Cruise Eating

Options
sunnmuun
sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
I'm being taken on a 5-day cruise by my son at the end of the month. I don't want to go crazy with the eating but I want to also not be crazy about watching everything I eat...any suggestions?

Replies

• jeephipwr
    jeephipwr Posts: 20
    Options
    I went on a 5 day cruise in late February, gained 5 pounds but lost them the next week. I think mine was alcohol based.

I stayed away from breads, desserts, and focused on meats, seafood, fruits and veggies. The rest of the folks that went with me gained atleast 10 pounds each, so I feel good about mine.

They do have a gym and walking track on the cruise so there is another option for you. Burn off more so you can eat more
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    They do have a gym and walking track on the cruise so there is another option for you. Burn off more so you can eat more

This!!!

JM
  • TimN1974
    TimN1974 Posts: 32
    Options
    "They do have a gym and walking track on the cruise so there is another option for you. Burn off more so you can eat more "

Definitly this! My wife and I go on a cruise every other year. Early morning and after lunch walks on the track (take a hooded jacket!) are quiet times. Bring your MP3 player and enjoy the views.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The last cruise I went on, they offered lower calorie options with every meal. They listed the breakdown of everything so you had an idea of the calories, fat, carbs, sodium and all that fun stuff. I would try to eat two meals a day off that list, then slurge once a day. Also, did as many calorie burning activites during the day to make up for it. That's the thing about crusies, you have the options and control to made them as active, or as inactive as you like.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Portions portions portions. Just don't fill up till you have to poop/throw up! :)
  • cmel6334
    cmel6334 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I took a cruise last year and was worried about that too. My wife and I took the stairs instead of the elevators. I also went to the gym almost daily. I gained around 8lbs for the week but it came right back off within a week of non daily drinking.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on my cruise. I got up early everyday and walked the track and 3 out of those days added in weights at the gym. Then I would do a light breakfast on the deck, usually some fresh fruit and some yogurt, then I was always in port during the afternoon so we never ate lunch, and then I'd have a full dinner including dessert. When I got home I had lost about 4 lbs. It's easy to not gain on a cruise, as long as you aren't going crazy and I had dessert every single night, but we were very active doing excursions and just managed to keep it in control. I also didn't get drunk every day. I drank in moderation.

You can do it. I just went to Hawaii in September and same thing, I think I ate one real meal a day and just had granola bars or yogurt during the day when I felt a little hungry and we walked everywhere and did tons of excursions. So even though we didn't "hit the gym" in Hawaii, I didn't gain weight then either.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are taking an eleven day cruise in June to the Greek Isles, Venice, Naples and Turkey. I'm EXTREMELY worried because in the past I always gain on vacation. My plan is to get a good workout in early in the day EVERYDAY and use real moderation 2 out of my 3 meals a day and portion control on the 3rd meal. I also don't want to drink my calories but that's just me. So, I'll stick to water.

I don't know if it will work but I know that if you fail to plan you plan to fail. You're definitely taking the right attitude to figure out a plan in advance.

Good Luck!
  • nay1228
    nay1228 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The last cruise I went on, they offered lower calorie options with every meal. They listed the breakdown of everything so you had an idea of the calories, fat, carbs, sodium and all that fun stuff. I would try to eat two meals a day off that list, then slurge once a day. Also, did as many calorie burning activites during the day to make up for it. That's the thing about crusies, you have the options and control to made them as active, or as inactive as you like.

This! We were on a cruise in early Nov. I was pleasantly surprised by how many healthy options were available! While I didn't always stick with them, I only gained 2 lbs after a 7 day cruise.

I hope you have a fabulous time!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a 7 day cruise and didn't gain any weight. It was mostly portion control and the selection of food was really good. I basically ate what I wanted but just in moderation. I also was controlled on alcohol consumption (maybe 2 / day). The ship had a nice fitness facility but I didn't use. I think that walking back and forth on the ship really help burn some calories.
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your good advice!! :flowerforyou:
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would say if you tend to over-eat, in terms of quantity, avoid the buffet for as many meals as possible. I didn't find this difficult, because the quality of the buffet food is cafeteria at best, and it gets old. The portions and options in the dining room are much more reasonable. I know it's hard to throw on some clothes over your bathing suit when you just want to lounge-about, but it's worth it. And you don't feel like you are at a food trough with 1,300 other people.
    Don't get the fruity blended mixed drink specials. There have been plenty of posts on here about lower calories/sugar drink options--check those out.
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    Use the Gym, stay away from the midnight buffets and drink bottle water!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Use the Gym, stay away from the midnight buffets and drink bottle water!

This!

We took a 24 pack of water and I drank lots of it every day.
    We also knew the food at the buffet would be cafeteria quality but tried on the first day to make sure. By doing this we completely avoided for the rest of the cruise and just ate the main dining room.
    I agree with the other poster about the alcoholic beverages. I didn't have any of the slushy type drinks and stuck to what I know I like Rum and Coke and Comos (vodka, triple sec, splash of cranberry).