doing them.

Best advice I have is JUST DO IT. Do what you can & don't worry about what you can't do. But DON'T be afraid of floor exercise and I STRONGLY recommend YOGA. You will NEVER regret getting more flexible.
    Karen Voigt has a DVD called 'slim physique' which has a different workout for every day of the week - cardio, strength & flexibility (yoga) it is NOT high impact and VERY effective. I like it a lot & LOVE the results I'm getting. I got mine from Netflix but she has a web-site too.
    And I LOVE floor exercises- whenever the instructor says 'lie on your back' I'm like 'thank you, THANK YOU!' LOL
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Nike Training App... all kinds of diffrent workouts.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm definitely on the Zumba wagon... I feel healthier when I'm doing it regularly, I laugh more and my weight-loss spikes bigtime. I've been doing it on the Wii at home because I didn't want to get laughed at (although I've heard that's rarely an issue) but as soon as we finish moving halfway across the country I plan to start taking classes... I have them all lined out already!

I've heard from a lot of people that Zumba is the best exercise to do when you just aren't into exercise, and I agree completely. Not only is it a great exercise, but it's so fun it doesn't seem like a workout... and it doesn't matter how uncoordinated you are either (I'm proof of that!) because as long as you're enthusiastic and you keep trying you'll burn a TON of calories regardless of form =D

Good luck!