p90x question

Options
2»

Replies

• banji_scott
    Options
    Ya I really want to try PX90, but dont they require you to be able to do a pullup and a regular pushup? I only know how to do a girlie pushup if you will but IM SOOO READY TO GET TONED. Im at my ideal weight pretty much just lookin to get toned

109408.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Ya I really want to try PX90, but dont they require you to be able to do a pullup and a regular pushup? I only know how to do a girlie pushup if you will but IM SOOO READY TO GET TONED. Im at my ideal weight pretty much just lookin to get toned

109408.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans

You can do pushups on your knees. When you are able to knock 20 of them out try them standard to increase the intensity. Sometimes I fall back to doing them on my knees if I am wasted but want to push a few more out.

Most women cannot do a pull up going into p90x. You can do assisted pullups and negative pull ups to work towards being able to do a true unassisted pull up. If you have bands you can wrap the bands around something up above your head to mimick pull ups. They demonstrate that in the videos.

Let me say one more thing about the weight loss aspect. P90X is not a weight loss program BUT what P90X IS, is a fat loss program, a muscle toning/strengthening/building program, a metabolism building program, a flexibility enhancement program, a cardio respiratory enhancement program, a musculo-skeletal enchancement program, a psychological balance enhancement program, an life time educational program, an optimum fitness program for those who want to feel like a million dollars in both mind and body.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Well, I bought it. I am reading the materials and getting stuff set up. Aiming to start in Sept.
  • gibbygirl9
    Options
    I'm on week #7 of P90X and am definately seeing results. Not on the scale so much but I've lost over 12 inches so far. My strength and endurance has greatly improved. Believe me, first workout was Core Synergistics and I seriously cried after and said I will never be able to do this. Then tried again 2 weeks later. Now I'm addicted!! I love it!! No I'm not seeing results on the scale so much yet mostly because I'm not following the diet plan. I just started counting calories here and hopefully together I'll get back to where I was. Anyway...I love it and highly recommend it!!!!:wink:

96150.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yea - I am in the same boat. I started it. Got frustrated. Then re-started it 2 weeks later, and now I love it.

I am having trouble sticking to the diet plan. I always seem to go over on my carbs. But the recipes are great - when I have time to cook them. Before P90X I was cooking EVERYTHING in oil. Which I know is good fat, but too much of good fat is not always a good thing. This program has taught me different ways to cook and easy meals to make and take to work with me.

Has anyone out there seen results without adhering to the diet plan so strictly? I mean - I follow a pretty good program, eating clean and keeping my protein/carb/fat intake at about 50-40-30...

Any thoughts?
  • metalpalace
    Options
    You can still get some great results if you stray from the nutrition guide but the ones that get super ripped follow the guide to a T. You don't want to stray to far from the nutrition guide either because I know plenty of people who got super strong, super flexible, super fit but their appearance isnt what they had hoped it would be. First thing I ask them is "did you follow the nutrition guide?". It's a stupid question for me to ask but I do it to underline a point. Naturally the answer has always been, "No not really I kinda did my own thing with nutrition". I tell them to try out the 90 day program again but with the addition of the p90x nutrition guide and then they have the stellar appearance they have always wanted.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Also I may add, you MUST eat on this program because each exercise burns 600 calories. Each exercise everyday is an hour long and it is 6 days a week. You MUST MUST follow their diet plan.

Well, that's not exactly true. The one DVD that everyone says you'll burn UP TO 600 calories is Plyometrics.

Everyone burns different amounts. Personally, the most I've ever burnt on Plyo is 390. On the strength training ones, I'll burn maybe 250 (ish, give or take).

You'll need to use a heart rate monitor to get an idea of the amount of calories you're burning.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Also I may add, you MUST eat on this program because each exercise burns 600 calories. Each exercise everyday is an hour long and it is 6 days a week. You MUST MUST follow their diet plan.

Well, that's not exactly true. The one DVD that everyone says you'll burn UP TO 600 calories is Plyometrics.

Everyone burns different amounts. Personally, the most I've ever burnt on Plyo is 390. On the strength training ones, I'll burn maybe 250 (ish, give or take).

You'll need to use a heart rate monitor to get an idea of the amount of calories you're burning.

Don't worry about the per workout calorie burn. What's more important is that you are building lean muscle mass, which burns more fat and calories 24/7. You also have to consider the after-burn; weight training continues to burn calories for up to 36 hours after the workout.

So when you take these things into account, each workout does burn about 600 calories and then some.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Any anaerobic musculo-skeletal workout will cause an "after burn" that lasts a couple of days. That's not including the calories used up by the muscle you add to your frame. But still, if you want the best results possible you have to follow the nutrition guide.
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I doubted it when I heard that you were actually burning 600 calroies. I usually have to go on a hard run for about an hour to burn that much. So I never really counted that many anyway.

I usually do about an hour of cardio during the day and then the P90X workout at night. So I make sure I burn a ton.

Thanks for the help with the diet. I know I should be more strict and just stick to it. I gave up all alcohol, soda, candy, ice cream, etc and am just filling my fridge with lean proteins and good carbs...

I was hoping that would be enough to do the trick, but I haven't seen a big difference so far...but it's only been about a week.

What happens if you miss an exercise? Are there certain ones you can double up on some days? Like Yoga and a weight lifting one? Haven't done it yet, but my schedule is about to get crazy and I'm just wondering. Thanks!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Well, I bought it. I am reading the materials and getting stuff set up. Aiming to start in Sept.

Reading through the material is kinda like foreplay! You still have the main act to look forward to :laugh:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am progressing. Did most of the fit test last night - could not do pull part because I have to modify my house for the pull up bar :laugh: , have to schedule a body fat test and find my other 10 lb weight for the bicep curl test. I passed all the others easily so I am starting the first workout tonight. A bunch of my friends are waiting for a review cause they have heard about it too.