fitting in a workout...

Options
I have a 2 year old running around and a 6 week old. My two year old doesn't hardly ever take naps and I have no way to get a workout in. I've tried the treadmill but he likes to jump on it when I'm running, Does anyone have any exercise advice or a way I can get a workout in?

Replies

• xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Take the kids out for a walk, break out the stroller.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Get workout dvds for at home (that is what I did). I have 2 babies (now 3 and 21 months). I would either get up before work and the babies got up or after they went to bed. I did 30-day shred, Ripped in 30 and turbojam. Most of the workout dvds I did were about 30 mins. Doing a workout is very doable with a little dedication. Now, I have joined a local gym that has a daycare for my babies - they love it, and I get my "me" time.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Get a weighted fitness hula hoop and get a kids one for the 2 year old. You can learn together.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Do it when he's eating in his highchair. I have a 3 yr old and a 2 year old (16 months apart) so I know where you're coming from. Meal time when I *know* one of my kids isn't successfully injuring themselves is the best time to get stuff done. You can bust out a sick 20 minute treadmill workout!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you really "want it" you will find a way. That's honestly the bottom line

suggestions-have a babysitter while you workout (I am assuming you are a single mom) if not tell your hubby to watch them while you work out.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Mine are older now, but I would suggest a special bag of toys that only comes out when it is workout time. Or when you are working out your 2yr old can watch Yo Gabba Gabba while you are on the treadmill. If they are good they get playdough time or some sort of reward that won't get out of hand on a daily basis.

Good Luck. My oldest is easy going and loved sleep. My youngest didn't have sleep schedule til she was 1. It is hard, but get creative. Heck, give the kid a cardboard box and they should be content for looong while, lol.:flowerforyou:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I get up very early and get my exercise done and dusted before my kids get up. You'll have to sacrifice an hour's sleep in the morning and go to bed an hour earlier at night lol
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Why can't he workout with you? Do lungs, squats, sit-ups, push-ups etc with you. My brother actually takes my 6 y.o. nephew to the gym. My nephew loves doing ONE ARMED push ups. LOL...do workouts together. Skip, hop, jump are movements a 2 year old needs to know so just incorporate them into your workout. Set-up P.E. time in your house and see if this helps the 2 y.o. to take a nap LOL
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a two year old. I workout after she's in bed. And we go for walks together.
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i'm not a single mom actually..my boyfriend is allowing me to be a stay at home mom by working for a gas company..he works 12 hours days for 4 weeks...and has off 2. So that's not an option for me. Thanks for the advice though :-)
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    At the risk of poisoning my 2 year old with TV, I usually put on a video for him to watch at the computer (which is right near the TV) I do a workout DVD and he watches a 30 minute (or so) show on NickJr.com. I get my workout, he gets Max and Ruby, and then we go outside an play (his workout). This is done while my daughter is at school. On days I have both of them (usually Dad is home, too) I get up early, head out the door and hit the pavement for at least 45 minutes. Nothing like a morning walk/jog to get your day moving. Plus by the time I get back and start to stretching on the patio the kids are staring out the window and all grins for me :) You'll figure something out if you really want it. Good luck!
  • LDunzweiler
    Options
    I agree with the at home video & walking options for sure. I don't have a little baby anymore, but my daughter is 8 & I work full time. When I get home after my 45 min commute at 6pm, I have to cook dinner, do laundry, help with homework, and about a million other things. The only time I have been able to find to squeeze in a work out is after my daughter goes to bed. Saturday and Sunday are much easier because I can work out while she is at a friends house. Everyone I have read above is right....if you really want it, you will find a way...even if it is 10 min here and there. (There are 10 min videos out there too!) I have also seen some mommy & me work out vids that you could involve your older child. To involve your baby, figure out some ways to use him / her as a weight and do some strength training! Just rocking him side to side while you do lunges or walk your living room while you rock him! There are tons of everyday activities that burn calories too! You can do it....you can and you will! :) Good luck momma!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    My boys are 15 months apart, so I get you. Invest in a used jogger (I loved my Schwinn) and make it part of your routine. We went after they both had eaten and used the bathroom...around naptime. As they got older, I planned my runs around things they loved to see (fire stations, flightlines, construction sites, ships docking, etc). Finally, they were both big enough to bring along a small snack, although I don't recommend toys. They love to toss them, and you don't want to have to retrace a long run to find it. As they potty-trained, I found an indoor track that would allow me to make quick pit stops in the bathroom.

Now, they are both too big. I could have cried when I got rid of that stroller, which was on its third spare wheel and a busted frame.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 yr. old and an almost 4 yr. old. I have to get up at 4:30am to get my daily workout in before we leave for preschool and work.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In the AM before they get up or in the evening after you put them to bed. I am not a morning person so I completely understand not wanting to get up before your kids. At bedtime my kids like to get up and talk so sometimes its easier for me to be working out in my room so I can make sure they stay put after I put them to bed.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh and I work out w/ Jillian Michaels, 30 day shred and Ripped, each workout is 30 minutes.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Having kids and working out is definitely a challenge.....but very do-able. I have 3 & 5 year old daughters, I work full time and I still manage to get workouts in. I have lost 50lbs eating right and exercising to 30 minutes DVD like the 30 Day Shred, Hop Hip Abs, Tae Bo or Turbo Jam....whatever gets the job done. I also jog on my lunch hour. When I do the workouts at night, I bring the kids down with me and they have 2 choices, to work out with me or play with their toys. Or sometimes they get a treat and get to eat dinner and watch Bugs Bunny while mommy works out.

I also put my kids in a stroller/buggy and speed walk if all else fails. I walk up and down the stairs in my house....I chase the kids around the house and let them chase me.... it is a fun game for them and we all get a workout....

If you want to exercise, you will. Being a stay at home mom, surely you have time during the day. You just have to get creative and find a way to keep your child occupied.

If you really want to work out and get fit, then you will find the time.... it is definitely easier to find excuses not to work out.... trust me I know....I probably made ever single one of them ....once upon a time.... lol

Good luck :)
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Yep, good ole jogging stroller or DVD. My twins are 2 and don't nap. We just had a gym open up down the street. I drop our oldest at school and work out for an hour while the old man watches the kids. If you want it... you'll make it happen.
  • PlumpyIrish
    PlumpyIrish Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms have a creche to drop your children while you workout. Have you family or friends that would watch the little ones for 30mins/an hour, a couple of times a week?
    It is a challenge with kids (I have 3!) but I'm out the door for a run as soon as my hubby gets home. I'm in my gear, ready to go. DVD's are a good option too.