Diet Pills?

Options

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Don't always trust your doctor, either. Doctors have very little clinical hour training in nutrition and diet. The best people to listen to are nutritionists, dieticians and pharmacologists.

If I'm having an adverse reaction to a pill, I will be calling my pharmacist first, my doctor second.

Bear in mind that doctors make money from pushing certain pills to their patients. If a doctor is going to profit from a patient's 6 month prescription for diet pills, why would they be motivated to push a healthier eating lifestyle on their patients?

My doctor recommended I go on sleeping pills. I did, for about three years, until I started exercising and eating right. My insomnia was cured by changing my eating habits and exercise habits. I haven't needed my pills in over a year now.

I love my doctor, but the health of my body is more important than the thought of putting chemicals into my body to chemically change my metabolism instead of doing what it takes to get my metabolism to naturally change on its own.

Since I'm in the military and so is my doctor, he receives no financial incentive from drug companies or the like. AND he has to abide by a much stricter set of rules than civilian doctors since many things that are allowed for civilians are not allowed for military members. Just because you don't trust YOUR doctor doesn't mean all of them are uneducated in these matters. If people are going to the doctor specifically regarding these issues, it's often to a doctor who specializes in them.

I trust my doctor, who is wonderful and very responsive and attentive. I recently had a health scare that turned out to be nothing, and she was wonderful with me. What I don't trust are the pharmaceutical companies that push their products onto people without enough long lasting studies to prove their efficacy. Look at phenphen, and all the other diet pills that have since been taken off the market due to adverse effects, like stroke and sudden heart attacks. Why take the risk when proper eating and exercise has been proven again and again to be the best way to improve one's health?

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their lives. I'm just saying that I'd rather go about change in ways that don't involve paying for a bunch of risky chemicals that alter my metabolism, when I know I can do it by making some permanent, risk free changes to what I do and eat.
  • norse1965
    norse1965 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I took Phen Fen back in the day.. It worked well, while I was taking it.. Once you go off, you gain the weight back. Plus ever since, all my docs have been worried about my heart. All is OK but I wouldn't take any diet pills again.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The one bad thing about the diet pills is you can feel depressed when you come off of them because it does affect some of the feel-good chemicals in the brain. I have seen it many times. Just so ya know.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    The one bad thing about the diet pills is you can feel depressed when you come off of them because it does affect some of the feel-good chemicals in the brain. I have seen it many times. Just so ya know.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe diet pills and antidepressants have some similar chemical qualities. I bet they both mess with the seratonin or dopamine levels in the brain. So does dark chocolate, but it's been proven to be good for the heart. That's all I needed to hear to allow myself to moderately indulge.
  • saraa281
    saraa281 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello :) I work for a pain mgmt/weight loss clinic and we prescribe phentermine. I took them a couple years ago and lost about 30 lbs but I had severe side effects like irritibility and heart palpitations. They made me want to smoke a lot as well. As soon as I quit taking them all the weight came back. I do not recommend them because they will change your personality :( Do the old fashioned way! Eat less and work out more or try natural things :)
  • lisasjen
    lisasjen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet pills. I took them all when I was in college but I would never even consider taking them again. Overall they just make me feel bad, really bad.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Another bad thing about diet pills is that it doesn't teach you how to eat properly. Which means, after you lose the weight, your old eating habits will return. You remember those, there the ones that caused you to gain the weight in the first place.

boom.
  • cvgamb
    cvgamb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    According to weight watchers for someone 5'3" your weight should be anywhere between 113 and 141lbs.
  • Kudos7
    Kudos7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was taking Hydroxycut Max for women and so far it was the most effective for me and without side effects.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I talked to a couple people who were on stimulants (either diet pills or ADHD meds) and when they came off their depression got much worse or they felt very low energy. It stimulates the dop. and the sero. for sure.... As I always say "what goes up must come down!" Hence my problem with coffee!
  • ShevelleBurr
    Options
    What a lot of people will not understand or won't take the time to try to learn, is that Phentermine is a PRESCRIPTION medication. It is something that you and your doctor discuss and decide upon together, and you are under the supervision of a doctor while you are taking it. If you and your doctor decided that this is the best way to go for the goals and issues you have in your life, don't listen to other people. It's not a "diet pill" you randomly picked up at GNC.

I've been on it for about a month and after the first 1-2 weeks the side effects have subsided almost completely. It gives me energy and curbs appetitie, but yes, it is a TOOL to use. It is not a miracle that will permanently remove weight from you while you continue to eat whatever you want and not work out. It is supposed to be something to help you while you learn better lifestyle habits. As long as you go into it with open eyes, and really are honest with yourself about what you need to work on, it will be helpful. For me, I've had several injuries in the last year, the worst of which was fracturing my spine in a car accident. It was hard to even walk for a long time and some of the weight I lost came back with a vengance. Carrying extra weight makes it even more painful to try to work out with an injury. Hence, my doctor suggested this medication to assist me getting back on track. But he knows that I'm not trying to use this as a "magic bullet" so to speak. I'm using it to try to get back on track. I run 10 miles a week, command PT three times a week, Jillian Michaels DVD's 3 times a week, softball team...etc. It's a weight loss AID. Just make sure you use it as such.

And tell the haters to shove it haha.

Just make sure you are eating enough when you first start using this. You won't realize you're hungry. Eat anyway when you know you need to. And if you have to take any drug tests for work make sure they know about this med. It will fail you on a drug test.

Thank you for that =) Its crazy how people can think we are drug users when we say we are takin a kind of diet pill.. sorry to hear bout ur accident =/ Wish you the best of luck =)
  • ShevelleBurr
    Options
    I tried those pills last year, under a doctors supervision, and yes they curbed my appetite to where I did not want to eat ANYTHING, which was not healthy. My biggest problem with them was that they threw me into horrible panic attacks. I talked to my doctor and she then prescribed a mild low dose anti depressant, which was suppose to counter act with them giving me panic attacks. It didn't really help and I just did not want to be mixing medicine and being so zapped out by them. I decided that it just wasn't worth it for me to trade the kick start of the diet pills for the awful panic attacks I got. I stopped taking them and decided I would have to get tough and do it on my own!

Thing about the pill and my dr told me about it is that it duz curb ur appetite but you have to eat and im not havin a hard time eating I eat just enough maybe a lil under what I should b eating but im not starving my self.. as for panic attacks I dont have an issue with that. Ive been takin them for almost two n a half weeks now.. lost 13 lbs all together so far and Im counting my calories and working out. Im thankfull for this pill im takin as it is helping me stay undepressed as i was when I was just gettin fatter n fatter.. its not like im sittin on my lazy butt takin the pills n not eating anything.. Im doin this the right way..

Each pill is different for everyone this one is recommended by my dr knowing my issues and things like that.
  • ShevelleBurr
    Options
    What a lot of people will not understand or won't take the time to try to learn, is that Phentermine is a PRESCRIPTION medication. It is something that you and your doctor discuss and decide upon together, and you are under the supervision of a doctor while you are taking it. If you and your doctor decided that this is the best way to go for the goals and issues you have in your life, don't listen to other people.

A million times this.

I love how everyone on the internet thinks they know what is better for me than my doctor does. :noway:

+1 on that =p *high five*
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Too bad that medication doesn't teach you proper eating and exercise habits.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with doing it the good ol' fashioned way? Having a bit of will power. Eating healthy foods

Which incidentally, is actually the healthiest way.

Diet pills don't teach you to eat healthy. They simply prevent you from feeling hungry. Whats to stop you from going back to the crappy eating once you've finished taking them?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered previously.
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    OxyElite Pro =)
  • booshay71
    booshay71 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have tried them and they work great. But once you no longer take them the weight comes back fast.

Q. So, if they work great why does the weight come back?

A. Because they're a band-aid, they may suppress appetite in the short term but they can't be used indefinitely and when the user reverts to old habits....

Eat better, move more forget pills.
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    I'm not really taking diet pills, but i am taking this 30 day supply of Physio-Burn i got from GNC, i'm still not convinced that any of these supplements are any good for anything. but i'd hope that half way through this supply i will notice a difference.
  • ShevelleBurr
    Options
    Too bad that medication doesn't teach you proper eating and exercise habits.

No it don't but with some people *points to self* when they take a pill like that and your doctor says ok u can take thez but make sure to exercise and eat x amount of calories n you LISTEN to them n do it the right way you can keep the weight off after you stop the pills some people cant lose it easy, some need more help. Now if u stop exercising and eat crazy after you stop the pill then yea you will gain it back.. blah no one ever gets it.. But im glad I posted this because people can say what they think and ive learned lots with just this one post =) thanks everyone for all ur input i take the good and the bad it all helps =)
  • danaelizas
    danaelizas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Diet pills are a temporary fix and in the long run you end up gaining more weight than what you started out with. You must feed ur body-add fuel to it so that your metabolism functions properly. I will add you as a friend! We can keep each other motivated. :)