Not losing but I think I'm doing things right. Help me!!!!

Options
I gave up my scale for Lent and got it back yesterday. Through research on BMR and TDEE I figured out that my calorie limit should be around 1500 to lose weight. Since I had given up my scale I set it to 1430, which was upping my calories, and thought I would be safe.

I workout 2-3 times a week burning over 300 calories each time (I either run on the treadmill at a 4.9 or do the gym's circuit room that alternates weights and cardio). I'm going to start strength training but wanted to get some advice on what I might be doing wrong.

I do have "treats" but always make sure they are within my calorie limit and I do eat out but, again, keep within my limits. I allow myself 1 cheat meal a month or so but that's it. I drink 10+ glasses of water during the week and am still working on getting water intake higher on weekends.

During Lent I fully expected to lose 3-5 lbs since I was religious (no pun intended) with my food and exercise. Just because I gave up my scale doesn't mean I gave up my logging or healthy eating. I ONLY LOST 1.2 LBS. I'm at a total loss. What am I doing wrong!??!?! This was over a 46 day period of time and even if I was a little high on sodium or other macros a few times that shouldn't account for no loss over the whole time period. (My clothes do fit better and I know I'm healthier but I'm not anywhere near a healthy weight yet so as much as I like shrinking in size, I want the scale to go down).

Please help me!!!

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Anyone?!?!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What did you calculate as your TDEE? You might be too aggressive on your weight loss.
  • dlyeates
    Options
    My TDEE is calculate at 2325 for Moderate Exercise ( 3-5 days/week). I also recalculated it at 2060 for Light Exercise (1-3 days/week) but I didn't use this because I think I'm more on the moderate side. My BMR is 1504.35.

Is 1400 too low and is that why I'm not losing?!?!
  • bjuergens9
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more that fat...I would focus more on how your clothes are fitting than what the scales says. Keep up the good work and the scale will go down. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is calculate at 2325 for Moderate Exercise ( 3-5 days/week). I also recalculated it at 2060 for Light Exercise (1-3 days/week) but I didn't use this because I think I'm more on the moderate side. My BMR is 1504.35.

Yes, you should eat more. If your BMR is 1504, shoot for around 1700-1800. You shouldn't eat below your BMR ever, and since you are so close to your goal weight (within 25 lbs) you cannot afford much of a deficit at all. No wonder you stalled!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes, you should eat more. If your BMR is 1504, shoot for around 1700-1800. You shouldn't eat below your BMR ever, and since you are so close to your goal weight (within 25 lbs) you cannot afford much of a deficit at all. No wonder you stalled!

This. You need to eat more as you approach your goal. I would aim for 1800 calories a day. And if you aren't strength training, you should start.
  • LittleSimoni
    Options
    Yes, you are exercising so that will help. Try to take a weight class or do more weights; it helps! You'll really notice a difference when your clothes start to fit better and are looser. Hang it there, I feel the pain, as it took me a month to lose a pound before! Don't give up, keep faith! It will come off, it will happen. Don't beat yourself up, I've done that and no good will come of it. :)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Give it time...watch your sodium intake and make sure you're accurate with portion sizes on what you do eat. Hang in there, if you haven't weighed in for this long, you might even just be retaining water right now (from sodium, time of month, etc), and maybe you're actually down more than you think. Once you're weighing in at the same time every day or week, you can expect to track any trends more effectively.
  • hindiskinny
    Options
    136796907401564809_LbykgSqq_f.jpg
    A pound is a pound, stay motivated this isn't a race!
  • goodigirl2
    goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you with very similar BMR and TDEE. But I'm scared ****less to eat more calories!! I guess I have to get over it and experiement for a few weeks to see if it works. But my fear is that because I have lost weight (just VERYYYY SLOWLY) at 1500 calories, and then gained when I've gone slightly over that for a couple of days (mabye 1600-1750) that I'll gain even more if I up my allotment. I will be interested to hear more from you on your progress!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    It looks like what you have calculated then is what you need to eat for maintenance. I calculated mine for maintenance and it's 1420.
  • dlyeates
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know what you are saying about eating more but I'm TERRIFIED to eat that many calories. I think I acutally went pale at the suggestion of 1700-1800 calories. I know its true but I'm really worried about gaining. I know I have issues.

I'm pretty sure that my TDEE would be mainenance calories (which scares me even more) so that's why I thought 1500 would be good. But maybe you all are right.

I'm too scared right now to up it that high but I will be starting with a trainer maybe this week or next week to develop a strength training routine and I just got the book "The new rules of lifting for women" and I'm going to read that and incorporate that into my routine. The fear is overwhelming though and the fact that I only lost 1 lb on this makes me more nervous to add even more calories!!!

And the picture of the fat is just gross.....but so true. Thanks everyone. Any other ideas?!? Totally open!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know what you are saying about eating more but I'm TERRIFIED to eat that many calories. I think I acutally went pale at the suggestion of 1700-1800 calories. I know its true but I'm really worried about gaining. I know I have issues.

I'm pretty sure that my TDEE would be mainenance calories (which scares me even more) so that's why I thought 1500 would be good. But maybe you all are right.

I'm too scared right now to up it that high but I will be starting with a trainer maybe this week or next week to develop a strength training routine and I just got the book "The new rules of lifting for women" and I'm going to read that and incorporate that into my routine. The fear is overwhelming though and the fact that I only lost 1 lb on this makes me more nervous to add even more calories!!!

And the picture of the fat is just gross.....but so true. Thanks everyone. Any other ideas?!? Totally open!!!

If you want to lose weight, then you need to fuel the fire. Also keep in mind that you need to eat 3500 calories over your TDEE (or 500 calories a day) to gain a pound of fat. So you would need to eat 2800 calories a day for a week to gain fat. But until you are ready to do things right, then you will be stuck.

BTW, below is a response I got from one of the people I work with. She is 36 yr old, 154 lbs, 5'5" i believe and was only do weight training for 12 weeks. She was eating 2100 calories on ST days and 1800 calories on non ST days. Below is her response.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"