sugar

Options
How do you stay under on sugar? two percent milk has 6 sugars which is 1/4 of my total. My morning cereal has 10 sugars and that is not sweetened.
Guess I am more interested in fat and protein.

Replies

• mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Eat more fat and protein, cut out processed cereals and try oatmeal or other whole foods. Natural sugars in fruits are okay as they're paired with high fiber content, but not in excess.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I thought milk sugars are different than other types, like refined sugars like table sugar, HFCS, etc.

I was amazed at how many non sweetened cereals contain HFCS. If your non-sweetened cereal has 10g in a serving, that is pretty high.

I agree about trying oatmeal.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I thought milk sugars are different than other types, like refined sugars like table sugar, HFCS, etc.

I was amazed at how many non sweetened cereals contain HFCS. If your non-sweetened cereal has 10g in a serving, that is pretty high.

I agree about trying oatmeal.

Fruit sugar and milk sugars are "different" only in the fact that they are natural occurring and ok in small amounts.

You can still stall or even gain by eating too much natural sugar as it is causing an insulin response, which is the actual culprit of why a lot of people lose weight so slowly.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this too! Did you know spaghetti squash has a lot of sugar too? 4 grams a cup! Bananas are a killer as well, which is what I use to sweeten my oatmeal. I can never stay under. I am convinced that cutting sugar will help reduce my belly fat but I can't seem to get there and am wondering if the natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables (and squash!) are as bad as the processed. Is it ok to go over if it is all natural sugars?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lactose IS different as is fructose. They are processed differently in the body than sucrose and HFCS. they usually take longer to digest, and therefore don't spike the blood sugar like sucrose or HFCS does. That doesn't mean you can't put fat with them there, you still can, but it's not as easy to do so.

This is all academic though, as you still need to watch your sugar intake, and make sure you're not overdosing on sugar in any one meal.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I am struggling with this too! Did you know spaghetti squash has a lot of sugar too? 4 grams a cup! Bananas are a killer as well, which is what I use to sweeten my oatmeal. I can never stay under. I am convinced that cutting sugar will help reduce my belly fat but I can't seem to get there and am wondering if the natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables (and squash!) are as bad as the processed. Is it ok to go over if it is all natural sugars?

Can you change from banana to some type of berry in your oatmeal? The difference in the natural sugars between the 2 is astonishing!!!

I eat my veggies and fruits according to the glycemic index. I don't eat very much or none at all of the higher glycemic veggies and fruits.

I haven't had a banana in 2 months - they spike my blood sugar.

Squashes are actually fruits, so that explains why they are higher in natural sugars.

I love spaghetti squash though and eat it regularly. I usually will sit and eat a whole one in one sitting. YUMMO!!!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Fructose Metabolism By The Brain Increases Food Intake And Obesity, Review Suggests
    ScienceDaily (Mar. 26, 2009) —

M. Daniel Lane and colleagues at Johns Hopkins have built on the suggested link between the consumption of fructose and increased food intake, which may contribute to a high incidence of obesity, and Type 2 diabetes.

Over the past four decades life-styles have gravitated toward the excessive consumption of 'high energy' foods and sedentary behavior that has resulted in a high incidence of obesity and its pathological consequences. This scenario has led to the increased occurrence of insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes. At present, approximately thirty percent of adult Americans can be classified as obese. Moreover, these changes now extend into the younger age group.

M. Daniel Lane and co-workers at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore have now pulled together work, largely in their laboratory (many papers beginning in 2000), dealing with the role of malonyl-CoA in the signaling system in the brain (specifically the hypothalamus) that has inputs into the higher brain centers that determine feeding behavior, most notably appetite. Two papers in the journal PNAS in 2007 and 2008 showed that glucose and fructose act quite differently in the brain (hypothalamus) - glucose decreasing food intake and fructose increasing food intake. Both of these sugars signal in the brain through the malonyl-CoA signaling pathway and have inverse effects on food intake.

Lane commented: "We feel that these findings may have particular relevance to the massive increase in the use of high fructose sweeteners (both high fructose corn syrup and table sugar) in virtually all sweetened foods, most notably soft drinks. The per capita consumption of these sweeteners in the USA is about 145 lbs/year and is probably much higher in teenagers/youth that have a high level of consumption of soft drinks. There is a large literature now that correlates, but does not prove that a culprit in the rise of teenage obesity may be fructose."

The fact that fructose metabolism by the brain increases food intake and obesity risk raises health concerns in view of the large and increasing per capita consumption of high fructose sweeteners, especially by youth.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sugar according to MFP.

However I do not eat anything with high fructose corn syrup or refined sugar. I get it all from fruit and veggies. I also try to eat medium or low Glycemic index foods.

Perhaps there will come a day when I worry about these natural sugars, but not yet. I'm still losing weight and feeling good. And since I'm always under in Carbs, I'm okay with it for now.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options

However I do not eat anything with high fructose corn syrup or refined sugar. I get it all from fruit and veggies. I also try to eat medium or low Glycemic index foods.

Perhaps there will come a day when I worry about these natural sugars, but not yet. I'm still losing weight and feeling good. And since I'm always under in Carbs, I'm okay with it for now.

There will not be a day when you need to worry about natural sugars! You are doing fabulously, and if you can cut out refined sugar, you are already ten steps ahead of most!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I'm sure at some point, when your body fat % is at 18 and you're training for your 2nd ironman you'll start to care but until then, as long as you're in the ballpark, I doubt that will be an issue. :wink:

Heck, I very rarely check, and I've been at this for 2 plus years now. Once in a while I check just to see where I am, but I'm always within 10 grams either way so I never really focus on it. Course some people are far more sensitive to sugar than me.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

There will not be a day when you need to worry about natural sugars! You are doing fabulously, and if you can cut out refined sugar, you are already ten steps ahead of most!

That is true, but not true..............

If she has a family with a history of any type of blood sugar disorder, there will be a day when even natural sugars matter.

I am one of those people.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

I'm sure at some point, when your body fat % is at 18 and you're training for your 2nd ironman you'll start to care but until then, as long as you're in the ballpark, I doubt that will be an issue. :wink:

Now THAT will require some faith. :) Thanks guys!
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    How do you stay under on sugar? two percent milk has 6 sugars which is 1/4 of my total. My morning cereal has 10 sugars and that is not sweetened.
    Guess I am more interested in fat and protein.

How do you know your cereal does not have any added sugar?

Demetria