What's similar to P90x Recovery formula

Options
We are borrowing the p90x series from a friend and don't want to buy the P90X recovery formula or protein bars. Can anyone recommend items that would be similar and still do the job? Are these things really necessary? I can say that looking at the diet it's not going to be easy, but worth it.
Thanks
~Whitney

Replies

• josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    They're not necessary, in my opinion. I was doing Insanity and never bought a single food item from Beachbody and still managed to lose the weight I was looking to lose. Most everyone makes a recovery drink...just go to a sports nutrition store and you'll find about 100 of them.

In my experience, however, chocolate milk works just as well. ;)
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm doing P90X right now and I have been for a while. I HIGHLY recommend the recovery drink. If you're going to buy anything from beachbody, at least get the recovery drink, lol. You can get multivitamins and protein bars anywhere, but that drink is one of a kind. If I don't have it after my workouts, the extent of how sore I get is completely ridiculous. I tried to replace it with L-Glutamine powder and some vitamin supplements, but it just didn't cut it. I love the recovery drink and I recommend it. And that's all I have to say about that. *shrug*
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is, the days I do not drink my recovery formula, I am sore as heck the next day. And on the days I do, soreness is very negligible.

And No, I do not sell it or is in any way affiliated with the company.
  • BlueInkDot
    Options
    They're not necessary, in my opinion. I was doing Insanity and never bought a single food item from Beachbody and still managed to lose the weight I was looking to lose. Most everyone makes a recovery drink...just go to a sports nutrition store and you'll find about 100 of them.

You were able to get a recovery drink that matched the P90X recovery drink? Is it cheaper? Where did you get it?

Oh yea and I'm not affiliated with beachbody or whatever either. I'm just a customer. :P
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should say, that's the only supplement I buy. I have completed 2 rounds of P90X and currently in 1st week of P90X2.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I NEVER used a recovery formula and NEVER noticed a difference. Save your money and drink some milk :)
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't really recommend the recovery formula to women who are trying to lose weight or if they do use it to only do half a serving. You could eat a piece of fruit right after with some protein and be fine. The bars are pretty high in calories and sugar as well so you could definitely substitute with regular food. I buy the bars simply for times I an too busy to eat real food or don't have access, but not everyday. They are pretty good tasting though and I only eat half at a time. I went to a live event with Shaun T. the trainer for Insanity and he said he did not recommend the results and recovery if you are trying to lose weight past the first week. I know many people who use and it and have excellent results, but it is definitely not essential. Just do the program and get in the right macros it recommends through food. You will do great.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm doing P90X right now and I have been for a while. I HIGHLY recommend the recovery drink. If you're going to buy anything from beachbody, at least get the recovery drink, lol. You can get multivitamins and protein bars anywhere, but that drink is one of a kind. If I don't have it after my workouts, the extent of how sore I get is completely ridiculous. I tried to replace it with L-Glutamine powder and some vitamin supplements, but it just didn't cut it. I love the recovery drink and I recommend it. And that's all I have to say about that. *shrug*

Lol 1 of a kind? Like most of their supplements it's overpriced garbage, it's dextrose and malto with some whey. And you don't even need a recovery drink after doing P90x
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I've used it from day one and absolute love it. However the benefit is a mix of Carbs and a little protein after a workout. Certainly recommend some sort of recovery drink afterwards. chocolate milk is good in pinch. It has the right ratio of carbs to protein.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    When I did P90X last year I drank a combo of spirutein protein powder (has 100% of daily vitamins in it) plus a megagreens like Green Vibrance. I belive when I compared the two to the recovery they were pretty close combined. I agree with the fact that while they aren't necessary I was super sore on the days I didn't drink a shake after a work out. It really helps with muscle and body repair after the @ss kicking each day you get doing P90X.
  • BlueInkDot
    Options

Lol 1 of a kind? Like most of their supplements it's overpriced garbage, it's dextrose and malto with some whey. And you don't even need a recovery drink after doing P90x

:'( I thought we had a BOND, man.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Statements like these, show they just prey on people's ignorance. 500mg of creatine? lollercoaster

"A small amount of creatine to boost performance without adding bulk"
  • Laceylala
    Options
    I'd also like to add that you will benefit more by eating more natural sources of protein/carbs than using synthesized or overly processed stuff...try ground up flax seed and chia seed in smoothies with milk, peanut butter and greek yogurt for a high calorie. high fiber, high omega 3, good carb drink.
  • Laceylala
    Options
    Statements like these, show they just prey on people's ignorance. 500mg of creatine? lollercoaster

Ha! I'm totally stealing that word...lollercoaster. LOLlercoaster!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

It's mostly high glycemic carbs for a reason.
  • Acg67
    Options

Why to shuttle nutrients to your muscles and increase MPS? Or to rapidly replenish glycogen stores when it isn't necessary unless you have another glycogen depleting event shortly upcoming?
  • BlueInkDot
    Options

Hey, since you know what's what, why don't you enlighten the rest of us? Making fun of our "ignorance" isn't going to fix it, y'know? The reason we're here is to learn (thus reducing our ignorance). So what is it that you know and we don't? Seriously I'm not trying to be patronizing or anything, I just want to know what it is we're missing out on. That's why I'm here. *shrug*
  • BlueInkDot
    Options

Why to shuttle nutrients to your muscles and increase MPS? Or to rapidly replenish glycogen stores when it isn't necessary unless you have another glycogen depleting event shortly upcoming?
    Okay:

1. What are high glycemic carbs?
    2. What is MPS?
    3. What are glycogen stores and how does it help/hurt the muscle building process?

Ready go! :P
  • Mandie82x
    Options
    The p90x nutrition book has a recipe for a recovery drink, my boyfriends using it and finds it perks him up after the exercises.

1 cup skimmed milk
    1 scoop whey protien
    1/2 cup frozen berries
    1/2 medium banana
  • Acg67
    Options

Okay:

1. What are high glycemic carbs?
    2. What is MPS?
    3. What are glycogen stores and how does it help/hurt the muscle building process?

Ready go! :P

High GI carbs are carbs that when tested in an isocaloric state on fasted subjects have been been shown to spike blood glucose levels higher then other carbs

MPS = Muscle Protein Synthesis

Glycogen is stored glucose and used for energy. Thus if you were to deplete it all and you had another event shortly upcoming you'd want to rapidly replenish them, other then that, no need to rapidly replenish stores and certainly not within mins of finishing your workout