ARGH! Why is this so hard?

Options
Hi,
I've been at this for a few weeks now, I eat healthy, mostly raw vegetables, fruit, I have cereal in the morning. I'm not a soda drinker so that isn't a problem. I tend to not eat bread all that often or pasta. I exercise regularly and I am usually under my calorie goal. I still haven't lost anything. I'm so frustrated, my husband is doing this as well and that helps because he pushes me to be better but I float between 141 and 139 and it's really frustrating. Am I doing something wrong?

:explode:

Replies

• js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    If your daily calorie intake is at 1200 or below, you should bring it up 200-300 calories. If you don't eat back the calories you burn working out, you should at least it 50%-80%. These two things are usually the two biggest issues with women starting on this site. MFP setting the daily calories to low for women is the biggest issue.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A few weeks is still early. You may see some big changes all of a sudden soon. Don't worry about the scale, pay more attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Well if something isn't working, time to change things up. Considering your weight, you couldn't need to lose THAT much more weight so you'll probably need to readjust your goals and try and lose 1lb per week instead of 2.
  • JulieDom1979
    JulieDom1979 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set at 1250. I don't usually get anywhere near it but when I do that's when I find I gain.

I don't want to go into starvation mode but I feel defeated.
  • JulieDom1979
    Options
    that's what my husband says too. Thanks sapalee.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set at 1250. I don't usually get anywhere near it but when I do that's when I find I gain.

So you're eating too little. That's the first and obvious issue.

Secondly, this wouldn't affect weight loss per se, but it would affect muscle mass - of all the foods you mention in the OP, I don't see any protein.

Open your diary up and you can get some more solid advice. But in general, stick to a moderate calorie deficit. If you're getting no where near 1250, then you are setting yourself up for failure.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's hard because you're limiting your food choices, and I'm willing to be you're not eating your exercise calories either.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've found that staying away from particular foods will make it harder in general because your body will start to crave the foods that you are avoiding. I would try to eat some carbs (or whatever else you are avoiding) to keep you sane and to keep you from craving certain foods too badly. It makes the whole process a lot easier and I've found that losing weight is still do-able.

Increasing your calorie intake per day might be the way to go, but give it a little more time before you decide. Basically I agree with the above comments.

Good luck and try your best to stay positive! That is the number one most important part - keep it up and don't give up!!! :)
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

So you're eating too little. That's the first and obvious issue.

Secondly, this wouldn't affect weight loss per se, but it would affect muscle mass - of all the foods you mention in the OP, I don't see any protein.

Open your diary up and you can get some more solid advice. But in general, stick to a moderate calorie deficit. If you're getting no where near 1250, then you are setting yourself up for failure.

Agree. This is a huge problem lately, yes you CAN GAIN WEIGHT FROM UNDEREATING AND MALNUTRITION, yes it is bad for you to eat too little.

This is My Fitness Pal...not "My quick fix want to be skinny now pal". Also, if this was meant to be easy then everyone would be fit and toned...right?
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above. It seems most people on mfp have had the same discoveries. We need to be patient, give your body time to adjust, measure yourself along with weighing in, and DO eat your exercise calories back! I've followed this advice and have found it works. Hang in there! Stick to it and I'm sure you'll meet your goals!
  • JulieDom1979
    Options
    OK LindaCwy good point, I know that we all diet differently too so I really need to focus and get my head in it.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Maybe you're slightly carb sensitive and should focus more on lean proteins and green veggies - and try to limit the simple carbs (cereal) and fruit.
  • vincentf81
    Options
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the settings when you configured your account as well. When you sign up it asks you what activity level you are at. I am new at this so I put sedentary and I'm not really sedentary but I didn't want to give myself more credit than I deserved. I wonder how many people understate their activity level therefore decreasing their calorie budget for the day thus causing them not to get enough of these calories you guys are talking about. Maybe in a few weeks I will change my activity lever and see what that does.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to up your calories with healthy choices. Nuts and avacados and cheese and such. You will probably gain a few pounds at first. Don't let this deter you. If you truly need to reset your metabolism, this is what it will take. I would suggest putting the scale away for a few weeks, and instead of a weight goal, set nutrition and caloric goals. Take some measurements. Focus on pushing yourself during workouts to go a little longer or do just 1 more rep. Find your success in someplace other than the scale for a while.

I wish you well.
  • santent
    santent Posts: 7
    Options
    For most people the good ole 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats are a great starting point at how to properly distribute your calories throughout the day. If you are severely limiting either one of these on a daily basis you will not see beneficial results. Spread your meals, and your calories evenly throughout the day. I basically have 7 meals a day.
    Breakfast (7:30 am), Brunch (10:00 am), Lunch (12:30 pm), Pre Work Out( 4:00 pm), Post Work out (7:30 pm) , Dinner (8:30 pm)
    Bed Time Shake (10:30 pm). Speed that metabolism up!!!!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OK LindaCwy good point, I know that we all diet differently too so I really need to focus and get my head in it.

*bows*. It's NOT a diet, its a lifestyle change, focus on thinking like that and you will achieve your goals. Yeah it's hard, I struggle with it too, we all do. Once you get your head in it, there will be no stopping you! I promise!