What is a good technique for increasing speed while running?

Options
Just need some advice on how I can increase my running time..right now averaging 12 min. mile and I would like to get down to a 10 min. mile.

Replies

• rjbalcer
    rjbalcer Posts: 57
    Options
    Bump
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Running more frequently. The more you run, the more your body will adjust. Also weight train.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    one thing you can do is work in a sprint day into your running. My personal favorite is to take my 9 and 12 year old out for a run with me. We will "race" to a specific place (telephone pole, mail box) then walk just a bit to catch our (my) breath. They always beat me but it makes me run hard for a bit. Repeat this for as long as you would normally be out running.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    SPRINTING!!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Add more mileage and speed will come eventually.
  • smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try shortening your distance and increase your pace. A lot of athletes do this inorder to get faster. If you are only running a couple miles at a time, then try a tempo run. Jog 30 seconds normal pace, then run at a faster pace for 30 seconds. Repeat this through your entire run. I try to keep the times that same that way I can use the timer on my watch. After a few weeks, you will get used to the faster pace. I improved my pace from 10:30 to 8:30 over 3 to 4 miles using this method. Although, I am also sure cutting weight helpped me as well.

Good Luck!
  • tinamarie204
    Options
    Intervals...I think its called Farlek (?)...alternate between fast pace and a slower pace until you can stay at a faster, steady pace.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hills. They suck, but you'll get faster.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Run more frequently. Add little 15-30 second bursts of sprinting in where you can.
    Add weights (ankel, waist, or hand) -something that straps to you.
    Do sprint/walk intervals.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you as I am newer to running and I am just trying to increase my distance for now. I'm almost up to 2 miles, trying to get ready for a 5k. But today at the end of my run I decided to just bust it out and turn the treadmill up to 6.5mph (I also run at 5mph usually) and run like zombies were chasing me. After about 45 SECONDS I decided the zombies could catch me and eat me if they wanted because I am not ready for that kind of speed yet!!! If you find something that works for you, let me know! Once I get the distance down I might try some hill work...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    HIIT!
  • rjbalcer
    Options
    Thank you all !!!
  • rjbalcer
    Options
    No hills around here...flat OHIO...so on treadmill what incline?
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Check out runnersworld.com - they have lots of articles on speed training - there's several different etchniques that you use and alternate - tempo runs, intervals, fartleks, hills, etc... and all do something slightly different to improve your speed. Also, weight training can help. I run 5Ks and started at a 12 min/mile pace, and have gotten down to a sub-10 minute, so it's definitely doable.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    move legs faster
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Treadmill intervals, that way I can tell just how fast I'm going.

I increased a bunch from 10:00 MPM to 9:13 in my last half marathon using the book Run Less Run Faster.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on the runnersworld recommendation.

There are lot's of things you can do (even if a flat area). I'm still not fast but found that interval training works wonders (it can be a simple as running harder the distance between a couple of telephone poles) , track repeats, tempo runs etc.

What kind of distance are you shooting for?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When you want to run faster, train faster.

What I do is focus more on edurance for longer runs, so I go more slowly at a pace that's around 11:30min/mile. When I do shorter distances, though, I focus on faster speeds, since I don't have to worry about going for so long. So my two mile runs are usually around 10:30 min/mile (or faster), yet my longer runs, anything 4 miles and over, are around 11:30ish.

I also do sprint days, where I'll go to a track, and run sprints for a given distance (like a quarter mile), then jog for a quarter mile, for about 2 miles or so. Depends.

Also, HILLS. They suck, but they give you great endurance, and really work your aerobic muscle fibers.
  • rjbalcer
    Options
    +1 on the runnersworld recommendation.

There are lot's of things you can do (even if a flat area). I'm still not fast but found that interval training works wonders (it can be a simple as running harder the distance between a couple of telephone poles) , track repeats, tempo runs etc.

What kind of distance are you shooting for?
    Not focusing on distance yet just trying for faster speed...currently running 3 miles 2-3x week.