Hungry all the time...help

Options
Hi,

I just started counting my calories and trying to eat better. But the problem is I will eat good for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and then be so hungry 30 min after a meal that I eat all kinds of things in between. Salads and cereals just dont fill me up...what kinds of snacks do you eat or how do you stay full in between meals?

Thanks so much

Replies

• carp12310
    carp12310 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just started counting my calories and trying to eat better. But the problem is I will eat good for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and then be so hungry 30 min after a meal that I eat all kinds of things in between. Salads and cereals just dont fill me up...what kinds of snacks do you eat or how do you stay full in between meals?

Thanks so much
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Snacks high in fiber fill me up. Aside from other health benefits, high fiber snacks aid in weight loss:

Aids in weight loss. High-fiber foods generally require more chewing time, which gives your body time to register when you're no longer hungry, so you're less likely to overeat. Also, a high-fiber diet tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time. And high-fiber diets also tend to be less "energy dense," which means they have fewer calories for the same volume of food.
    (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033)

Baby Carrots
    Any type of roughage
    Nuts/Seeds
    Beans
    Fruits (strawberries are excellent this time of year)
    Whole Grains

They keep me on track and keep me fuller longer!
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to try to curb hunger is to eat less more often.

I eat the following:

9 am - breakfast
    11 am - snack (usually fruit)
    1230 - veggies
    100 - lunch (soup or frozen dinner usually)
    330 - snack (usually yogurt)
    630 - dinner
    900 - snack (usually popcorn)

Also, if I know i'm going to work out, I'll eat a few more snacks... I like to always be eating, so this helps me a lot.

Hope it helps you!
  • ophedian
    ophedian Posts: 78
    Options
    I am also doing what Jill is doing..

6am - Breakfast
    10am - Garden Vegetable Medley
    12 pm - lunch
    2 pm - Garden Vegetable Medley
    5pm - Dinner
    9pm - protein shake [lasts all night long]
  • ednaratliff
    Options
    I have the same problem. I try to eat lean protein at each meal and with every snack. Egg white omelets stick with me alot longer than cereal. I try to eat about 3 oz. of protein with each meal and lots of high fiber foods. Hope this helps Dena
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    protein curbs my food cravings.

I have a half shake in the bfast
    Turkey/ nuts at lunch
    protein bar before gym
    broetin bar (different brand) for my sweet tooth
    Other half of the shake before bed.

Protein helps me recover from lifting and keeps me full for a longer period of time.

Also green tea.
  • carp12310
    carp12310 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I will try to add some protein and high fiber foods and see what works best.... I am such a snacker and I seem to have no will power.... I need find some things that I like to eat but that fill me up like you suggested. I have a horrible sweet tooth to so I have to figure out what to do about that too :-)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    here, read this from the mayo clinic, it should help.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/NU00195
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    I am a stay-at-home mom and find myself in the car most of the day driving to and from sports for three children. I, inevitably, get hungry during one of the many journeys. I always keep a little basket of snacks in the car. In my basket you will find unsalted cashews, bananas, apples, ziploc bags with 1 serving of bite size whole grain mini wheats, and whole grain carmel corn rice cakes. The challenge is just to eat 1 snack, or whatever you have the calories for, to tide you over until you eat your next meal. I also always keep a couple of extra bottles of water in the car. At home, my absolute favorite thing is to cut up a cucumber...yes, almost a whole one and spread hummus on them. I make little hummus and cucumber "sandwiches" Hummus is really low in fat and only has 50 calories to 2 T. but it is so high in fiber and protein that he keeps me full for a very long time. You can put hummus on low-salt pretzels as well....but that really boosts the calories!

Just some suggestions. Hope they work for you!