In the red !!

Options

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others. MFP has protein set low. As for the sugar, if you don't have a blood glucose problem, don't worry about it. As long as you are in your calorie count and aren't eating empty sugar, you are good. Fruit has many benefits. I eat a lot of fruit and very little to no processed sugar. I have lost 75lb, so fruit can't be too bad.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    To much protein turns into fat
    I am not sure about the sugar seeing it is from fruit

Your kidding right??? Please tell me you are fking kidding!!
    Newb make me cry:sad: :sad:
  • 13joanne
    13joanne Posts: 59
    Options
    I dont want to feel like I'm on a diet !
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    family-feud-3-strikes.jpg
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

:explode:

imagesCAXA7VCU.jpg
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I almost always go in the red on proteins. Lean proteins are super duper, I don't ever double up the -ve amounts, but 1-10 over sure. Unless you're also in the red on calories, I don't see it hurting anything. You shouldn't have to be "on a diet" since that almost sounds like you are expected to eat less. If you are working out, then who cares? Don't stress it unless your scale is yowling at you. Then maybe get a new scale, I know I did :bigsmile:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Not had a good few days so glad Easter is over I want to start a fresh tomorrow , so started planing my day , I have planed dinner chicken brown rice and veg and 2 snacks an apple before I go to the gym and a pear in the afternoon , I used to eat a lot more fruit as I did ww about a year ago any way already in the red for protein and sugar is this bad !

I think that sounds like a balanced dinner.
  • 13joanne
    13joanne Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks i just think I was stressing about it , after a bad few days but I no what to do its doing it x
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    MFP is nuts on their macro and default settings. I'm a runner (definitely wasn't when I started MFP last summer, but that was 55 pounds ago!) and would absolutely fall apart if I followed MFP's default suggestions for my calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients. If you're active at all, shoot for a 50 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, 20 percent fat ratio.

As far as protein "turning into fat" - that is true of ANY macronutrient you consume if you eat more calories than you expend. A person who is active uses a lot more protein than someone who is inactive. Overdoing it on protein shakes or chicken breasts is NOT nutritionally equivalent to overdoing it on birthday cake.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Oh jeez....I don't even want to know where you got that little nugget of information. :noway:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Not had a good few days so glad Easter is over I want to start a fresh tomorrow , so started planing my day , I have planed dinner chicken brown rice and veg and 2 snacks an apple before I go to the gym and a pear in the afternoon , I used to eat a lot more fruit as I did ww about a year ago any way already in the red for protein and sugar is this bad !

Why wait till tomorrow? start today.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I don't count sugar from fruit. I don't limit myself on fruit or veggies based on sugar.
    I'm always high on protein.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I thought this was another TOM thread.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Thats a new one on me....

That must be why body builders are so fat and non muscly... *sarcasm*
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Ewwwwwwww!!!! :sick:

Who is this Tom guy anyway? :tongue:
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Grody!

:laugh:
  • bhholder
    bhholder Posts: 1
    Options
    MFP is nuts on their macro and default settings. I'm a runner (definitely wasn't when I started MFP last summer, but that was 55 pounds ago!) and would absolutely fall apart if I followed MFP's default suggestions for my calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients. If you're active at all, shoot for a 50 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, 20 percent fat ratio.

As far as protein "turning into fat" - that is true of ANY macronutrient you consume if you eat more calories than you expend. A person who is active uses a lot more protein than someone who is inactive. Overdoing it on protein shakes or chicken breasts is NOT nutritionally equivalent to overdoing it on birthday cake.

What this smart person said. Any excess macronutrients are converted to triglycerides. It's just how the body stores energy (i.e., human nature).

Give yourself some leeway on holidays, but don't go too crazy. :drinker:
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I posted this in a previous thread but thought I'd repeat it. I believe the sugar limit presented by MFP has resulted from the limit suggested by the USDA of 5-15% Solid Fats and Added Sugars (SoFaS) this would explain why the limit is 8% of the calories with saturated fats being limited to 10%. However the sugar value on labels doesn't distinguish added sugar from intrinsic or milk sugars that are meant to be better.

In the UK the Food and Drink Federation who devise the Guideline Daily Amounts (GDA) recommend a breakdown of 49% total carbohydrates of which 19% is total sugars with only 10% coming from Non-Milk Extrinsic Sugars (NMES) (Added sugars in the US terminology). So for a normal female on 2000 calories a day this equates to 90g of total sugars of which only 50g can come from NMES (men get 120g total sugar and 65g NMES).

This limit encourages you to eat more fresh fruit, for a normal adult this would equates to the 5 fruits and vegetables we are always being encouraged to eat. These guidelines are so much more liberating than the 8% total sugar limit MFP imposes.

Of course people with diabetes have different rules to follow.

Check out http://www.fdf.org.uk/publicgeneral/gdas_science_jul09.pdf for the full report.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Under your "MY HOME" tab there is a tab that says "Goals". Near the bottom of that page there is a botton that says "CHANGE GOALS". Click the option that s says "Custom" and then you can change your macros. Up the protein, fat, carb to whatever level you are looking to reach.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen that new Verizon commercial where the guys hanging out @ the basketball court are giving each other really horrible advice? Like use household bleach to make your teeth whiter, lift with your back...yeah that's kinda what MFP forums are like.