Running (week)

Options
How many days do you run a week? And for how long?

What differences have you noticed since you've started running? Did it affect your weight loss?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started about 8 weeks ago and currently run 50-70 minutes every other day (8-9k), thinking of upping that by one or two short runs (4-5k) a week.
    i definitely feel in better shape, am more relaxed about what i am eating, and still losing weight...
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started about 8 weeks ago and currently run 50-70 minutes every other day (8-9k), thinking of upping that by one or two short runs (4-5k) a week.
    i definitely feel in better shape, am more relaxed about what i am eating, and still losing weight...

How did you build it up? :)
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week..between 3.5 and 5 miles per run. A year ago I started out walking gradually building my way up to running. I can do 60 minutes a time now.. Start of slow..let your body get used to it. I SHOULD see more of a weight loss..however, I don't think I was eating enough to fuel the calories I used while running. I have since increased that and am waiting for results.

Feel free to add me if you like.. I LOVE talking about running

Dawn
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    5x a week and elliptical crosstrain. I did 23 miles this week with one of them as a 9 miler. I'm in week 4 of a half marathon training program.
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    I started running about 12 weeks ago and am up to 30 (not including warm up or cool down) minutes 3 times a week. I run about 2.5-3 miles per run (gotta start somewhere!) and am noticing a gigantic difference in how I look and feel.

If it makes a difference, I am a former cross country/track runner who decided to get back into running years later with the C25k method. I've been 'graduated' from that program for a few weeks, but it helped me get back into running alone. :)
  • LusineY
    LusineY Posts: 10
    Options
    I started running about 3 months ago. When I first started I could barely run for 2 minutes but with in 6 weeks, I learned how to run for 30 minutes. I usually run 4-5 times a week for about 45 minutes, around 3-4 miles. I did the Women's Health Magazines, run in 6 weeks program, it was awesome. After I had established a good running routine, I started doing intervals instead, running on a higher speed for 1 minute and walking at a fast pace for 1 minute. Definitely feel better health wise. Lost about 10 pounds, but Im not really watching what I am eating. Good luck.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    How did you build it up? :)
    I started with C25K, but switched over to a 10k program after week 4. I'm still doing intervals, currently run 10 minutes, walk 1, repeat 4-6 times.
    I got the 10k program out of 'the beginning runners handbook' which i had borrowed for some background info. switching over took some time, 1h is definitely harder to do than 30 minutes, no matter the intervals. I recommend the book, even though you can get most the info on the forums here as well...
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    I run 3 days per week, ranging from 15 - 20 miles total. 2 days per week I cross train on my bike in 30-45 minute sessions. In addition I walk 30 - 90 minutes with the dogs 2 to 3 times per week on average. This makes for a nice combination of activities that I hope will help prevent injuries and burnout.
  • TaniaMcCormick
    Options
    oh, thak you all :)

I've managed to run 15 minutes today.. walk for 2, and run another 15.

I'll try and build it up!

Ps - Should I run two days in a row?
  • danzsir
    danzsir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome!!!!! Nothing compares!
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options

I run only every other day and cross train in between.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Interval training is great for beginners.

I started running about a year ago and am training for my 1st half marathon in 3 weeks. I am currently logging 22-25 miles a week. I would not recommend running consecutively as I believe the body needs the rest and recovery time but listen to your body and it will tell you what it can/cannot handle.

Running does wonders for weight loss if you properly fuel yourself (water, extra cals to feed the burn).

Just start off slowly, increase gradually with what you feel comfortable with and enjoy the time in the fresh air.
  • TaniaMcCormick
    Options
    humm thank you, i think I'm going to run every other day then :D

Last time i've tried to run 2 days in a row..well.. it was painful!
  • ElinaCarroll
    Options
    Hey Tania,
    I also recently started running - just 3 weeks ago. The first day I could hardly run a minute at a time, had sharp pain in my lungs and stitches all over my body. I rested a few days drinking plenty of water and having plenty of protein until the pain went away.. The second run was much better, tho I was still struggling.. And during the third run I was quite amazed at how my body was adapting.. After being chased by several dogs in the park (lol!) I decided to invest in a running machine, which helps me build up my stamina and endurance, as well as listen to my favourite workout music (I prefer the 2011 Workout Mix album..) and zone out safely. The running machine has several programmes, I started a 30 min slower one (3 mph and 6 mph, about 2 miles), gradually building up to longer and faster ones (8 mph and 6 mph, 60 mins, about 5k). If I do a whole hour, then I do strength training or cross train on the following day (bike and rowing) instead of running, if I do not have the time and run for just 30 mins then I simply run on consecutive days.. The most important thing is not to push yourself too much, and listen to your body. I can also recomment the Women's Guide to Running of the Health and Fitness Magazine, it was invaluable to me!! I use the warm-up routine and the strength routine there. Once my endurance builds up I will start using the 10k and half marathon routines programmes from the magazine :)
    Did I see a difference? Absolutely. Much more impressive than when I was only biking. It's been only 3 weeks and I have lost 6 pounds. My fitness has increased greatly, I started losing weight even before I joined myfitnesspal to watch my calories and add some structure to my weight loss and to make sure I am having enough nutrition to fuel my running. I honestly feel great. And this comes from a person who absolutely hated running until recently!!
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    Best way is to build up the R/W (run/walk) as you are doing, in minutes from 1/1 to 2/1. 3/1, 4/1 etc, i always suggest this to beginners. Extend the running gradually until you are runnng for 30 minutes non stop and cut out the walking completely, should take 2/3 times a week for 10 weeks maximum, even as a complete beginner, to comfortably run for 30 minutes.

Once you are comfortable with this then you can continue to increase your distance by 10% blocks each trip out. (i.e. 30 minutes should push you to approx 3 miles or thereabouts from a beginner, so then increase to 3.3m, then 10% of that added on the following week; 3.66m and so on :happy:

We have a project in the UK run by UK Athletics called 'Run England' which i am involved in which targets beginners to get people involved at all levels and increase participation in this free and low expense form of exercise

Lastly, running is the biggest calorie burner there is alongside lane swimming, approx 18 cals per minute :happy:
  • TaniaMcCormick
    Options
    and HRM? what are your opinions?

I'm loving to read all that you've got to say *.*
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started running "from scratch" in February with the c25k program. Now I'm running three days a week, anywhere from 2 - 4 miles per run. I have a New Balance N4 HRM which I love - it works great.

Edited to add: Oh, and yes it has helped with my weight loss, or more specifically, my fat loss! :bigsmile: Back fat has all but disappeared and it's shrinking elsewhere, too! Bought jeans a size smaller last week! (I also do various DVD workouts at home 5-6 days per week, mostly Jillian Michaels stuff). I added running because I can do it almost anywhere!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It depends. Most weeks I run 4 days. T, W, Th and Saturday. Between 30-40 miles depending on my Saturday run. It will impact your weight loss goals. Just be on the watch out for increased appetite. Don't run a ton and then think it's OK to go overboard on calories!

As far as HRM's go, I use a combo unit that also has a GPS. The Garmin Forerunner 305. A superb device. If you really only want HR, then Polar is an excellent choice. But I really like to know my pace when I run, my distance, etc and be able to upload it to the innerwebs.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I detested running more than anything. I couldnt do 3 minutes without that horrible feeling in my lungs. However I know I wanted to do a 5k, so I downloaded Runkeeper on my iphone and basically set a 5k distance and just ran, and walked when I couldnt anymore. After about 3 weeks I wasn't walking at all. And just aimed to do it in less than 30 minutes, only done that once but improved my average time from 45 mins to 32ish.

I then basically said to myself I am going to run every day, it hurt a bit at first, but i knew it was fine so long as i went easy. I pushed myself and just said even if I could only do 10 minutes, I was going to get out, every day and run. And it worked, I started losing about 3-4 lbs a week. And I felt great.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't have a schedule that I stick to. I just run when I feel like it and however far I'm in the mood for. But usually 2-3 times a week on the tredmill for 30 - 50 minutes (5-8km) then I like to do a longer run outside once or twice a week in the weekends :). I need to get a stop watch so I can work on improving my times. Before now I have been working on improving distance and got up to 14km before hurting my leg so I think I need to go easy for a while.