soup ideas please x

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
im starting to make my homemade soups, and im just looking for different ideas of what soups to make.. soo far i can think of carrot and coriander and leek and potato.. any other ideas? bare in mind i dont like chicken soup, tomato, mushrooms. :smile:

I dont need the recipes, ill go online for that as im making my own little recipe book for myself as i want to start eating more soup :smile:

Thanks in advanced! x

Replies

• lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like potato with Ham, or pea with ham. I also like cabbage, and tons of vegetables in a chicken broth, with some stewed tomatoes! You'r imagination is the limit with soups, just toss whatever in a pot, and go with it.
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    potato and leek

pea and ham

chunky vegetable soup

minestrone

onion soup
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Try that chicken taco soup.... it is wonderful and low cal :)
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash soup is delicious.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Beef Barley soup with vegetables, split pea and ham soup, ham and bean soup
  • Lorlei25
    Lorlei25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go to Cooking Light web site and find the stuffed cabbage soup recipe. I use ground turkey and brown rice, so filling, yummy and a calorie bargain.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have this book -> http://www.amazon.com/Covent-Garden-Soup-Companys-Soups/dp/075220503X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333983908&sr=8-2 and it's sequels which are stuffed full of great soup recipes but the three i go back to over and over again are all in the first book:
    - morrocan lemon chicken (maybe not for you if you don't like chicken but it really is wonderful & not at all like the nasty creamy chicken soup you tend to get in cans)
    - borscht (beetroot and red cabbage with a touch of vinegar)
    - russian vegetable (white cabbage/carrot/parsnip/carrot/potato/parley/nutmeg)

the covent garden soup company are a uk company that make a great, and ever changing, range of fresh soups you can get in most supermarkets.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    yum yum thanks all! :bigsmile:

ill go and find recipes for all of these now :)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Roast butternut squash

Sweet potato

Parsnip

Celeriac

Split pea and ham

Lentil and bacon

Black bean

Chinese chicken and noodle

... Pretty much anything can be made in to soup once you've mastered the basics!

(Agreed with the person above who mentioned the Covent Garden Soup Company - if you can get their cookbooks anywhere, definitely worth the money)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and horseradish is a current favourite of mine, a friend made it from one of the New Covent Garden Soup Company cookbooks, pretty much all of their soups are incredible... :)

EDIT - I see Covent Garden have already had a lot of mentions. This is because they not only produce the most amazing chilled soups, simply made from fresh ingredients with no additives of any kind, and sold in two portion cartons in supermarkets, but they were even smart enough to publish the recipes for those of us who can't afford to keep paying their prices! :bigsmile:

Check out eBay and abe.com for their second hand books, often to be found ludicrously cheaply. My two New Covent Garden cookbooks cost me less than $1 each, and they're packed full of interesting ideas! :)
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This one!!!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2089/spiced-carrot-and-lentil-soup

It's low fat but absolutely delicious and this is coming from a person who didn't think she even liked carrots. I've made it for quite a few people now and get showered with compliments on how good it tastes AND it's low fat!

Enjoy ;)