Anyone Use a FitBit Ultra?

Options
2»

Replies

• walterafable
    Options
    Does anyone understand the "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment" made each day in MFP? I spent about 5 hours yesterday building a fence. When I looked this morning on Fitbit.com, it showed I had burned 2,995 calories yesterday based solely on Fitbit. Yet, when I checked yesterday's MFP exercise log, the Fitbit Calories Adjustment was only 720. Somewhere I seem to have lost 2,275 burned calories!!!! I know I still burned them (because I'm feeling it today) but it's troubling that the sync only seemed to have picked up a fraction of what I did. Anyone underestand this sync business and how it works?

The FitBit adjustment is not a sync, it is an adjustment. The FitBit adjustment basically tells MFP that it has underestimated the number of calories you burned, by approximately 720 calories. Remember that the MFP value is an educated guess based on your height, weight and what you select as your activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) This is where the power of the FitBit comes in--it fine tunes that educated guess. Some days you'll actually burn calories very close to the MFP number. When you build fences it will be higher. The fitbit adjustment will increase the number based on the data it recorded through your activities.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love mine also.

When I add an activity that occurred during the time of a FitBit adjustment, it'll automatically remove the adjustment. It is nice to see that it both MFP and FitBit integrates so well.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I love the way it adjusts and works with MFP. I tend to stick with the calories that the Fitbit says I can eat rater than MFP since it takes into account how much I have been walking/active during the day and MFP doesn't. On MFP you enter in sedentary lifestyle that's all you get the FitBit knows you have been moving and not that sedentary and it makes the adjustment. LOVE IT! and it works well with MFP. I track food and activity on MFP and it syncs with the FitBit all on it's own.
  • newfern
    newfern Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost 6 hours now and it's a lot of fun to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing the data and the integration. This has been a great thread! I would have been so sad to wake up and not have had it track my sleep properly. Thanks for all the info about Activity Mode.

-fern
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have one and it is brilliant.

When you do excercise here is what you do.

1. As you start any excercise you hold in the button and it flips to 'activity mode'. When you finish hold it again and it says 'stop'.

2. When you go to the fitbit site you will see any activities you have logged with exact times. Make a note of the logged times.

3. Go to MyFitnessPal site and log your activity with those exact times. It will then be sent to the FitBit site and overwrite your 'activity mode' sessions with the actual excercise.

This is very important because say you do a 5k run, the FitBit will record your steps but not how fast or far you have gone. By doing the above it can work out how far you have gone in those steps and makes all your data correct.

Do this for every activity. So if you are in the gym and you do a run then a row you make 2 activity mode logs. One for the run then do it again for the row. When you go to the site you will have 2 logs to input data for from MyFitnessPal. Just make sure to see the exact times to input from the FitBit site so you can match them exactly.

You also use the activity mode to track your sleep.

The FitBit is amazing. I wouldn't be without it now. I walk extra just to get my badges etc. :D

I just ordered my fitbit so here is my question. I currently use a polar heart rate monitor when I exercise. Is the fitbit accurate as to the calories burned or should I continue to use my heartrate monitor during exercise and overide the calories burned to match my polar hrm?
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I wear it 24 hours a day. The only problem I have with it is I do not know how to go back and change the weight loss goals so they match my MFP goals.. Anyone??
  • Vernswifevickie
    Vernswifevickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options

1. As you start any excercise you hold in the button and it flips to 'activity mode'. When you finish hold it again and it says 'stop'.

2. When you go to the fitbit site you will see any activities you have logged with exact times. Make a note of the logged times.

3. Go to MyFitnessPal site and log your activity with those exact times. It will then be sent to the FitBit site and overwrite your 'activity mode' sessions with the actual excercise.

This is very important because say you do a 5k run, the FitBit will record your steps but not how fast or far you have gone. By doing the above it can work out how far you have gone in those steps and makes all your data correct.

Do this for every activity. So if you are in the gym and you do a run then a row you make 2 activity mode logs. One for the run then do it again for the row. When you go to the site you will have 2 logs to input data for from MyFitnessPal. Just make sure to see the exact times to input from the FitBit site so you can match them exactly.

The FitBit is amazing. I wouldn't be without it now. I walk extra just to get my badges etc. :D

This is great! I couldn't quite figure out how to do the whole "add exercise" thing. This is such a good explanation...I just copied it and emailed it to myself so I could have it in my phone :)
    Thanks!!
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options

This is great! I couldn't quite figure out how to do the whole "add exercise" thing. This is such a good explanation...I just copied it and emailed it to myself so I could have it in my phone :)
    Thanks!!

I just log my activity on MFP because I couldn't figure out that activity thing (it's the stopwatch, right?). Although this is a great explanation, I still can't figure it out. I have to play with it. Anyway, when I log my activity on MFP it adjusts my calories in my dairy and on the FitBit website the same way.
  • rn00karen
    rn00karen Posts: 2
    Options
    This is great....if you are a fitbit ultra user please add me as a friend...(rn00karen) as I need the help learning how to use this with MFP. Thanks,
    Karen
  • myshell270908
    Options
    Is there a way to stop it recording steps for a little while? I drive to the bus station and catch a bus for 20mins to uni, dont want it to count these
  • walterafable
    Options
    Is there a way to stop it recording steps for a little while? I drive to the bus station and catch a bus for 20mins to uni, dont want it to count these

This is the most frequently requested feature in the forums. From my experience... the best way to manage this is to press and hold the button on the tracker to start the stopwatch as you start your drive. Press and hold the button again when your commute is over. When you log into the website you'll see an activity record with that timeframe. If it is early in the morning or late at night it may register as a sleep record. Either way, click on the record to edit it and enter 'driving'. It will match the record up with an activity in the FitBit database that removes the steps from the step count from your total as seen through the website but unfortunately doesn't change the amount that reads on your Tracker. It will also adjust the calorie burn down if necessary. When the activity crosses over to MFP it will be more accurate.