any new ideas for working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• minnielovesmickey
    minnielovesmickey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Anything that gets your heart pumping is great exercise. Walking is free, so it's a great choice to start with. Starting with a 30 min walk daily first thing in the morning if possible. After a week of walking you can incorporate a few minutes of jogging. Once your fitness levels increase you may want to add swimming lengths once a week. Just take it slowly, your body will lt you know how much exercise it can take. I joined the gym last year & have not been once.......Yet!!!
    Good luck
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely on the Zumba wagon... I feel healthier when I'm doing it regularly, I laugh more and my weight-loss spikes bigtime. I've been doing it on the Wii at home because I didn't want to get laughed at (although I've heard that's rarely an issue) but as soon as we finish moving halfway across the country I plan to start taking classes... I have them all lined out already!

I've heard from a lot of people that Zumba is the best exercise to do when you just aren't into exercise, and I agree completely. Not only is it a great exercise, but it's so fun it doesn't seem like a workout... and it doesn't matter how uncoordinated you are either (I'm proof of that!) because as long as you're enthusiastic and you keep trying you'll burn a TON of calories regardless of form =D

Good luck!

I definitely agree with the above comments. Nobody cares what you look like while doing the routines -- we're too busy trying to get our workout in to worry about others. However, we are a very supportive community (we refer to ourselves as the Zumba Nation). What makes it even better is that we are NOT all about the size 2 body status. Zumba is for EVERYONE, every body shape, etc.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Lots of great choices. Bottom line is to get in motion and increase that heart rate. Keep it simple and do not take in to much to soon and have fun..
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I joined a row club this weekend. It was social fun and fantastic 2 hours of vigorous upperbody workout.
  • chrissiepooh
    chrissiepooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm an uncoordinated person, it's not that i can't get on the floor, it's just I think there's a ton of more effective exercises out there that you can do upright that would benefit me before getting to the floor and doing up downs or push ups. right now i do the stationary bike (30 mins, resistance program 1-5, then 5-1 @ 14-16mph) so i do push myself. plus I do tabata which is 20 second intervals for 4 mins with 10 second breaks in between, I usually do crunches during this time, or jog in place. So I am moving...I just didn't know if there were any work out dvds that don't ask you to get on the floor while doing the program. Thank you all for your feed back.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner all my life so I'm going to recommend that first! I've never belonged to a gym...

Oh, and Jillian Michael's DVDs, 30 Day Shred....search the forums. Amazing results!
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    I recommend starting/trying incline push ups. can incline against steps, the couch any stable surface- even just lean against the wall. But if you DON'T start working your arms, they will get saggy & flabby as you lose and pushups DON'T get easier by NOT doing them.

Best advice I have is JUST DO IT. Do what you can & don't worry about what you can't do. But DON'T be afraid of floor exercise and I STRONGLY recommend YOGA. You will NEVER regret getting more flexible.
    Karen Voigt has a DVD called 'slim physique' which has a different workout for every day of the week - cardio, strength & flexibility (yoga) it is NOT high impact and VERY effective. I like it a lot & LOVE the results I'm getting. I got mine from Netflix but she has a web-site too.
    And I LOVE floor exercises- whenever the instructor says 'lie on your back' I'm like 'thank you, THANK YOU!' LOL

^^ This. Don't be afraid of getting on the floor. If you feel like you're an uncoordinated person, work on it, don't ignore it! Planks and push ups are extremely effective for your core. I remember a time when I hated push ups and couldn't even do two without giving up. You just got to grin and bear it, and watch yourself get stronger as time goes on.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Btw, everyone is uncoordinated at first....you should have seen me try salsa dancing for the first time...terrible lol. Do you think I could do it like some of the experts? No. But 1-2 years later, I am pretty good. I didn't have a time table for learning...just wanted to get better. Truth be told, 99.99% of it is staying under your calories....just add something like walking.

Biggest mistake is thinking we can "work our way" out of something that took years. It will take time. Day by day, build new habits. Slowly add exercise. Too fast (or too much!) and you'll become discouraged.

You have to be prepared for ups and downs. A bad day. Weight gain after a loss. Someone saying you look the same even if you know you're making progress. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on. Don't let one bad day ruin the next one...just keep going.