Visiting Boston - what to do??

Options
4mykids
4mykids Posts: 33 Member
My husband and I are going on a road trip in a few weeks - I can't wait!!! We are from Ontario, Canada, so we are going to Montreal, then Boston, then the Poconos, then back home.

Any must do's or must see's in Boston and area? I've read up a little on the Internet, but would love to hear from someone who lives there. We want to go to Cheers - just because - is the food good? Might have to slip up a little that day.

Thanks for any tips!!

Replies

• kbirky73
    kbirky73 Posts: 110
    Options
    OH MY GOSH .. THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO HERE!!

You could take the Fenway Park tour of the GREAT Boston Red Sox ...

I would recommend walking "The Freedom Traill" while you're visiting Cheers. I am from here, and I've NEVER eaten there, but i hear it's good. The Freedom trail is tons of walking though so you could worry so much less about all the yummy food you will have here in town.

When you get to Boston Common and get the map for the Freedom Trail, you'll cover so much history and end up at Quincy Market / Fanuel Hall.

The Duck Tours are good if you need some down time and to relax from walking everywhere.

Great museums .. it's really endless.

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Shut it Max!

Lets see, that depends on what you want to do, there's TONS of stuff to do.

The Aquarium is great for kids, as is the Museum of Science (gotta go to the Omni theater if you go, it's awesome!)

Ahh, there's the freedom trail, if you like US history.

You HAVE to go to Fanuel Hall, that's a trip for a first time tourist.

What else, oh, go see the constitution, that's very cool.

If you like sports then yeah, you can go to Fenway, it's a great area, very family friendly (but get tickets in advance, cuz they won't have any at the box office, and scalpers are well...scalpers and will really kill you with the prices)

There's so much to do in Boston, that's just a couple of things.
  • kbirky73
    Options
    Hey Banks .. long time no speak!!!

How goes it??? I had a feeling you would respond here too!!! LOL
  • kbirky73
    Options
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/

This will cover all major things!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    OH MY GOSH .. THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO HERE!!

You could take the Fenway Park tour of the GREAT Boston Red Sox ...

I would recommend walking "The Freedom Traill" while you're visiting Cheers. I am from here, and I've NEVER eaten there, but i hear it's good. The Freedom trail is tons of walking though so you could worry so much less about all the yummy food you will have here in town.

When you get to Boston Common and get the map for the Freedom Trail, you'll cover so much history and end up at Quincy Market / Fanuel Hall.

The Duck Tours are good if you need some down time and to relax from walking everywhere.

Great museums .. it's really endless.

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!

CHEERS!!! cheers is a rip off, don't go, it's not even where they really filmed the show. Bahh, better to go to the original Legal Seafoods, it's the only one where they still make a good clam chowder!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    While you're downtown, if you would like a SPECTACULAR view of the city, go to TOP OF THE HUB in the Prudential Building on the 52nd floor. It's pricey, but well worth it if you have funds for a drink and an appetizer. Especially at NIGHT!!! Very exciting.
  • kbirky73
    Options
    Ooooo . the Pru a DEF MUST SEE!!!!
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Def visit Newbury Street they have lots of shops and dining places.

Fanueil Place is great as well. Hey you could even take a Duck Tour.

Aww I sure miss my Birthplace! (617) All Day!!!
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    bump ... hope to go to Boston someday... :)
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There's a little cafe/book shop clled the Trianlgle Cafe on Newbury that is soooooooo good. They have a sandwich that is toasted with avocado and havarti w/ dill cheese and it is TO DIE FOR. I go there everytime I visit Boston! Plus I love bookstores so it is the perfect place for me and then tons of walking with fabulous shopping, Newbury is a must!:flowerforyou:
  • greenerme
    Options
    well the duck tours are cool.... but if you want to do something active you could rent a kayak / cannoe and paddle the charles... it is a great way to see the city from a different perspective...

hmmm. what else... Fanuel Hall is a must. The aquarium is great too... even if you don't have kids :wink: if you can get tickets to a sox game Fenway is a blast, plus you can take a tour before the game

have fun in our wicked fun city :bigsmile:
  • 4mykids
    4mykids Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks soooo much everybody!!!!

"CHEERS" - they didn't even film it there??? What a rip! Too bad! Might still go for the pic!

I've heard about the Freedom Trail, I'm sure we'll do that too. If Cheers is on the path, that's even better.

I was gonna ask about good seafood - that's what my hubby wants -- I will try it, I think. So it's called Legal Sea Foods.... I googled it, looks nice.

We're staying at the Fairmont Battery Wharf... are there any sea-side food vendors that are worth trying?

Thanks again everyone!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks soooo much everybody!!!!

"CHEERS" - they didn't even film it there??? What a rip! Too bad! Might still go for the pic!

I've heard about the Freedom Trail, I'm sure we'll do that too. If Cheers is on the path, that's even better.

I was gonna ask about good seafood - that's what my hubby wants -- I will try it, I think. So it's called Legal Sea Foods.... I googled it, looks nice.

We're staying at the Fairmont Battery Wharf... are there any sea-side food vendors that are worth trying?

Thanks again everyone!!!

lol, there's food every 10 yards in boston, most of it (near where you are) is pretty good. If you want great Italian, go to the North end though, there are some great little Italian places down there. Santarpio's is the best pizza in New England IMHO (although I hear there are some good ones in southwest Connecticut)
  • watermelon854
    Options
    Being a fellow Canadian, I spent my first time in Boston alone on a business trip and went to go the Boston Museum of Art.

It was beautiful, well rounded and will be of interest for any member of the family...weather they love ancient history, ancient Japanese swords, or awesome mummies! I spent a large cab fair but an enjoyable afternoon at one of the most extensive museums of the United States!

Oh! And the have a lot of sculptures of ancient Greece and Romans...Zeus, etc...amazing!

:glasses: