Help Motivate me! So much effort, so little results...

Options
:huh:

2.5 years post-baby and I'm still 10 lbs over my pre-baby weight, and 25 lbs over my ideal weight. And it is not for lack of trying. I exercise regularly, and maintain a net calorie intake of around 1200/ day. In fact, over the last several months I have trained for and completed a half-marathon race, with crosstraining on my non-run days. On average I run 10 to 15 miles a week. I have definitely built a lot more leg muscle (more lbs on the scale), but the belly fat is hanging on for dear life no matter what I do. I have lost only 7 lbs of the course of the last 6 months, and haven't lost a single dress size.

My son is 32 months and still breastfeeds (please no bashing, extended breastfeeding has myriads of documented benefits to children) at bedtime, sometimes if he wakes in the night or early in the morning, and more often if he is sick or hurt. I am 100% willing to deal with the personal sacrifice for his benefit. I gained weight the entire first year while he was exclusively breastfed (so much for the theory that breastfeeding melts away the pounds). Since then I have lost very little. I don't try to eat back the BFing calories since he really isn't eating that much anymore. I have never worked so hard for so little result before in my life! . Could it possibly be because of the continued breastfeeding? Pre-baby I never had any problem dropping a quick 10 or 15 just by upping my activity a little.

I have never had thyroid problems in my past, but haven't had it checked post-baby. Also, I'm 31 years old and a vegetarian (but I meet my protein requirement everyday).

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Not bashing the extended breastfeeding at all. I breast fed all three of mine, not that long, but I still did it, and it is great.

BUT, it may be part of the weight thing, too. I think my body held on to fat in certain places while I nursed. I think my body knew I needed that extra fat reserve for milk production and held on for dear life, particularly in the places I didn't want it. If you are committed to it, by all means, keep it up. Just give yourself a break on the body shaping until you are done. Then, you can see if it makes a difference. I think it will.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    I breast fed all 4 of mine.

What are you eating? I've learned starches, sugar & carbs are evil
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I already know what people are going to say...
    eat more.

1200 calories especially if you've been running marathons is too little.

right everyone?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    yep, eat more.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of fresh veggies. I probably eat more bread and pasta than most, but being a distance runner, I have to replace the glycogen in my muscles to prevent muscle fatigue (carb-loading). I can definitely tell a difference on my runs if I skimp on carbs, so that is a delicate balancing act. My protein sources are usually soy, beans, nuts, greens...
  • lillebanon
    Options
    1200 is my net. I eat back my exercise calories. So on a 600 calorie run day, I eat 1800.
  • sarafil
    Options
    would you open your food diary? That might help people make suggestions that could be helpful.
  • lillebanon
    Options
    Not bashing the extended breastfeeding at all. I breast fed all three of mine, not that long, but I still did it, and it is great.

BUT, it may be part of the weight thing, too. I think my body held on to fat in certain places while I nursed. I think my body knew I needed that extra fat reserve for milk production and held on for dear life, particularly in the places I didn't want it. If you are committed to it, by all means, keep it up. Just give yourself a break on the body shaping until you are done. Then, you can see if it makes a difference. I think it will.

I'm starting to feel like this HAS TO BE the "problem"... which is fine if it is (totally worth it, and it will eventually end)... but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something else.
  • sarafil
    Options
    What is your weight loss goal set to, that warrants 1200 calories? A pound a week? You don't have a lot to lose, 1200 calories net may not be realistic and helpful to your weight loss goals. I found I had much better success when I ate more than 1200. I realize you are eating back your exercise calories, but I still think 1200 is low.
  • sandy358888
    Options
    Less carbs and starches.. More veggies, particularly green ones as they target that belly. Good luck!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1200 is my net. I eat back my exercise calories. So on a 600 calorie run day, I eat 1800.

good then :)
  • revpsa
    revpsa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing everything right... Even if you are not making the progress you want, you are strong and healthy and doing what is good for your baby and your body. I do agree with conleyjmarie... maybe you need a high calorie day every once in a while. Hang in there and good luck!
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options

^^ this ^^ I support your BFing 100%. You said you have added muscle on the legs, that has probably moved the scales in the up direction, and overall, your body fat % (know as BF% here by the way) could be lower than pre-baby. It may not be that much fat on the belly but a bit of loose skin post-baby. Consider mixing it up on some non-run days by adding light strength training, dancing (if you like that), walk 10-30 mins per day with your child, pilates, etc.

Overall, you are most likely fitter than pre-baby and you and your toddler are both in great shape as a result of your decisions. Well done.

[edit:] increase calorie intake some days too. Compare notes with some other ladies on MFP that are as active as yourself. Lots of water if you aren't already doing so and I think if the scales don't move but you can then you are doing great !
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I also BF my so, and he's over 1 now too! No bashing at all. l also agree that the body holds on to some fat while breast feeding. I'm not a Dr, but the theory is that the extra fat is there to protect you while breast feeding for when the winter famine happens. You know, cave man days and all.

It might actually be that you need to eat more. You have your food diary locked down, so we can't see much. I also don't know all your stats. But "most" people need more than 1200 calories a day. MFP calculates 1200 as minimum calories to consume to ensure you get at least the bare minimum of vitamins and nutrients to exist. That being said, 1200 calorie diets are usually considered very low calorie and best used for extremely obese people and only for a short time. Since you sound like a very active person, even eating back your exercise calories might not be enough. Consider calculating your BMR, then adding calories for TDEE, then subtracting a percentage of that amount. I've read that people shouldn't really be eating less than their BMR anyway. Also consider switching to 1 lbs loss per week. 1 lbs = 3500 calories, so deduct only 3500 calories per week away from your TDEE x7. That kind of thing. Here's a link if you are interested...

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Your body might be holding on to weight because you may have unknowingly caused your body to react like a cave man in winter. Lots of people have success with breaking plateaus after upping thir calories. It might take a couple of weeks before you see results tho. Usually the body will gain *some* weight before upping the metabolism.

Good luck!

14839892.png
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I already know what people are going to say...
    eat more.

1200 calories especially if you've been running marathons is too little.

right everyone?

^^ This. :)
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It might very well be because of the breast feeding. Even though you only do it once or twice a day now, your body is still trying to stay ready to produce more. Once you've fully weaned your little one, it will be easier for the rest to come off. I just finished weaning my 15 month old in January, and since then I've lost another couple of pounds without even trying. So with all the effort you're putting in, it will melt off quickly I'm sure.

Good luck!
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is a "scary" story to read for me. I just had a baby and have been breastfeeding for 9 weeks now and have not lost a thing in 7 weeks... despite really watching what I eat and increased exercise. It does sound like you are doing everything right. I know that the liver increases cholesterol production during pregnancy and while breastfeeding so I think the body just might need those extra fats during this time. I guess it will be a while before I get into those pre-preggo clothes... these stubborn 15 pounds might be here to stay for a while. Best of luck to you!
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

uhhuh....but your still only NETTING 1200 cals. you should not eat below ur bmr. try upping to 1490 and see what happens. best of luck
  • Weighting4Happiness
    Options
    Breastfed all 4 of my children past 2 years as well... in fact my 3rd son also went to 32 months =)
    Never be ashamed of giving your child the best start in life! lol
  • Mayrag0205
    Mayrag0205 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had three girls and my little one is 11mos. I haven't been able to get back to my pre baby weight yet. I have about 15lbs left to go. I've done it before and it took time but it was done. I'm playing indoor soccer now too change up my running routine and I'm thinking about incorporating more ab exercise. P90X is pretty good for that but it is extreme and painful. I'm thinking about starting it up again. I couldn't do it before because of my C-section but I think my body has fully recovered now. Its always those last 10-15 lbs. your body refuses to shed! You can do it!!! :smile: