Snacking - yes or no? and protein shakes

Options
Hi all,

So my calories allowance is 1200 calories a day. I aim to do some exercise and have one treat meal a week.

Is it best to have 3 meals of 400 cals a day? or 3 meals and 2 snacks?

if snacking...is 2 whey protein shakes ok to snack on?

thanks!

Replies

• Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Bump
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I personally can't just eat 3 meals a day and be done with it. I eat little and often.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Hi all,

So my calories allowance is 1200 calories a day. I aim to do some exercise and have one treat meal a week.

Is it best to have 3 meals of 400 cals a day? or 3 meals and 2 snacks?

if snacking...is 2 whey protein shakes ok to snack on?

thanks!

I think it's really up to you and your preferences! Some people like three bigger squares, and others like to graze. It doesn't really make a difference. I like to do meals and snacks, personally, but with that calorie limit then you're going to have to do with smaller main meals. But you could definitely do it -- let's say three 300-calorie meals, and two 150-calorie snacks. You can put together some pretty satisfying options with those numbers.

And sure, whey protein shakes are fine if they fit within your desired calories and macronutrient ratios! They will probably also help keep you full.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When it comes to snacking or not it is what ever you will stick too... if snacking will make you eat more calories than no. If it will help you feel more satisfied and stick to your goal than yes.

Don't really like the powders personally, but that is just me.

I make shakes form a half a cup of plain greek yogurt - non fat, and frozen fruit.
  • DigDougOK
    DigDougOK Posts: 20
    Options
    I used to could eat 3 meals a day and be fine, but since I have started eating better I can't do it. I eat 5 meals and snacks a day, just try to keep it healthy. I have been thinking about adding a protein shake to my daily meals too but have not done that yet.
  • LDunzweiler
    Options
    I personally can't just eat 3 meals a day and be done with it. I eat little and often.

I agree!!! I have tried eating just 3x a day and cannot do it! I prefer to eat smaller "meals" multiple times a day. I have always been a heavy snacker and never one to eat 3 big meals...I just get TOO sleepy, especially at work! My only issue with the snacking is overdoing the carbs. I have been working on the best snacks for me so I can save some of my carbs for dinner. I don't know about protein shakes. I was replacing a meal with slim fast drinks when I wasn't that hungry and found that some of my carbs & proteins were being consumed by just drinking one! It takes some math to figure out the best options but, just keep working at it....you will find something that is perfect for you.
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    To quote Bob Harper "You're only allowed to eat a finite number of calories a day, do you really want to graze them them away when you're not hungry?"

Meaning --- snacking is fine as long as you do it because you're hungry not because you're bored. Learn the difference and you're golden.

As for protein shakes, I'm not a fan I don't want to drink my calories because I find chewing much more satisfying.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I like to eat every few hours so I have many small snacks - that way I don't get hungry and PIG OUT. I like EAS Protein shakes - 17 grams of protein for 110 calories. Also like the small carbmaster yogurts- 60 calories. I munch on lots of carrots, 1/4 cup of nuts for a snack, and very small meals. That way I never feel hungry. And, lots of water too. It's helped me not feel deprived.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For me snacking is a definite YES! 3 meals and 3 snacks and it rounds out to about 1300 calories. I try to keep my snacks to apples, or raw carrots or a rice cake (not the healthiest choice, but fulfills the carb desire at times)
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Read an article the other day about snacking at night. The main point was: Calories can't tell time! So if you feel like 3 meals and 2 snacks or 6 small meals or whatever, do it. If it keeps you satisfied and keeps you from overeating, go for it.

I would suggest that one snack be fruits or veggies to cut down on calorie consumption because protein shakes can be so high calorie. I use shakes as meal replacements for breakfast instead of as a snack.
  • snailhead
    snailhead Posts: 10
    Options
    What about a protein shake as a snack? Sometimes I drink the 100 calorie light Muscle Milk (lactose free) shakes when I haven't gotten enough protein and I have enough calories left for the day to fit it in. I also drink it after I work out, but was wondering if others thought drinking a light protein shake as a snack could be beneficial.