Marathoning for mortals..

Options
I can't remember who or where, but about a week ago I read a comment, in a thread about running, recommending this book for new runners, "Marathoning For Mortals" by John "The Penguin" Bingham. Whoever you are....thank you so much!! I ordered the book that day and read it over the next couple of days. I discovered some things I was doing wrong, found encouragement to keep training, and had the best 5 mile interval run ever this past Saturday! Seriously, I was so discouraged and on the verge of giving up when I got the book. Now I am so excited again about running!!! So thank you!!!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It wasn't me - but I enjoyed that book as well. I also found a lot of useful information in The Non Runner's Guide to Marathon Training.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's great! Happy running.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I might have to track down a copy of that... I ran my first 20 mile training run on saterday and it was 40 degrees, raining and windy as hell. took me 4 hours and 15 minutes. Very depressing as I am training for a 30 mile run in 3 weeks. at this pace its going to take me all day to complete it.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I may have to look for a copy myself. Thanks for sharing!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The Marathon is totally doable - keep at it - I did one a few years ago when I got down to my goal weight. Since then I joined the Peace Corps and gained it all back. But I am making progress, but I just started running again this past week. It's not half as bad as you think it would be. Just go slow and don't worry about anyone else except you and the road. Enjoy!
  • runnermomlisa
    Options
    Great job! Don't be so hard on yourself. It's still better than sitting on the couch :smile:
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Too funny. I just ran my first 10 mile run this weekend - training for a half-marathon in 4 weeks. I ran it in 2 hrs 7 minutes and was thrilled!! Exact same per mile time as you but I'm excited and you're discouraged. I can't wait until this time frustrates me too!
  • Vernswifevickie
    Vernswifevickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I might have to track down a copy of that... I ran my first 20 mile training run on saterday and it was 40 degrees, raining and windy as hell. took me 4 hours and 15 minutes. Very depressing as I am training for a 30 mile run in 3 weeks. at this pace its going to take me all day to complete it.

Do get the book...you will be so encouraged by it! And....you ran 20 miles!!! Think about that. It may not have been as fast as you would have liked but you completed 20 stinkin miles!!! Congratulations!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Not to steal the thunder from this thread, but I would be pleased if any other endurance runners that come on this thread would add me as a friend just for some mental support.