new and need motivation

Options
I am a 36 year old mother of three. I have been slightly overweight since having children, but after my son was born 3 years ago, I have gained so much weight and am now over the 200 pound mark. I would be comfortable with weighing 175 or so. I currently have no energy and have been experiencing severe pain in my hips which I am sure is due to the weight. I always have good intentions about losing weight, but cave quickly. I honestly think I am addicted to food- it seems to control my life. It is the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you overcome it??? I am excited to be a part of this website and look forward to motivating myself based on everyone's successes!

Replies

• msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me - I'm a 31 working mom of 1. Good luck on your journey!
  • jconnors2012
    jconnors2012 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Food can be addicting however I believe any addiciton can be controlled. Doing things in moderation and a steady pace always has helped me. I have personally lost 30lb since the first of December. 1 big thing for me was fast food. Once i cut that out and started experimenting with new foods this is where i saw my success. If you love food thats not a problem, its the type of foods you wake up and eat every morning that will make or break your success. Instead of a donut or anything fried try a healthier alternative. You will need to experiment with different things to see what will work for you. I used to love greasy bacon and eggs, but now will eat egg whites and a piece of whole wheat toast. Or yogurt and eggs. If you need to do it in baby steps anything is better than nothing to start! Eventually it will be come second nature.

Good Luck!
  • myjeansR2tight
    myjeansR2tight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! Today is my first day here and I'm excited to get started. I'm currently 180 lbs., the same weight that I was 9 months pregnant with my 3rd child and he is now 8 years old. I've yo-yo'd back and forth the past few years with my weight. My goal is go get 140 lbs.. I'll be 40 soon and I'm starting to feel the aches and pains due to this excess weight. Good luck!
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can add me. Mom of 5 kids. Need to lose 62 pounds.
  • Daknar
    Daknar Posts: 5
    Options
    Just start tracking and get religious with it. Don't worry too much if you go over your calorie count a few days of the week but just keep tracking. Get the phone app as well. The more you track the less you will eat. Also don't rely on the calorie counts from the exercise you do. Try to get where you have burned more than you have consumed on a normal basis. If you fall off the wagon for a day get back on the next day. The more you track the more you realize what you are actually putting in your mouth and you will soon start to realize what it will take to start to drop quickly. Get a gym pass or find an exercise you love to do or you think you will want to do. Then start small and build up. Just don't give up. If you mess up one day don't sweat it, consistency is the path to seeing improvement. Measure weight over a week even if you are weighing every day don't worry about it from day to day but more week to week. I have five boys and I will go biking with them or when they were younger I would push them around in the stroller/trailer for hours. Get to love the feeling of being empty. Hate the feeling of being full. Chew gum a lot. It helps a ton. There are a few suggestions. That really help me to keep the weight off and whenever I need to drop I just remember those thoughts.
  • amsaunders0313
    Options
    You can add me! Mom of 1 and need to lose over 70 lbs. I cave easily too!
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just start tracking and get religious with it. Don't worry too much if you go over your calorie count a few days of the week but just keep tracking. Get the phone app as well. The more you track the less you will eat. Also don't rely on the calorie counts from the exercise you do. Try to get where you have burned more than you have consumed on a normal basis. If you fall off the wagon for a day get back on the next day. The more you track the more you realize what you are actually putting in your mouth and you will soon start to realize what it will take to start to drop quickly. Get a gym pass or find an exercise you love to do or you think you will want to do. Then start small and build up. Just don't give up. If you mess up one day don't sweat it, consistency is the path to seeing improvement. Measure weight over a week even if you are weighing every day don't worry about it from day to day but more week to week. I have five boys and I will go biking with them or when they were younger I would push them around in the stroller/trailer for hours. Get to love the feeling of being empty. Hate the feeling of being full. Chew gum a lot. It helps a ton. There are a few suggestions. That really help me to keep the weight off and whenever I need to drop I just remember those thoughts.

I chew gum all the time! Sugar free helps me the most so I don't want the "sweets." Also, when I feel hungry, I have a glass of water and that usually dose the trick since I'm just thirsty rather than hungry. Good luck!
  • patricia_24
    Options
    hi im new to this im a 25 year old single mom of three girls...I have been overwight thought out my teenage years my whole family is obese and i want to set a good example to my kids to eat well and to exercise...I am over 200pds would love to lose 70+ but i have no motivation...im looking for some people to encourge me along this jounrey and to challenge each other..please feel free to add me thanks
  • solord
    solord Posts: 1
    Options
    I know what you mean about the addiction to food. I feel the same one. It seems my whole day revolves around what lunch is going to be, or what sounds good for dinner. And the harder I try not to overeat and to control myself, the more I want to. I just started MyFitnessPal today. Maybe we can motivate each other. That seems to be what I lack. I like to think I have the will, but I cave frequently. I wish you much success!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I hired a kitchen bouncer. The *kitten* would taze me whenever I went back for seconds. It worked for me.