Spaghetti question

Options
I was thinking about having spaghetti for dinner tonight. I grab the box of Creamette thin spaghetti and it says the serving size in 2oz dry. I know that 2 oz of liquid in 1/4th cup. Is that the same in this case? Would I only get 1/4 cup of cook spaghetti?

I have never been good at measuring food.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Usually if you check the box, it'll say something like 1/7th of box is a serving. If not, you can do the math by seeing how many ounces it is dry. I know for instance barilla whole wheat is 7 servings, so I make a full box and then separate into 7 portions.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I once asked this and was told that 2 ounces dry nets 8 ounces cooked. You might want to double check that though.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    pasta doubles when cooked
  • proctor0828
    Options
    pasta doubles when cooked
    agree it doubles when cooked
  • Kamille84
    Options
    I do the same thing as msarro. I check to see how many servings are in the package and divide them into that many portions.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale for $20 :tongue: .
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    i would say that sparghetti coocked in water isnt the food with most callories arround there, i would say that's even very healthy. there's also a dark sparghetti made with integral cereals and that's even better! i would recomend sparghetti in a diet! :)
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I got one as a wedding present and I love having it. Wonderful to have in the kitchen. The one I have is from Target and it sells on their website for about $25.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    It's 2oz of weight dry not volume. 2 oz of dry pasta generally (depending on the type of noodle) equates to 1c of volume when cooked.
  • Mizzbehaven
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I often wonder why the label can't say both. 2 oz dry and 1 cup cooked. It would make things so much easier for people like me. :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    i would say that sparghetti coocked in water isnt the food with most callories arround there, i would say that's even very healthy. there's also a dark sparghetti made with integral cereals and that's even better! i would recomend sparghetti in a diet! :)

You can get spaghetti made with whole grains, quinoa, buckwheat... all good choices.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

You can get spaghetti made with whole grains, quinoa, buckwheat... all good choices.

and delicious. I think whole grains noodles are so much tastier than regular.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    2 ounces by weight dry = 4 ounces by weight cooked. Hard to do volume with pastas, the density varies too much. 4 ounces cooked might be a cup of shells, 3/4 cup of penne or 1/3 cup of angel hair.

And the perfect dinner:

Dinner
    Barilla - Spaghetti, 2 oz (56 g) 200 42 1 7 0 0 remove
    Old World Style Ragu - Traditional, 1/4 cup 35 5 1 1 0 240 remove
    Chicken - Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 oz (112g) 70 0 2 13 33 35 remove
    Generic - Green Pepper Raw, 1/4 cup 8 2 0 0 0 1 remove
    Mushrooms - Shiitake, cooked, without salt, 0.5 cup pieces 40 10 0 1 0 3 remove
    Asparagus - Cooked, boiled, drained, 0.5 cup 20 4 0 2 0 13 remove
    Walmart - French Baguette, 2 oz (4.5 inch slice) 150 30 1 6 0 310 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 523 93 5 30 33 602

525 cals is a little heavy, this is a sunday afternoon treat, but wow. :drinker: (Skip the baguette if ya gotta,,,).
  • Mizzbehaven
    Options
    ^ that sounds really good!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    It is good,,, and if you skip the bread it's 375 calories. There's nothing wrong with a reasonable serving of pasta.

The trick is to load it up with Green Peppers and 'shrooms in the sauce. Delish and bulky and very low cal. Sometimes I don't even cut the mushrooms - just leave 'em the size of golf balls. :smile: Good good stuff.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I got one as a wedding present and I love having it. Wonderful to have in the kitchen. The one I have is from Target and it sells on their website for about $25.

I loooove my food scale. I got mine from Amazon, it's an Eat Smart scale. Can use ounces, pounds, grams, etc.